You can now learn a new language using Netflix!

Posts0Likes0Joined6/10/2018LocationLagos / NG
Native
English
Other French

Thanks to a Chrome extension called Language Learning With Netflix, you can now learn a new language by watching Netflix.

All you need to do is install the Language Learning With Netflix Chrome extension. Then, you pick a film to watch, select the language you want to learn how to speak and the language you can already speak, and away you go. It really is that simple.

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/learn-new-language-watching-netflix/

See for yourself. 

Kevwe A.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined10/7/2018LocationTrece Martires City / PH
Native
Tagalog
Other English

whew! have you tried it?

do the right thing even when nobody is watching

Posted 
Posts1630Likes1092Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

Oghenekevwe wrote:
you can now learn a new language by watching Netflix

While this seems like a really cool app, this statement is an exaggeration imo. I mean very few people, if any, will use this as their sole source for learning a language. I think they should be honest and say something like "studying languages using videos and subtitles on Netflix is now easier and more efficient with our new app". 

I would also like to point out that Viki TV has a very similar product. This is a good thing, because in the end all this competition means the learner will have more tools to choose from. While these apps are handy, they are both limited by the availability of subtitles in both your L1 and L2. 

There was a study done a while back comparing the effectiveness of watching video with no subtitles vs L1 subtitles vs L2 subtitles. L2 subtitles was the clear winner. I hope there will be a new study comparing L2 subtitles vs double subtitles vs L2 subtitles with selective look-ups.

In Thailand now. Next up Tanzania and Philippines.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined8/7/2018LocationAlmeria / ES
Native
English
Other Arabic - Egyptian, French, German, Spanish

This is awesome you absornb so much through subtitles switching just make sure you don't try to learn a literal word for word manner

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined11/7/2018LocationManila / PH
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, Korean

Oghenekevwe wrote:
Thanks to a Chrome extension called Language Learning With Netflix, you can now learn a new language by watching Netflix.
All you need to do is install the Language Learning With Netflix Chrome extension. Then, you pick a film to watch, select the language you want to learn how to speak and the language you can already speak, and away you go. It really is that simple.
https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/learn-new-language-watching-netflix/
See for yourself.

I saw this before but I mostly watch Netflix on my TV. :( 

--

ikay

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined5/6/2018LocationLapu-lapu / PH
Native
Cebuano, Tagalog
Other English

Hi Oghenekevwe! Wow, very useful. Thanks for sharing! 

Charlyn Amoin

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined8/10/2018LocationCebu / PH
Native
Cebuano, English, Tagalog
Learning French, Japanese, Spanish

Oh, this is cool! I'm a fan of Netflix (guilty of watching too much movies than I'm supposed to haha) so I'd check this out!

Though personally, I'm not sure if I would enjoy watching a movie while trying to "learn" a language at the same time. Hmm let's see..

Everyday is a learning journey. Keep going!

Posted 
    Feedback