Spaced Repition Software (SRS)

Elf
Posts114Likes 78Joined 8/10/2018LocationPH
Native
English, Tagalog
Learning Japanese

Hey guys, anyone of you use SRS (in particular Anki) as a means of quickly jamming information to your memory? Research has proven that it is a quick way to learn AND retain information. 

Look at this Wikipedia article, it mentions the many benefits of this and much more. I guess the reason why I am asking is because I have used it to some success when I started learning Japanese. Thing is, it got boring real quick... and I quit because of it. 

Do you think it's best to try again? I mean I guess I can go the usual route of reading books and such but idk. Looking forward to your replies :)

Posted
Elf
Posts111Likes 96Joined 4/10/2018Location
Native
Chinese - Mandarin, English, Chinese - Cantonese
Other French, Indonesian, Russian, Thai, Vietnamese

Thanks for sharing - interesting write-up on Wikipedia. 

I am sure the science of it is sound, but I find that I don't retain the information that well after say... 3 months, even if I am consistent within the three months. 

Sometimes, if I really want to remember something, there is an interesting method that I learned from reading Jonathan Spence's The Memory Palace of Matteo Ricci (The book is not really about memory methods, but a history book about a Jesuit priest in China during the Qing Dynasty). Matteo Ricci basically associates new information, in this case, Chinese, with something that he already knows, and then he files that information away, in a mental library, that is mentally anchored in a building. 

The method is actually quite time-consuming, because you need to make that piece of information vivid, and associate it as many qualities as possible with your present knowledge (reason why I don't use it most of the time). But having said that, I find that it sticks a lot more than simple spaced repetition.

Posted
Elf
Posts114Likes 78Joined 8/10/2018LocationPH
Native
English, Tagalog
Learning Japanese

Cool, thanks for the reply. So you're basically saying to make a mental image of the new word so that it can stick to your longterm memory right? Interesting, I might look into that. 

Posted
Ent
Posts742Likes 460Joined 18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning Korean
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

Mel.Palogan wrote:
it got boring real quick... and I quit because of it.

You aren't alone. I blogged about it here:

The dangers of overusing SRS.

meifeng wrote:
Memory Palace

Just curious - what did you use it to memorize? That particular mnemonic was invented to memorize entire books worth of knowledge, so I find it overkill for my purposes. I use a combination of mnemonics and repetition to get vocabulary and grammar to stick.

Signature

Edited
Elf
Posts111Likes 96Joined 4/10/2018Location
Native
Chinese - Mandarin, English, Chinese - Cantonese
Other French, Indonesian, Russian, Thai, Vietnamese

leosmith wrote:
Just curious - what did you use it to memorize?

Usually students' names - I'm terrible with faces+names, and sometimes, I get up to 100 students. 

Edited
Ranger
Posts204Likes 112Joined 6/10/2018LocationLagos / NG
Native
English
Other French

Spaced repetition is a proven memory technique that helps you keep what you've learned strong in your mind. The way it works is you review each word or phrase you've learned in spaced intervals. Initially the intervals will be smaller: you might review a new word a few times in one practice session, and then again the next day. Once you know it well you'll be able to leave days or weeks between revisiting without forgetting it.

I like using Duolingo and memrise for vocabulary and phrase practice because it takes care of spaced repetition for me. The app keeps track of which words I haven't practiced for a while and reminds me to strengthen my understanding of those. During each lesson, it mixes up familiar and new words to space out the repetition.

Kevwe A.

Posted