Practising tenses

Posts0Likes0Joined8/7/2018LocationAlmeria / ES
Native
English
Other Arabic - Egyptian, French, German, Spanish

In English we have 12 tenses and they tend to follow the rules

In Spanish there are 14 (some argue 15)

I was curious how many there are in the languages you are learning?

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined11/7/2018LocationManila / PH
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, Korean

This made me a littel sad because I honestly don't know how many tenses there are in my language. T__T

--

ikay

Posted 
Posts1630Likes1092Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

ikaymoreno wrote:
This made me a littel sad because I honestly don't know how many tenses there are in my language. T__T
Technically speaking, the answer is zero. There are 4 aspects though - infinitive, completed, incompleted and contemplated.

In Thailand now. Next up Tanzania and Philippines.

Posted 
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, Korean

leosmith wrote:
ikaymoreno wrote:
Technically speaking, the answer is zero. There are 4 aspects though - infinitive, completed, incompleted and contemplated.

Never heard of those. Will Google them to know more. :) I also can't recall any lesson for Filipino tenses. Huh. Found this online though.

https://owlcation.com/humanities/Filipino-Verbs-and-Tenses

--

ikay

Posted 
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

ikaymoreno wrote:
Never heard of those. Will Google them to know more. :) I also can't recall any lesson for Filipino tenses. Huh. Found this online though. https://owlcation.com/humanities/Filipino-Verbs-and-Tenses

Unfortunately the author is trying to shoehorn Tagalog into english-like grammar; she's labeling aspects as tenses, which unfortunately happens a lot with Tagalog. This post explains it much better imo:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Tagalog/comments/91uzg8/aspect_or_tense/

Edited 
Native
English

Could you explain it to me Leo ? In Arabic they use past prent and future only but again the aren't really tenses as we catagorize them is contemplated similar to if (this). Then I would that ? Or am I completely off the mark

Edited 
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, Korean

leosmith wrote:
ikaymoreno wrote:
Never heard of those. Will Google them to know more. :) I also can't recall any lesson for Filipino tenses. Huh. Found this online though. https://owlcation.com/humanities/Filipino-Verbs-and-Tenses

Unfortunately the author is trying to shoehorn Tagalog into english-like grammar; she's labeling aspects as tenses, which unfortunately happens a lot with Tagalog. This post explains it much better imo:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Tagalog/comments/91uzg8/aspect_or_tense/

Thanks! :)

--

ikay

Posted 
Native
English
Learning German

Jade.Xuereb wrote:
Could you explain it to me Leo ? In Arabic they use past prent and future only but again the aren't really tenses as we catagorize them is contemplated similar to if (this). Then I would that ? Or am I completely off the mark

I can't speak for Arabic, but if it's similar to Tagalog, the link I gave above would do a better job of explaining than I could.

Posted 
Native
English

I did read your links but it makes zero sense to me 

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined10/7/2018LocationTrece Martires City / PH
Native
Tagalog
Other English

leosmith wrote:
ikaymoreno wrote:

What are these in Tagalog?

do the right thing even when nobody is watching

Posted 
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, Korean

Michelle.Batan wrote:
leosmith wrote:
ikaymoreno wrote:

What are these in Tagalog?

I don't remember covering tenses in Filipino. We discussed parts of speech, vocabulary, and idiomatic expressions. Do you remember it being discussed?

--

ikay

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined10/7/2018LocationBinan City / PH
Native
Tagalog
Other English

ikaymoreno wrote:

I know about our verb tenses way back in high school...they were called "pangnagdaan" "pangkasalukuyan", and "panghinaharap". But I don't know if it has been updated or changed now because it has been more than 10 years now...hehe

Edzky-18

Edited 
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, Korean

I asked my daughter who's in junior high and she also can't recall covering Filipino tenses. :P

--

ikay

Posted 
    Feedback