What's your favorite alphabet?

level
29
Posts840Likes507Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

meifeng wrote:
If you have a Macbook, it's possible to add these languages, then you'll be able to input these languages. I don't know about @leosmith input methods, but I use hanyu pinyin to generate Chinese characters, and for Thai, you can show a Thai keyboard on Macs as well.

Yes, same here.

I'm reading the Malazan Book of the Fallen.

Posted 
0
#21
level
2
Posts1Likes3Joined4/11/2018LocationChiang Mai / TH
Native
Thai
Learning English

I do really love Thai alphabet. It is artistic and symbolizes Thai art.

ฉันชอบอักษรไทย ดูเป็นศิลปะ เป็นสัญลักษณ์ศิลปะไทย

Chonlapat Yomchinda

Posted 
3
#22
level
7
Posts142Likes113Joined4/10/2018Location
Native
Chinese - Mandarin, English, Chinese - Cantonese
Other French, Indonesian, Russian, Thai, Vietnamese

I like the Thai alphabet as well, it looks very pretty. I do get a bit annoyed when certain advertisements try to make the Thai alphabet resemble the English alphabet (well, partly also because it makes it harder for me to read), e.g. when they make the ร look like R, instead of just ร

Posted 
2
#23
level
7
Posts270Likes101Joined15/9/2018LocationSkopje / MK
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

Tarntawan wrote:
I do really love Thai alphabet. It is artistic and symbolizes Thai art.
ฉันชอบอักษรไทย ดูเป็นศิลปะ เป็นสัญลักษณ์ศิลปะไทย

The Thai alphabet is great as well, I too like it :) 

Posted 
2
#24
level
1
Posts347Likes191Joined13/7/2018LocationPasig / PH
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, French, Spanish

Добро пожаловать в Комитет государственной безопасности. Посетители должны временно отдать свои паспорта. Наслаждайтесь своим пребыванием.


Cyrillic. Gotta love it.  

Posted 
1
#25
level
1
Posts68Likes37Joined6/10/2018LocationJonestown / US
Native
English
Learning Italian, Spanish

Jess.PWinkler wrote:
There are so many different alphabets
http://aboutworldlanguages.com/writing-systems

I agree what a great link! I do not have a favorite but they are all so unique!

Taylor Fabio

Posted 
0
#26
level
7
Posts270Likes101Joined15/9/2018LocationSkopje / MK
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

Phillip.Laplana wrote:
Добро пожаловать в Комитет государственной безопасности. Посетители должны временно отдать свои паспорта. Наслаждайтесь своим пребыванием.
Cyrillic. Gotta love it. :slightly_smiling_face:

Одлична е кирилицата :D :D 

(I had to reply in cyrillic cause it's not often I get to use it on the internet haha :D )

Posted 
0
#27
level
1
Posts347Likes191Joined13/7/2018LocationPasig / PH
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, French, Spanish

dragonsky wrote:
Phillip.Laplana wrote:
Добро пожаловать в Комитет государственной безопасности. Посетители должны временно отдать свои паспорта. Наслаждайтесь своим пребыванием.
Cyrillic. Gotta love it. :slightly_smiling_face:

Одлична е кирилицата :D :D
(I had to reply in cyrillic cause it's not often I get to use it on the internet haha :D )


Ah! You used Macedonian, though! What other languages use Cyrillic besides Macedonian, Russian, Ukrainian.... ? Belarusian maybe?

Edited 
2
#28
level
7
Posts142Likes113Joined4/10/2018Location
Native
Chinese - Mandarin, English, Chinese - Cantonese
Other French, Indonesian, Russian, Thai, Vietnamese

Bosnian-Croat-Serbian, widely used in Central Asia as well - Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan.

Posted 
2
#29
level
1
Posts347Likes191Joined13/7/2018LocationPasig / PH
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, French, Spanish

Wow, I didn't know about Central Asia. I wonder how old this alphabet is.

Posted 
0
#30
level
7
Posts270Likes101Joined15/9/2018LocationSkopje / MK
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

Phillip.Laplana wrote:
dragonsky wrote:
Phillip.Laplana wrote:
Добро пожаловать в Комитет государственной безопасности. Посетители должны временно отдать свои паспорта. Наслаждайтесь своим пребыванием.
Cyrillic. Gotta love it. :slightly_smiling_face:

Одлична е кирилицата :D :D
(I had to reply in cyrillic cause it's not often I get to use it on the internet haha :D )

Ah! You used Macedonian, though! What other languages use Cyrillic besides Macedonian, Russian, Ukrainian.... ? Belarusian maybe?

I think most of ex Yugoslavia with the exception of Croatia and Slovenia. Couple of ex-USSR countries as well


meifeng wrote:
Bosnian-Croat-Serbian, widely used in Central Asia as well - Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan.

Thanks for sharing the info on some of the "asian ex-USSR" countries :)

Posted 
1
#31
    Feedback