Should language teachers be native speakers?

Should language teachers be native speakers?

55.6%

44.4%

This poll will run forever.

Ent
Posts760Likes 466Joined 18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning Korean
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

We recently had this topic, so I wanted to make a twist on it. Even though there are some highly qualified non-native teachers, I personally only use teachers for conversation, so that's all I want. But maybe you feel otherwise. For example, maybe you want a native speaker of your own language to explain complicated grammar points in the L2 (target language). Vote please :)

Signature

Edited
Ranger
Posts347Likes 189Joined 13/7/2018LocationPasig / PH
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, French, Spanish

I vote yes. This is actually a prime requisite of Berlitz Philippines and I happen to agree with it.

Posted
Dwarf
Posts68Likes 37Joined 6/10/2018LocationJonestown / US
Native
English
Learning Italian, Spanish

I am in between on this one. It would be a plus if they were a native speaker! However, it does not mean someone who is not, does not know how to speak the language. Native speakers know a whole lot more and can provide better education on the language but there are many who aren't that are very knowledgeable as well. So, though it would be a perk, I think my vote is no that they shouldn't have to be native speakers. 

Taylor Fabio

Posted
Ranger
Posts418Likes 211Joined 4/9/2018LocationCaracas / VE
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

I voted yes, I believe that it's easier if the teacher is native in one of the languages (your own or your target language)

Posted
Ranger
Posts298Likes 150Joined 10/7/2018LocationBinan City / PH
Native
Tagalog
Other English

It's a case to case basis for me. I voted "no" because like for instance here in our country, there are many English teachers who are highly qualified, and they really can teach the language very well. Proofs of that are the international students we have in our company whom they have chosen the Philippines to study English. Of course aside from being affordable, according to them English teachers in the country are great teachers because they could easily understand them. Most of our foreign students came from nearby countries like Korea, China, Malaysia and Indonesia.

Note: I'm not one of those English teachers, but I'm part of an academe community.

Edzky-18

Edited
Ranger
Posts298Likes 165Joined 11/7/2018LocationManila / PH
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, Korean

I voted no. :) When I facilitate accent classes, it helps a lot that I speak Tagalog too because I can explain why we say "por" instead of "four" and even come up with exercises and activities targeting areas specific to Filipinos learning English. However, there are definitely advantages to having a native speaker teach you as well. It's instant immersion to the sound and even the mannerisms of language.

--

ikay

Posted
Elf
Posts111Likes 96Joined 4/10/2018Location
Native
Chinese - Mandarin, English, Chinese - Cantonese
Other French, Indonesian, Russian, Thai, Vietnamese

I voted no. It is probably a plus for a language teacher to be native, but a highly-trained teacher can probably do the job. 

My native-Korean friend is a Korean lecturer at a university. She's not an English native speaker, but her side gig involves teaching Korean-speaking students English. That she's a trained-linguist probably helps her explain English to her Korean students who are learning English. In that case, I don't think that her students will benefit any more from learning from a native English speaker given her English proficiency and her academic background.

Posted