- Information We Collect
- IP Address
- Information Relating to Children
- Information Use, Sharing and Disclosure
- Third Party Advertising
- Confidentiality and Security
- Changing your Preferences and Personal Information
- International Users
- Contacting Language Tools
This policy covers how Language Tools, ("Language Tools," "we," "us," or "our") treats personal information that it collects and receives on languagetools.io, sites, and applications related to Language Tools. This notice tells you what information we collect, steps we take to protect and secure it, how we use and share information, and finally, how you can contact us with questions or concerns.
1. Information We Collect
- Language Tools collects personal information when you register with us, use Language Tools products or services, or post content on a Language Tools site; this personal information may include your name, email, user name and password, and date of birth.
- Language Tools may also collect personal information when you enter into promotions or sweepstakes; this personal information may include your name, email, user name and password, and date of birth.
- Language Tools may also collect information about your transactions with us and with some of our business partners. This information might include necessary information to process your due payments to us, such as your credit card number.
- Language Tools may automatically receive and record information on our server logs from your browser, including your IP address, cookies, and the pages you request.
2. IP Address
Language Tools obtains IP addresses from users depending upon how you access our web sites. IP addresses, browser and session information may be used for various purposes, including to:
- Diagnose and prevent service or technology problems reported by our users or engineers that are associated with the IP addresses controlled by a specific web company or ISP.
- Estimate the total number of users visiting Language Tools web sites or applications from specific geographical regions.
- Help determine which users have access privileges to certain content, services or resources that we offer.
- Monitor and prevent fraud and abuse.
- Provide more relevant advertisements to you.
- A cookie is a small amount of data, which often includes an anonymous unique identifier that is sent to your browser from a web site's computers and stored on your computer's hard drive.
- If you reject all cookies, you may not be able to use Language Tools services or products that require you to "sign in" and you may not be able to take full advantage of all offerings.
- You can configure your browser to accept all cookies, reject all cookies or notify you when a cookie is set.
- Language Tools uses its own cookies for a number of purposes, including to:
- Require you to re-enter your password after a certain period of time has elapsed to protect you against others accidentally accessing your account contents.
- Keep track of preferences you specify while you are using the Language Tools Sites, Products and Services.
- Estimate and report our total audience size and traffic.
- Conduct research to improve the content and services provided on the Language Tools Sites, Products and Services.
- Ensure that visitors are not repeatedly offered the same advertisements and to customize advertising based on browser type and user profile information.
- Language Tools lets other entities that show advertisements or provide services on some of our web pages set and access their cookies on your computer. Other entities' use of their cookies is subject to their own privacy policies, and not this policy. Advertisers or other entities do not have access to Language Tools cookies.
4. Information Relating to Children and Minors
- Protecting the privacy of young children is especially important. For that reason, Language Tools does not knowingly collect personally identifiable information through the Language Tools web site from persons under 13 years of age, and no part of Language Tools service is directed to persons under 13.
- If you are under 13 years of age or, in the event of certain regions, 16 years of age, then please do not use or access the Language Tools service or web site at any time or in any manner.
- If, for any reason a minor has shared personal information with us, said minor may request and obtain removal of such information by contacting. Although we offer deletion capability you should be aware that the removal of content may not ensure complete or comprehensive removal of that content or information posted.
5. Information Use, Sharing and Disclosure
- Language Tools does not share personal information we learn about you from your use of the Language Tools web sites, products and services with others except as described in this policy.
- Language Tools uses the personal information it collects for the following general purposes: products and services provision, billing, identification and authentication, services improvement, contact, research, and anonymous reporting.
- When you provide personal information through using Language Tools you are sharing your personal information with Language Tools and its affiliated entities. The use of your personal information by these organizations is subject to this policy.
- We do not share your information with unrelated third parties for their direct marketing purposes. However, Language Tools may display targeted advertisements based on personally non-identifiable information (such as browser type and IP address) and/or personal selection (See the Section entitled Third Party Advertising below for more information on how your information is shared with advertisers).
- Language Tools may use or share your personal information where it is necessary to complete a transaction, to operate or improve the Language Tools products and services, to do something that you have asked us to do, or tell you of products and services that we think may be of interest.
- From time to time, Language Tools or a partner, may sponsor a promotion, sweepstake or contest on Language Tools. You may be asked to provide personal information including name, email address or home address or to answer questions in order to participate. Language Tools may transfer personal information to certain advertising partners that you have explicitly requested to receive information from. It will be clear at the point of collection who is collecting the personal information and whose privacy statement will apply.
Sharing of Personal Information, Legal DisclaimerWe may also share personal information about you in the following circumstances:
- In the course of operating our business it may be necessary or appropriate for us to provide access to your personal information to others such as our service providers, contractors and select vendors so that we can operate Language Tools and our business.
- Language Tools will display your "Display Name" on your profile. Language Tools will display your name and any other user-submitted profile information on your profile according to the preferences you set in your account.
- Email addresses and full names may be used when a user invites a friend via email to join Language Tools and when Language Tools sends notifications to a user related to their use of Language Tools.
- When you post a message on a Language Tools Site or Application, you have the ability to post a message which may include personally identifiable information about yourself.
- If you post personal information online that is accessible to the public, you may receive unsolicited messages from other parties in return.
- We may share your personal information to respond to subpoenas, court orders, or legal process, to establish or exercise our legal rights or, defend against legal claims and if in our judgment in such circumstances disclosure is required or appropriate.
How to Opt-OutWhere you are contacted with an offer or service based on information you have shared with Language Tools, we will do our best to provide you with an opportunity to opt-out of receiving such further communications at the time you are contacted via a link in the footer of such correspondence; however, in connection with any of our paid products and services (i.e., products or services that you license or use for a fee), we reserve the right to send you certain communications relating to those products and services, such as service announcements, and administrative messages, that are considered part of your Language Tools account, without offering you the opportunity to opt-out of receiving them.
6. Third Party Advertising
Language Tools does not share any personally identifiable information with advertisers. Language Tools may share general demographic information (such as aggregated statistics about members' interests and occupations) and non-personally identifiable information (such as browser type and IP addresses) with advertisers and partners. Language Tools does not give advertisers access to your individual personal account information. However, by selecting, interacting with or viewing an ad you are consenting to the possibility that the advertiser will make the assumption that you meet the targeting criteria used to display the ad.
Language Tools may revise, modify or update this policy. We may notify you about significant changes in the way we treat personal information by sending a notice to the primary email address specified in your particular Language Tools account or by placing a prominent notice on our site. You are encouraged to check this policy frequently for any changes as your continued use of the Language Tools service indicates your consent to such changes.
8. Confidentiality and Security
No data transmissions over the Internet can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. Consequently, we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to us and you do so at your own risk. Once we receive your information, we take reasonable measures to secure it on our systems, using SSL encryption.
If Language Tools learns of a security breach we may attempt to notify you electronically so that you can take appropriate protective steps or as otherwise may be required by law in your local jurisdiction, if applicable. By using Language Tools or providing personal information to us you agree that we can communicate with you electronically regarding security, privacy and administrative issues relating to your use of those sites, products and services. We may post a notice on our applicable web sites if a security breach occurs. If this happens, you will need a web browser enabling you to view the applicable web sites. We may also send an email to you at the email address you have provided to us in these circumstances.
9. Changing your Preferences and Personal Information
You can edit your account information with Language Tools at any time. Most personal information you may provide is entirely optional. For example, to the extent that parents are considering whether to permit their children to use Language Tools, we do not condition a child's participation based upon their provision of any more personal information than is necessary to operate those sites, products and services.
You can delete your applicable account by visiting the applicable account deletion page; however, please note that some personal information, primarily your contact information, may remain in our records to the extent necessary to protect our legal interests or document compliance with regulatory requirements.
10. International Users
Notice to California ResidentsYour California Privacy Rights (As Provided by California Civil Code Section 1798.83) A California resident who has provided personal information to a business with whom he/she has established a business relationship for personal, family, or household purposes (a “California Customer”) may request information about whether the business has disclosed personal information to any third parties for the third parties’ direct marketing purposes, subject to certain exceptions. In general, again, subject to certain exceptions, if the business has made such a disclosure of personal information, upon receipt of a request by a California Customer, the business is required to provide a list of all third parties to whom it disclosed personal information in the preceding calendar year, as well as a list of the categories of personal information that were disclosed. One of the exceptions allows Language Tools to provide California Customers a cost-free means to opt out of these disclosures instead of providing such list. Any customer may request to opt out of these disclosures by contacting us as described above. California Customers may also request further information about our compliance with this law by contacting us at our address below.
11. Contacting Language Tools
If you have a privacy concern regarding Language Tools, or this policy, have any questions or need assistance, please contact Language Tools Customer Service as follows:
Online Support: Contact Us
Update: July 1, 2018