Speaking in Whistles: The Whistled Language of Oaxaca, Mexico

level
8
Posts298Likes159Joined6/10/2018LocationLagos / NG
Native
English
Other French

Whistled language is a rare form of communication that can be mostly found in locations with isolating features such as scattered settlements or mountainous terrain. The most thoroughly-researched whistled language however is Silbo Gomero, the language of the island of La Gomera (Canary Islands).

by Matthias Rascher 


Kevwe A.

Posted 
0
#1
level
10
Posts459Likes277Joined8/7/2018LocationAlmeria / ES
Native
English
Other Arabic - Egyptian, French, German, Spanish

I must admit I only know about this from the moaning of life TV series

Posted 
0
#2
level
8
Posts298Likes159Joined6/10/2018LocationLagos / NG
Native
English
Other French

Jade.Xuereb wrote:

I must admit I only know about this from the moaning of life TV series

From what I've gathered,they seem to spread across the world but very small communities. I also read about the Hmong people and how they can speak in whistles. The sounds normally allow farmers to chat across their fields and hunters to call to each in their forest. But their language is perhaps most beautifully expressed during a now rarely-performed act of courtship, when boys wander through the nearby villages at nightfall, whistling their favourite poems between the houses. If a girl responds, the couple then start a flirty dialogue.

I really need to travel the world,so many beautiful things to discover!

Kevwe A.

Posted 
0
#3
level
10
Posts436Likes220Joined4/9/2018LocationCaracas / VE
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

In my country there's a legend "El Silbón" (the whistler). It's used mainly to scare people... it is said that when the whistling sounds close, there's no danger and the whistler is far away, but when the whistling sounds distant, it means it is nearby. Here is the legend, is quite creepy: 


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Silb%C3%B3n

Posted 
0
#4
level
8
Posts298Likes159Joined6/10/2018LocationLagos / NG
Native
English
Other French

Jess.PWinkler wrote:

In my country there's a legend "El Silbón" (the whistler). It's used mainly to scare people... it is said that when the whistling sounds close, there's no danger and the whistler is far away, but when the whistling sounds distant, it means it is nearby. Here is the legend, is quite creepy:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Silb%C3%B3n

Very interesting read Jess,thanks for sharing. The silbon, was he a Whistler before he died?

Kevwe A.

Posted 
0
#5
level
10
Posts436Likes220Joined4/9/2018LocationCaracas / VE
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

Oghenekevwe wrote:

Very interesting read Jess,thanks for sharing. The silbon, was he a Whistler before he died?


Honestly I don't know.... All I know is that every time I hear that whistle I get goosebumps, my brother used to prank me with our cousin when we traveled to los llanos.

Posted 
0
#6
    Feedback