For those learning multiple languages

Ranger
Posts209Likes 117Joined 6/10/2018LocationLagos / NG
Native
English
Other French

This is a special shout out to those learning multiple languages at the same time! Y'all the real MVP. How do you guys manage that,what's the routine like?

Double shout out for those who know more than five languages, I can't even begin to wrap my head around how you guys did it.

Kevwe A.

Posted
0
#1
Elf
Posts111Likes 96Joined 4/10/2018Location
Native
Chinese - Mandarin, English, Chinese - Cantonese
Other French, Indonesian, Russian, Thai, Vietnamese

I'd say it was a lot easier when I was taking it for credits when I was in university. I took two language classes concurrently. Personally, I find it easiest when the languages are radically different. I learned Indonesian and Vietnamese at the same time - they were so different that there was no chance of confusing them. 


Posted
1
#2
Elf
Posts114Likes 78Joined 8/10/2018LocationPH
Native
English, Tagalog
Learning Japanese

I don't know how you guys do it lol. That's gotta be tough.


Edited
0
#3
Dwarf
Posts58Likes 27Joined 8/10/2018LocationManila / PH
Other English, Japanese, Korean

Right, it's hard enough to study one. And there they are.. learning multiple languages! 

mismei

Posted
1
#4
Ranger
Posts230Likes 120Joined 16/9/2018Location
Native
Spanish
Other English, Italian

Yes, I think the same about those that have been able to learn more than 2 languages. You guys rock!!!!!

-Ari-

Posted
0
#5
Elf
Posts135Likes 81Joined 3/9/2018LocationLagos / NG
Native
English
Learning French

That’s like multitasking the brain! Lol, Its really awesome  

Posted
1
#6
Ranger
Posts345Likes 130Joined 10/7/2018LocationTrece Martires City / PH
Native
Tagalog
Other English

hands down to Polyglots! they are amazing

do the right thing even when nobody is watching

Posted
1
#7
Ranger
Posts200Likes 92Joined 12/7/2018LocationPH
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, Spanish

Kudos to you guys!

Edited
0
#8
Elf
Posts125Likes 95Joined 3/9/2018LocationSkopje / MK
Native
Macedonian
Other Arabic - Gulf, English, French, Spanish, Serbian

I was learning English and French simultaneously, and it's definitely better when the two languages have nothing in common. Otherwise, patience and groundedness are key factors to success when embarking on such a journey. I really believe some people's brains are designed to hold more languages at one time. They can somehow split their consciousness and make one learn one language, other aspect within them another, etc :))

What does MVP stand for btw? 


Posted
0
#9
Ent
Posts760Likes 466Joined 18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning Korean
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

Oghenekevwe wrote:
How do you guys manage that

That's a very broad question - I could write books, so I'll just state something that you've probably already suspected. We work very hard at it. I'm willing and able to put in several hours every day, for example. 

Mai wrote:
I really believe some people's brains are designed to hold more languages at one time.
That's certainly not true in my case. Generally speaking, we are savvy, experienced learners who work really hard.

Signature

Posted
0
#10
Elf
Posts125Likes 95Joined 3/9/2018LocationSkopje / MK
Native
Macedonian
Other Arabic - Gulf, English, French, Spanish, Serbian

leosmith wrote:

Mai wrote:
I really believe some people's brains are designed to hold more languages at one time.
That's certainly not true in my case. Generally speaking, we are savvy, experienced learners who work really hard.


I never undermined/minimised your effort! But what do you think, what makes you interested in it? Why aren't we all like that, all of us that work hard? Don't you think it's your brain capable and intended to do that? 


Edited
0
#11
Ent
Posts760Likes 466Joined 18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning Korean
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

Mai wrote:
I never undermined/minimised your effort! But what do you think, what makes you interested in it? Why aren't we all like that, all of us that work hard? Don't you think it's your brain capable and intended to do that?

You minimized our efforts when you said that our brains are designed differently. That's not it. We just work harder at languages. Yes we are more experienced and we really know what we're doing. But time on task is the most important factor. If everyone worked as hard as we do, you wouldn't see vast differences in success levels, and discussions such as this wouldn't take place. There is no language learning "gift".

Signature

Posted
0
#12
Ranger
Posts209Likes 117Joined 6/10/2018LocationLagos / NG
Native
English
Other French

Mai wrote:

What does MVP stand for btw?

It's a slang word, it could mean Most Valuable Player or Most Valuable Person. It all depends on how you use it.

Kevwe A.

Posted
1
#13
Ranger
Posts209Likes 117Joined 6/10/2018LocationLagos / NG
Native
English
Other French

leosmith wrote:

Mai wrote:
I never undermined/minimised your effort! But what do you think, what makes you interested in it? Why aren't we all like that, all of us that work hard? Don't you think it's your brain capable and intended to do that?

You minimized our efforts when you said that our brains are designed differently. That's not it. We just work harder at languages. Yes we are more experienced and we really know what we're doing. But time on task is the most important factor. If everyone worked as hard as we do, you wouldn't see vast differences in success levels, and discussions such as this wouldn't take place. There is no language learning "gift".

I think it also depends on the level of interest or passion the person has for it. I could learn a language just because, or maybe I have to or just for leisure. While others will learn languages because they are passionate about it. That passion is the drive that makes these language learners exceed what others would do. Take me for example, when I took on music as a major,we were just six in my class. Whenever we had a class, I was excited, I couldn't wait to learn what's next and I always went the extra mile not cos I had to but because passion was driving me.

Long story short, someone who is passionate about learning something will naturally learn faster than someone who does it just because...

Kevwe A.

Posted
1
#14
Elf
Posts125Likes 95Joined 3/9/2018LocationSkopje / MK
Native
Macedonian
Other Arabic - Gulf, English, French, Spanish, Serbian

leosmith wrote:

Mai wrote:
I never undermined/minimised your effort! But what do you think, what makes you interested in it? Why aren't we all like that, all of us that work hard? Don't you think it's your brain capable and intended to do that?

You minimized our efforts when you said that our brains are designed differently. That's not it. We just work harder at languages. Yes we are more experienced and we really know what we're doing. But time on task is the most important factor. If everyone worked as hard as we do, you wouldn't see vast differences in success levels, and discussions such as this wouldn't take place. There is no language learning "gift".


There may be no gift, but there is desire, and it's YOUR choice to work, as much as you do. So that means there's intention and will, not everyone has that, and those reasons come out of alignment with ones desires and brain, what the brain and body finds intriguing and challenging. That's what I think and meant. 


Edited
2
#15