What opportunities have languages given you?

Posts0Likes0Joined17/9/2019LocationMexico City / MX
Native
Spanish
Learning English, German

Recently I was talking to my family about why it is so great to know English in Mexico, and in my case also German.

As a bit of context, I recently left school and I was left only with my highschool degree but with still a lot of knowledge. Even tho I should have it hard, I have great job opportunities because I speak two and "a half" languages: I have found great jobs for bilinguals in my city, and even one that required no experience, only German, that paid enough for my rent.

This post is not meant to brag, I assume people on this forum are all in a very similar position, so I want to know. What kind of opportunities have languages given you?

Language shapes our view of the world.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined19/9/2019LocationSão Paulo / BR
Native
Portuguese
Learning English, French, Italian, Spanish

I started teaching my schoolmates when I was 15, which gave me some popularity, although I was very shy. It also convinced my parents I could go in an exchange program. Later, when I was taking Italian classes, the teacher recommended me to the school owner as I managed grammar very well, and that was my first job!

Being a teacher in that school, I was offered a free Spanish course! The teachers' cheering also made me take up French. So, when I entered university I was able to read in four languages.

Edited 
Posts0Likes0Joined17/9/2019LocationMexico City / MX
Native
Spanish
Learning English, German

Wow, that's so cool! I am sure that starting university knowing four languages is not something common and that it gave you many advantages. It must have also been great to be able to have job opportunities that young. I personally enjoy teaching a lot, so I am glad you got to have that kind of job so soon in your career. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do! :)

Language shapes our view of the world.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined19/9/2019LocationSão Paulo / BR
Native
Portuguese
Learning English, French, Italian, Spanish

ZairaI.Uranga wrote:
Wow, that's so cool! I am sure that starting university knowing four languages is not something common and that it gave you many advantages. It must have also been great to be able to have job opportunities that young. I personally enjoy teaching a lot, so I am glad you got to have that kind of job so soon in your career. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do! :)
I do!!!! A class always changes my day into better!

Posted 
    Feedback