Do you know of any places in the world where Latin is used?

Posts0Likes0Joined3/9/2018Location

My high school had a motto in latin saying Integretas et Veritas meaning Righteousness and Truth. Would love to know of instances where it is being used or spoken or is Latin as a language dead?

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined4/9/2018LocationCaracas / VE
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

SujithPrathap wrote:

My high school had a motto in latin saying Integretas et Veritas meaning Righteousness and Truth. Would love to know of instances where it is being used or spoken or is Latin as a language dead?

In the City of Vatican, I don't know if they communicate with it but Latin is the official language of the Catholic church.

Posted 
Posts1630Likes1092Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

SujithPrathap wrote:

No offense, but I'm just wondering why you wouldn't google something like this...

In Thailand now. Next up Tanzania and Philippines.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined3/9/2018Location

None taken. I just prefer to know the experience of people rather than a machine. :P 

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined13/7/2018LocationPasig / PH
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, French, Spanish

In that case, I recommend posting a question at Quora. :wink: However, the website only promises that people can ask and answer. It does not promise correct answers or good answers.

But to answer your question, yes, Latin is a dead language. This means it's no longer used as the native language of any community. In the Vatican, their native language is Italian, not Latin. However, the many world communities that used to speak Vulgar (non-standard) Latin have now evolved it into their own native languages. These are called Romance Languages and the most well known are Spanish, French, Italian and Portuguese.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined4/9/2018LocationCaracas / VE
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

Phillip.Laplana wrote:

In that case, I recommend posting a question at Quora. :wink: However, the website only promises that people can ask and answer. It does not promise correct answers or good answers.

But to answer your question, yes, Latin is a dead language. This means it's no longer used as the native language of any community. In the Vatican, their native language is Italian, not Latin. However, the many world communities that used to speak Vulgar (non-standard) Latin have now evolved it into their own native languages. These are called Romance Languages and the most well known are Spanish, French, Italian and Portuguese.

Heyyy I said that latin is the official language of the Catholic church, not the vatican, but since the "headquarters" of the Catholic church is located there, there must be some latin "speakers" somehow. I know that most papal masses in the Vatican are in latin, so the pope and the bishops should know what they are talking about. A long time ago the masses in every catholic church worldwide were in latin too, it would have been cool for the latin to stay that way instead of slowly dying out :/

Posted 
Posts1630Likes1092Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

Here's some Latin for you:

In Thailand now. Next up Tanzania and Philippines.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined15/9/2018LocationSkopje / MK
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

Medicine students learn it as far as I know.

These days latin is used here and there for "coolness" (meaning for logos, band names, motto of sometihng etc.) 

Posted 
Posts230Likes123Joined16/9/2018Location
Native
Spanish
Other English, Italian

In my country, in the olden days the Catholic Mass were in Latin.

-Ari-

Posted 
    Feedback