Phrasal verbs

Posts0Likes0Joined19/9/2019LocationSão Paulo / BR
Native
Portuguese
Learning English, French, Italian, Spanish

Does it sound like a dictionary, to you native people, when a foreigner chooses to use a simple verb, instead of a prhasal verb? Or simply more formal?

Posted 
Posts1637Likes1093Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

That's hard to answer without context. Do you have an example?

In the Philippines now.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined20/9/2019LocationAdelaide / AU
Native
Japanese
Learning English

I also want to know the answer of this from native English speakers! For example, the phrasal verb of 'cancel' is 'call off' and similarly, 'postpone' can be said 'put off'. Which sounds more natural and is frequently used ? 

Yuka.C

Posted 
Posts1637Likes1093Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

Yuka wrote:
I also want to know the answer of this from native English speakers! For example, the phrasal verb of 'cancel' is 'call off' and similarly, 'postpone' can be said 'put off'. Which sounds more natural and is frequently used ?

I think "I cancelled the appointment" is a bit more common than "I called off the appointment", but "I called off the wedding" is a bit more common that "I cancelled the wedding". Both are natural and frequently used, but there may be some rule that I don't know about since I'm not a teacher. I think it's more common to say called off when there was a lot of effort put into the object, but I could be wrong.

In the Philippines now.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined19/9/2019LocationSão Paulo / BR
Native
Portuguese
Learning English, French, Italian, Spanish

leosmith wrote:
That's hard to answer without context. Do you have an example?
Actually I wasn't thinking about anything specific, but your question, and later explanation about call off vs cancel, were a response: I understood it's just like any other vocabulary choice, depending on context and mere use (idiomatic). I mean, there's no such generalization as formal/informal. 

Posted 
    Feedback