Do you think that writing down words help with learning?

Do you think that writing down words help with learning?

9
90%

1
10%

This poll will run forever.

Elf
Posts164Likes 64Joined 15/9/2018LocationSkopje / MK
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

In this media age, everyone can learn a language just by watching videos and typing stuff online...but... do you think that writing down words with pen(cil) and paper would actually help you learn a certain language faster?


Idk, this may sound dumb honestly but I am interested...do any of you people learning languages online have notebooks with notes or do you do that all online? 

Posted
2
#1
Ranger
Posts230Likes 120Joined 16/9/2018Location
Native
Spanish
Other English, Italian

Everyone have different kind of learning styles. For me, I have to write down stuff to memorize it. I also prefer actual books than electronic versions. So yeah that can help but it depends on your specific learning style.

-Ari-

Posted
2
#2
Elf
Posts155Likes 65Joined 5/6/2018LocationLapu-lapu / PH
Native
Cebuano, Tagalog
Other English

Writing down with pencil and paper while learning is quite disturbing for me. I prefer hand-out copies or using online. 

Charlyn Amoin

Posted
0
#3
Ranger
Posts298Likes 150Joined 10/7/2018LocationBinan City / PH
Native
Tagalog
Other English

I have a small vocab notebook of spanish words and I jot down every new words that I encounter in my learning. Once in a while I browse through it and it helps a lot in building my spanish vocab. It also give my eyes a break from the screen.

Edzky-18

Posted
1
#4
Elf
Posts111Likes 96Joined 4/10/2018Location
Native
Chinese - Mandarin, English, Chinese - Cantonese
Other French, Indonesian, Russian, Thai, Vietnamese

I think it really depends on your learning style. 


I am over 30, so I am in the pencil/pen/paper generation. Writing something down in a notebook makes it memorable for me, but I can see how it might not work for other people. 


To each his/her own, I guess. 

Posted
0
#5
Ent
Posts760Likes 466Joined 18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning Korean
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

I find it very helpful. I believe in tackling vocabulary from as many sides as possible, to get as much of your brain as possible to help you out. Listening to it, repeating it, reading it, typing it, trying to recall it and writing it are all important imo. Here is a screen shot from this week:



Signature

Posted
4
#6
Ranger
Posts209Likes 117Joined 6/10/2018LocationLagos / NG
Native
English
Other French

Writing stuff down helps me remember. When I'm learning something, I have to write it down. That way, I can always refer to it. It feels to me like my hand and my brain are connected,so when my hands write, it's like I'm literally writing it in my memory too.

Kevwe A.

Posted
1
#7
Elf
Posts155Likes 65Joined 5/6/2018LocationLapu-lapu / PH
Native
Cebuano, Tagalog
Other English

Great notes Leo!  

Charlyn Amoin

Posted
1
#8
Ranger
Posts325Likes 225Joined 8/7/2018LocationAlmeria / ES
Native
English
Other Arabic - Egyptian, French, German, Spanish

It depends how your brain primarily functions but s lot of us, store kinetic memory and visual memories so the act of writing the word physically as well as seeing it is useful. 

Posted
2
#9
Ranger
Posts345Likes 130Joined 10/7/2018LocationTrece Martires City / PH
Native
Tagalog
Other English

taking down notes is a big help. very helpful for me.

do the right thing even when nobody is watching

Posted
0
#10
Dwarf
Posts50Likes 35Joined 6/10/2018LocationIrpin / UA
Native
Russian, Ukrainian
Other Dutch, English, German, Italian, Polish, Spanish

I find it really helpful to right down the words :) Somehow when I write something in a notebook I tend to learn it better than when I type it on the computer. So it does depend on a learner's type.


Posted
1
#11
Ranger
Posts298Likes 150Joined 10/7/2018LocationBinan City / PH
Native
Tagalog
Other English

leosmith wrote:

I find it very helpful. I believe in tackling vocabulary from as many sides as possible, to get as much of your brain as possible to help you out. Listening to it, repeating it, reading it, typing it, trying to recall it and writing it are all important imo. Here is a screen shot from this week:



Mine is more of a listing of spanish words and phrases with their English translations, to help me build my vocab. Haven't updated it for a while but will start writing down again.

Here it is, please excuse my handwriting.. 


Edzky-18

Edited
1
#12
Dwarf
Posts68Likes 37Joined 6/10/2018LocationJonestown / US
Native
English
Learning Italian, Spanish

Writing down the words and phrases is very helpful. It'll help learn the spelling and help recognize words when reading in said language. I believe writing it down helps very much. 

Taylor Fabio

Posted
1
#13
Ranger
Posts347Likes 189Joined 13/7/2018LocationPasig / PH
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, French, Spanish

Writing stuff down is helpful because it adds another neural pathway in your brain to associate something with a new learned thing. Like Leo said, get as much of your brain as possible to help you out.


Write down the phrase. Listen to the phrase. Listen to a recording that pauses to let you respond with the correct phrase. Watch the phrase on Sesame Street. Say the phrase out loud while listening to bistro music at a street cafe and sipping from your rich, aromatic cappuccino. Just, make as many associations as you can.  

Posted
1
#14
Dwarf
Posts68Likes 20Joined 10/12/2018Location
Native
German
Learning Afrikaans, Arabic - Standard, Danish, Dutch, English, Esperanto, French, Italian, Japanese, Latin, Norwegian, Portuguese, Romanian, Spanish, Swahili, Swedish, Toki Pona

dragonsky wrote:
Idk, this may sound dumb honestly but I am interested...do any of you people learning languages online have notebooks with notes or do you do that all online?

Now I am a bit puzzled. Why would that sound dumb to anyone?


Sometimes I write down notes in a file, but usually I prefer the pen and paper way. It seems that the idea of "manual writing supporting remembering words more easily" isn't as far-fetched as I maybe used to think a long time ago.


But the electronic approach has its advantages, too. I would prefer it when collecting a large number of phrases because of the time.


______________________________

SGP = Some[what/how] Geeky Polyglot

Fresh improvisations (on Soundcloud)

Posted
1
#15
Dwarf
Posts79Likes 46Joined 8/10/2018LocationCebu / PH
Native
Cebuano, English, Tagalog
Learning French, Japanese, Spanish

I used to write down new words everyday. It was definitely helpful! These days, I rely on videos and audio lessons.

Everyday is a learning journey. Keep going!


Posted
0
#16
Ranger
Posts298Likes 165Joined 11/7/2018LocationManila / PH
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, Korean

I grew up writign down things so it's helpful for me. I feel like I'm learning it twice when I write things down.

--

ikay

Posted
0
#17
Dwarf
Posts68Likes 20Joined 10/12/2018Location
Native
German
Learning Afrikaans, Arabic - Standard, Danish, Dutch, English, Esperanto, French, Italian, Japanese, Latin, Norwegian, Portuguese, Romanian, Spanish, Swahili, Swedish, Toki Pona

ikaymoreno wrote:
I grew up writign down things so it's helpful for me. I feel like I'm learning it twice when I write things down.


And I also grew up writing down things.

Still doing so for a number of purposes.


While also striving for balancing it, and not writing down too much.

Because one day I read that in some situations (not all), a piece of paper would act as an external brain cell.

And it would be one that isn't available all the time. 

Then I verified this claim a bit ;), and at least for me, it really was like that too often.


So writing something down could either aid or hinder remembering it, it depends.

______________________________

SGP = Some[what/how] Geeky Polyglot

Fresh improvisations (on Soundcloud)

Edited
0
#18
Ranger
Posts298Likes 165Joined 11/7/2018LocationManila / PH
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, Korean

SGP wrote:
ikaymoreno wrote:
I grew up writign down things so it's helpful for me. I feel like I'm learning it twice when I write things down.

And I also grew up writing down things.
Still doing so for a number of purposes.
While also striving for balancing it, and not writing down too much.
Because one day I read that in some situations (not all), a piece of paper would act as an external brain cell.
And it would be one that isn't available all the time.
Then I verified this claim a bit ;), and at least for me, it really was like that too often.
So writing something down could either aid or hinder remembering it, it depends.


I'm so old school I design PowerPoint presentations on paper. Hahahahahaha! I used to do that because we didn't have a computer so I need to have my sh*t all planned out before I go out and rent a computer to write a report or create a PPT. To this day, I create my outlines for manuals and PPTs on paper before I work on it on my laptop.


That and my to-do lists are still on paper. :) I use Asana for most of my projects but I still have a to-do list on paper. 

--

ikay

Posted
1
#19
Dwarf
Posts68Likes 20Joined 10/12/2018Location
Native
German
Learning Afrikaans, Arabic - Standard, Danish, Dutch, English, Esperanto, French, Italian, Japanese, Latin, Norwegian, Portuguese, Romanian, Spanish, Swahili, Swedish, Toki Pona

ikaymoreno wrote:
I'm so old school I design PowerPoint presentations on paper. Hahahahahaha! I used to do that because we didn't have a computer so I need to have my sh*t all planned out before I go out and rent a computer to write a report or create a PPT. To this day, I create my outlines for manuals and PPTs on paper before I work on it on my laptop


Someone designing Power Point presentations on paper?

Not a big surprise. Paper really is a Multi Purpose Tool after all.

Yes, many of us take it for granted. But a long time ago, it was too expensive or non-existent even.


When I was a teenager, someone had a reason to test my programming skills (which were very improvable, today they are quite rusty). So he asked me to write a small program's code without a computer. # PaperIsRetroButIStillLikeIt


______________________________

SGP = Some[what/how] Geeky Polyglot

Fresh improvisations (on Soundcloud)

Posted
0
#20