Is there variance in the pronunciation of French natives?

Ranger
Posts209Likes 117Joined 6/10/2018LocationLagos / NG
Native
English
Other French

During my study, I noticed that people pronounce words differently. For example, one person's way of saying 'bonjour' will sound just a little bit different when someone else says it so it's kind of confusing for me. How do I find the correct way to pronounce words?

Kevwe A.

Posted
0
#1
Ranger
Posts418Likes 211Joined 4/9/2018LocationCaracas / VE
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

Do you mean it like a regional thing or you mean it as the way you think it should sound vs the way it actually sounds?

Posted
0
#2
Ranger
Posts209Likes 117Joined 6/10/2018LocationLagos / NG
Native
English
Other French

for someone learning,how do you identify the correct pronunciation of a word? i'm currently using memrise to learn some vocabularies and i noticed different pronunciation of same words.

Kevwe A.

Posted
0
#3
Ranger
Posts418Likes 211Joined 4/9/2018LocationCaracas / VE
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

Oh, that's a good question. I don't know french, but maybe those words have different meanings? or it could be something regional :/.... This is a good question for Leo, maybe if we say "Leo" 3 times he'll appear :o

Edited
0
#4
Ent
Posts760Likes 466Joined 18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning Korean
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

Jess.PWinkler wrote:
maybe if we say "Leo" 3 times he'll appear :o

Le voilà!


Oghenekevwe wrote:
for someone learning, how do you identify the correct pronunciation of a word? i'm currently using memrise to learn some vocabularies and i noticed different pronunciation of same words.

Yes, there is variation but there is no need to be concerned. I suggest you choose one than you like and model your pronunciation after that. 


Signature

Posted
2
#5
Ranger
Posts325Likes 225Joined 8/7/2018LocationAlmeria / ES
Native
English
Other Arabic - Egyptian, French, German, Spanish

Yes, people often refer to French and Parisian french, so they sound different enough but don't get preoccupied over correct pronunciation focus on comprehension to progress

Posted
2
#6
Ranger
Posts209Likes 117Joined 6/10/2018LocationLagos / NG
Native
English
Other French

Jess.PWinkler wrote:

Oh, that's a good question. I don't know french, but maybe those words have different meanings? or it could be something regional :/.... This is a good question for Leo, maybe if we say "Leo" 3 times he'll appear :o

 

The Leo part got me laughing! Thanks for summoning him

Kevwe A.

Posted
1
#7
Ranger
Posts209Likes 117Joined 6/10/2018LocationLagos / NG
Native
English
Other French

leosmith wrote:

Jess.PWinkler wrote:

maybe if we say "Leo" 3 times he'll appear :o

Le voilà!

Oghenekevwe wrote:

for someone learning, how do you identify the correct pronunciation of a word? i'm currently using memrise to learn some vocabularies and i noticed different pronunciation of same words.

Yes, there is variation but there is no need to be concerned. I suggest you choose one than you like and model your pronunciation after that.

Thank you so much Leo,I was a bit confused before.

Kevwe A.

Posted
0
#8
Ranger
Posts209Likes 117Joined 6/10/2018LocationLagos / NG
Native
English
Other French

Jade.Xuereb wrote:

Yes, people often refer to French and Parisian french, so they sound different enough but don't get preoccupied over correct pronunciation focus on comprehension to progress

Definitely, someone told me the exact same thing yesterday. Thank you

Kevwe A.

Posted
0
#9