How effective is it to learn a language only by ear?

Posts114Likes81Joined8/10/2018LocationPH
Native
English, Tagalog
Learning Japanese

I have met some people who have learned a language strictly by ear (by mostly working abroad), meaning that their writing skills are beginner level at best. Do you think that this is a viable way of learning a language given its limitations? 

Posted 
Posts1630Likes1092Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

Mel.Palogan wrote:
Do you think that this is a viable way of learning a language given its limitations?

It depends on what you need to do with it.

In Thailand now. Next up Tanzania and Philippines.

Posted 
Posts230Likes123Joined16/9/2018Location
Native
Spanish
Other English, Italian

I believe is somewhat viable if you are just interested in verbal communication. Agree with previous poster, it depends.

-Ari-

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined5/6/2018LocationLapu-lapu / PH
Native
Cebuano, Tagalog
Other English

It's very effective especially if your interested in hearing those words and you could possibly used it for work or study. For me, it really matters of how interested I am and my intention in hearing them only audibly.

Charlyn Amoin

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined6/10/2018LocationLagos / NG
Native
English
Other French

Like Leo told me, it depends on what you hope to achieve from learning a particular language. If you're learning it for basic conversation, learning by ear will come in handy.

Kevwe A.

Posted 
Posts114Likes81Joined8/10/2018LocationPH
Native
English, Tagalog
Learning Japanese

Thanks for your thoughts guys, cheers!

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined6/10/2018LocationJonestown / US
Native
English
Learning Italian, Spanish

I think it is an okay way to learn if that is the way someone learns best. It may not be teaching them how to write the language but if they only want to speak it then it should suffice. 

Taylor Fabio

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined6/10/2018LocationIrpin / UA
Native
Russian, Ukrainian
Other Dutch, English, German, Italian, Polish, Spanish

I agree with the argument that such language acquisition might be sufficient, depending on the goal the speaker is attaining. If it is a simple communication – it would be more than enough. 

On the other hand, one may still make mistakes because there are many homophones in a language. I believe it is quite difficult to learn the structure and grammatical rules of the language just by listening to it. Besides, when one decides to acquire writing skills, it might be quite challenging at the beginning.

Do you think, one can acquire a proper C1-C2 level of competences this way?

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined8/7/2018LocationAlmeria / ES
Native
English
Other Arabic - Egyptian, French, German, Spanish

I think it is a great way to learn a language but ultimately you will probably need to read or write or youuse will be limited to conversational , I agree with the homophones statement mei 

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined6/10/2018LocationJonestown / US
Native
English
Learning Italian, Spanish

Jade.Xuereb wrote:
I think it is a great way to learn a language but ultimately you will probably need to read or write or youuse will be limited to conversational , I agree with the homophones statement mei

I agree with being limited by only learning by ear when it comes to writing and truly understanding the language and how to use it. 

Taylor Fabio

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined11/7/2018LocationManila / PH
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, Korean

You can probably learn to hold a conversation if you learned purely by ear. Not sure how that's gonna work if you have to write something down though.

--

ikay

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined10/7/2018LocationBinan City / PH
Native
Tagalog
Other English

That's best when paired with reading and research. But I think it is more effective if you start with your research first then followed by learning through hearing, then application. 

Edzky-18

Posted 
    Feedback