What are your Pet Peeves?

level
8
Posts298Likes159Joined6/10/2018LocationLagos / NG
Native
English
Other French

Mine is those who use "am" instead of "I'm". It really pisses me off.

What's yours?

Kevwe A.

Posted 
1
#1
level
5
Posts112Likes33Joined15/10/2018LocationLingayen, Pangasinan / PH
Native
English, Tagalog
Learning Japanese, Korean
Other Arabic - Standard

Mine is the improper use of they're, there and their.  

Posted 
2
#2
level
9
Posts385Likes192Joined11/7/2018LocationManila / PH
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, Korean

People touching my pens. I feel like their body oils seep under my skin when I use my pen. :S

--

ikay

Posted 
1
#3
level
8
Posts298Likes159Joined6/10/2018LocationLagos / NG
Native
English
Other French

Rai.S. wrote:
Mine is the improper use of they're, there and their. :face_palm:

I feel you Sister. It gets me really upset every time people use them incorrectly and i have to bite my tongue from correcting them.

Kevwe A.

Edited 
1
#4
level
8
Posts298Likes159Joined6/10/2018LocationLagos / NG
Native
English
Other French

ikaymoreno wrote:
People touching my pens. I feel like their body oils seep under my skin when I use my pen. :S

That's deep mehn!

Kevwe A.

Posted 
0
#5
level
7
Posts142Likes114Joined4/10/2018Location
Native
Chinese - Mandarin, English, Chinese - Cantonese
Other French, Indonesian, Russian, Thai, Vietnamese

Rai.S. wrote:
Mine is the improper use of they're, there and their. :face_palm:


Oh geez - that's also my pet peeve. I can always feel my head exploding whenever people use the wrong one. The worst part is I still have to politely smile, and try not to be too pedantic.

Posted 
0
#6
level
9
Posts363Likes174Joined10/7/2018LocationBinan City / PH
Native
Tagalog
Other English

Rai.S. wrote:

Mine is the improper use of they're, there and their. :face_palm:


Plus one for this...haha. In addition, it's a sore in my eyes when I got to see people using "kong" instead of "kung" and vice versa, in our language. One is possesive while the latter is conditional. Example...


1) Ang anak KONG bunso ay mabait.(My youngest child is kind.)

2) KUNG maganda ang epekto sa aking kalugusan, bibili ako ng produkto. (If the effect is good for my health, I'll buy the product.) 

Edzky-18

Posted 
1
#7
level
9
Posts409Likes155Joined10/7/2018LocationTrece Martires City / PH
Native
Tagalog
Other English

improper use of "your" and "you're" 😂

do the right thing even when nobody is watching

Posted 
1
#8
level
5
Posts112Likes33Joined15/10/2018LocationLingayen, Pangasinan / PH
Native
English, Tagalog
Learning Japanese, Korean
Other Arabic - Standard

Oghenekevwe wrote:

I feel you Sister. It gets me really upset every time people use them incorrectly and i have to bite my tongue from correcting them.


Right sis. And we wonder whether it's because the student lacked focus or other factors caused it.

Posted 
0
#9
level
5
Posts112Likes33Joined15/10/2018LocationLingayen, Pangasinan / PH
Native
English, Tagalog
Learning Japanese, Korean
Other Arabic - Standard

meifeng wrote:

Oh geez - that's also my pet peeve. I can always feel my head exploding whenever people use the wrong one. The worst part is I still have to politely smile, and try not to be too pedantic.


Right, meifeng. It's like an itch that you have to endure from scratching.

Posted 
0
#10
level
5
Posts112Likes33Joined15/10/2018LocationLingayen, Pangasinan / PH
Native
English, Tagalog
Learning Japanese, Korean
Other Arabic - Standard

edz.conde wrote:

Plus one for this...haha. In addition, it's a sore in my eyes when I got to see people using "kong" instead of "kung" and vice versa, in our language. One is possesive while the latter is conditional. Example...

1) Ang anak KONG bunso ay mabait.(My youngest child is kind.)

2) KUNG maganda ang epekto sa aking kalugusan, bibili ako ng produkto. (If the effect is good for my health, I'll buy the product.)


Omg, edz. It's frustrating that people nowadays fail to understand the difference between kong and kung.

Posted 
0
#11
level
6
Posts145Likes61Joined8/10/2018LocationCebu / PH
Native
Cebuano, English, Tagalog
Learning French, Japanese, Spanish

Not Language related but mine includes people who walk sooo slow (they're usually on their phone) in the middle of a busy street/corner/corrider/alley/pedestrian, aisle,etc.. and those that suddenly stop (while walking) without taking consideration/not minding the people behind them. Whenever this happens, I'd tell the person "EXCUSE MEEE" in a loud, sarcastic tone. Lol

Everyday is a learning journey. Keep going!


Posted 
0
#12
level
5
Posts112Likes33Joined15/10/2018LocationLingayen, Pangasinan / PH
Native
English, Tagalog
Learning Japanese, Korean
Other Arabic - Standard

Rose.Angelie wrote:

Not Language related but mine includes people who walk sooo slow (they're usually on their phone) in the middle of a busy street/corner/corrider/alley/pedestrian, aisle,etc.. and those that suddenly stop (while walking) without taking consideration/not minding the people behind them. Whenever this happens, I'd tell the person "EXCUSE MEEE" in a loud, sarcastic tone. Lol


It's okay to "lava walk" in a not-so-busy street, but not in a crowded place. It's irksome for people whose time is gold. :)

Posted 
0
#13
level
9
Posts385Likes192Joined11/7/2018LocationManila / PH
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, Korean

Rai.S. wrote:
Rose.Angelie wrote:
Not Language related but mine includes people who walk sooo slow (they're usually on their phone) in the middle of a busy street/corner/corrider/alley/pedestrian, aisle,etc.. and those that suddenly stop (while walking) without taking consideration/not minding the people behind them. Whenever this happens, I'd tell the person "EXCUSE MEEE" in a loud, sarcastic tone. Lol

It's okay to "lava walk" in a not-so-busy street, but not in a crowded place. It's irksome for people whose time is gold. :)


Group of friends walking like they're filiming an MV! Hahahahaha! It bothers me too.

--

ikay

Posted 
0
#14
level
6
Posts145Likes61Joined8/10/2018LocationCebu / PH
Native
Cebuano, English, Tagalog
Learning French, Japanese, Spanish

ikaymoreno wrote:

Group of friends walking like they're filiming an MV! Hahahahaha! It bothers me too.


MV na slow-mo hahaha kainis!

Everyday is a learning journey. Keep going!


Posted 
0
#15
level
6
Posts145Likes61Joined8/10/2018LocationCebu / PH
Native
Cebuano, English, Tagalog
Learning French, Japanese, Spanish

Rai.S. wrote:

It's okay to "lava walk" in a not-so-busy street, but not in a crowded place. It's irksome for people whose time is gold. :)


Hahaha the lava walk!

Everyday is a learning journey. Keep going!


Posted 
0
#16
level
8
Posts298Likes159Joined6/10/2018LocationLagos / NG
Native
English
Other French

Rose.Angelie wrote:
Not Language related but mine includes people who walk sooo slow (they're usually on their phone) in the middle of a busy street/corner/corrider/alley/pedestrian, aisle,etc.. and those that suddenly stop (while walking) without taking consideration/not minding the people behind them. Whenever this happens, I'd tell the person "EXCUSE MEEE" in a loud, sarcastic tone. Lol

hahaha when that happens to me i tell them "you're gonna be a very bad driver" 

Kevwe A.

Posted 
0
#17
level
9
Posts204Likes76Joined5/6/2018LocationLapu-lapu / PH
Native
Cebuano, Tagalog
Other English

Mine, if one purposely say yeah instead of simply saying yes...  

Charlyn Amoin

Posted 
0
#18
level
5
Posts112Likes33Joined15/10/2018LocationLingayen, Pangasinan / PH
Native
English, Tagalog
Learning Japanese, Korean
Other Arabic - Standard

Charlyn wrote:
Mine, if one purposely say yeah instead of simply saying yes... :wink:


Especially if he/she is a young individual talking to an older person, right? That was one of my pet peeves too.

Edited 
0
#19
level
6
Posts145Likes61Joined8/10/2018LocationCebu / PH
Native
Cebuano, English, Tagalog
Learning French, Japanese, Spanish

Charlyn wrote:
Mine, if one purposely say yeah instead of simply saying yes... :wink:


How about YEP? Haha I often say YEP LOL

Everyday is a learning journey. Keep going!


Posted 
0
#20
    Feedback