Using your hobby as a means to learning

Elf
Posts114Likes 79Joined 8/10/2018LocationPH
Native
English, Tagalog
Learning Japanese

So I've been thinking about learning Portuguese for the past months. I have never "officially" started other that listening to random videos on Youtube, but I noticed that I've already learned some slang without really trying by watching Jiujittsu fights online lol.  


I think this is a cool way of learning a language, you get to pursue your other hobbies while slowly building your competency in the language of your choice. Anybody experienced something similar?


Posted
0
#1
Elf
Posts137Likes 82Joined 3/9/2018LocationLagos / NG
Native
English
Learning French

Music is my own solution, I love music and I listen everyday, so I download song in foreign languages, search for the lyrics, sing along and learn.

Posted
0
#2
Hobbit
Posts32Likes 20Joined 8/10/2018LocationWien / AT
Native
French, German
Other Arabic - Standard, Japanese, Chinese - Cantonese

If you are a big fan of football you could try watching the games in Portuguese. If you like action gun movies there is Tropa de Elite which I think os available for free on YouTube.

Posted
0
#3
Elf
Posts144Likes 61Joined 8/10/2018LocationCebu / PH
Native
Cebuano, English, Tagalog
Learning French, Japanese, Spanish

Before I started learning Japanese (and before I even had an interest in the language), I learned a few words through watching some anime. 

Everyday is a learning journey. Keep going!


Posted
0
#4
Ranger
Posts407Likes 149Joined 10/7/2018LocationTrece Martires City / PH
Native
Tagalog
Other English

Rose.Angelie wrote:

Before I started learning Japanese (and before I even had an interest in the language), I learned a few words through watching some anime.


same here! watashi mo!

do the right thing even when nobody is watching

Posted
0
#5
Elf
Posts142Likes 113Joined 4/10/2018Location
Native
Chinese - Mandarin, English, Chinese - Cantonese
Other French, Indonesian, Russian, Thai, Vietnamese

Hmm... I like eating. It might explain why I know food items in a lot of languages.  

Posted
1
#6
Ranger
Posts385Likes 190Joined 11/7/2018LocationManila / PH
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, Korean

I've been watching anime for years but other than basic expressions and honorifics, I know next to nothing. T_T

--

ikay

Posted
0
#7
Ranger
Posts363Likes 174Joined 10/7/2018LocationBinan City / PH
Native
Tagalog
Other English

This is a very effective approach to learning other language because it's an ally against language burnout. It will give you the drive to pursue your goal of mastering the language.

Edzky-18

Posted
0
#8
Ranger
Posts201Likes 74Joined 5/6/2018LocationLapu-lapu / PH
Native
Cebuano, Tagalog
Other English

Using hobby as a means to learn something is very effective because mostly, one can master first what he/she is learning if it's his/her priority of interest. So, if it's one's priority of interest, then it would not take much time for him/her to learn the said thing.

Charlyn Amoin

Posted
1
#9
Dwarf
Posts50Likes 36Joined 6/10/2018LocationIrpin / UA
Native
Russian, Ukrainian
Other Dutch, English, German, Italian, Polish, Spanish

I agree, if language learning is coupled with your favourite hobby, you have much more motivation to learn more. The same may also count for reading subject-specific magazines, like Cosmopolitan or The Economist (or something related to sports/ science/ cooking etc). This way, it won't be boring to read such articles in a foreign language if a person is very interested in the topic itself. 


Posted
0
#10
Ranger
Posts298Likes 159Joined 6/10/2018LocationLagos / NG
Native
English
Other French

i noticed i actually learn some words faster when i hear it in a song. for example "echame la culpa" by luis fonsi and Demi Lovato, Despacito also 

Kevwe A.

Posted
0
#11
Ranger
Posts436Likes 219Joined 4/9/2018LocationCaracas / VE
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

I love to watch cooking shows and hear music in other languages. After I watched football (soccer) in English I can't stand to watch it in Spanish

Posted
0
#12
Elf
Posts142Likes 113Joined 4/10/2018Location
Native
Chinese - Mandarin, English, Chinese - Cantonese
Other French, Indonesian, Russian, Thai, Vietnamese

Jess.PWinkler wrote:
I love to watch cooking shows and hear music in other languages. After I watched football (soccer) in English I can't stand to watch it in Spanish


I watch baseball. From time to time, I hear the Spanish version. I don't actually know any Spanish, but the Spanish announcers definitely sound a lot more enthusiastic than the English ones!

Posted
0
#13
Hobbit
Posts8Likes 3Joined 4/11/2018LocationDavao City / PH
Native
English, Tagalog
Other Chinese - Mandarin, German, Japanese, Korean

I usually get plenty of Japanese words learned from singing Japanese songs and watching Jdrama and animes. ^_^ I sometimes play my ukulele and sing Japanese anime songs with it. YAY!

Always glad to be of service! Remember that what the mind can conceive, the body can achieve! ^_^

Posted
0
#14
Ranger
Posts458Likes 274Joined 8/7/2018LocationAlmeria / ES
Native
English
Other Arabic - Egyptian, French, German, Spanish

Totally agree, it is easy to lose interest in learning a language, if you interested it into a hobby it stays within your interests. 

Posted
0
#15
Ranger
Posts347Likes 190Joined 13/7/2018LocationPasig / PH
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, French, Spanish

This guy tried some games in French for the immersion aspect (but more to justify wanting to play games). He had some mixed results.  


https://www.reddit.com/r/languagelearning/comments/9w570i/video_games_for_immersion_in_a_language/

Posted
1
#16
Ranger
Posts436Likes 219Joined 4/9/2018LocationCaracas / VE
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

meifeng wrote:
Jess.PWinkler wrote:
I love to watch cooking shows and hear music in other languages. After I watched football (soccer) in English I can't stand to watch it in Spanish

I watch baseball. From time to time, I hear the Spanish version. I don't actually know any Spanish, but the Spanish announcers definitely sound a lot more enthusiastic than the English ones!


The sportscaster in English are a lot more imparcial, that's why I like them :)

Posted
0
#17
Elf
Posts137Likes 82Joined 3/9/2018LocationLagos / NG
Native
English
Learning French

Mei wrote:

I usually get plenty of Japanese words learned from singing Japanese songs and watching Jdrama and animes. ^_^ I sometimes play my ukulele and sing Japanese anime songs with it. YAY!

I’d love you to share some Japanese songs.. i’d love to listen and learn 

Edited
0
#18
Ranger
Posts220Likes 117Joined 9/7/2018LocationUS
Native
English
Learning Spanish
Other French

Oghenekevwe wrote:

i noticed i actually learn some words faster when i hear it in a song. for example "echame la culpa" by luis fonsi and Demi Lovato, Despacito also

Same here when I listen to kpop. 


Posted
0
#19
Ranger
Posts347Likes 190Joined 13/7/2018LocationPasig / PH
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, French, Spanish

TemitopeAkinyede wrote:
Mei wrote:
I usually get plenty of Japanese words learned from singing Japanese songs and watching Jdrama and animes. ^_^ I sometimes play my ukulele and sing Japanese anime songs with it. YAY!
I’d love you to share some Japanese songs.. i’d love to listen and learn

Some of my favorite Japanese songs are the various opening tracks to Naruto Shipuuden. Quick, sweet and oh-so-heartfelt.

Posted
0
#20