Resources for Learning Swahili

level
Posts1032Likes659Joined18/3/2018LocationTH
Native
English
Learning Swahili

My level in Swahili used to be about B1 (lower intermediate) 17 years ago, but I've forgotten almost all of it so I'm putting together a list of resources that I plan on using to bring it up to speed before returning to Tanzania. If you have any suggestions, please post them below. If I like them I might add them to my list.

Base program:

Pimsleur Swahili

Audio supplement:

Swahilipod101

Dictionary:

Online Swahili Dictionary

Text Books/Grammars:

Teach Yourself Swahili

Simplified Swahili

Swahili: A Foundation for Speaking, Reading, and Writing

Reading & Listening

Learning by Ear

Storybooks Canada Kiswahili

Habari za UN

LanguageMedia CultureTalk Tanzania

I'm reading the Malazan Book of the Fallen.

Edited 
level
Posts43Likes42Joined18/6/2019LocationSan Jose Del Monte / PH
Native
English
Learning Cebuano, Indonesian, Malay, Tagalog

Glossika has Swahili but they're service is now a monthly subscription. Their courses tend to be okay, and when I bought my first Glossika course back in 2016 they were a reasonable 70 usd for the whole package. I'm not sure if their older resources can't be found. You can find a few of them still up for sale on Amazon, but none for Swahili. 

Also check the usual fare of yojik.eu/livelingua for the FSI/DLI/Peacecorps things, and bible.is if you're hard up for listening material. I wish you kept a log Leo to see what you do daily would be probably inspiring for the newbies here.

Find me on Discord:

https://discord.gg/R4zepcA

Posted 
level
Posts1032Likes659Joined18/3/2018LocationTH
Native
English
Learning Swahili

Thanks for your suggestions! Glossika doesn't fit my learning style very well. I'd consider using it in the style of the old "Learn in your car", audio only, if I was commuting regularly but that's not going to happen. I've checked out the FSI and it might be ok as a reference but it's very dated. I'm not religious, so no bible for me. Honestly, I think the language is going to come right back. One thing that I'm really lacking is a good source of text with audio, like a news station that does transcripts or something. 

I'll consider doing a log, but only if I feel it's an interesting read. Sometimes it's hard to get motivated to write about daily routines and such.

I'm reading the Malazan Book of the Fallen.

Edited 
    Feedback