Do you ever have problems finding a practice partner?

Posts0Likes0Joined13/7/2018LocationPasig / PH
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, French, Spanish

Language learning speeds up a lot if you can practice with someone who knows your goal language well, or at least knows it better than you do. I like French and I would like to learn more of it, but I don't know anyone fluent in it that I can practice with, face to face. I tried asking at the office, I asked my friends, and I looked around the local community guides. But I still haven't found someone I can speak French with in real time.

Did you ever have this problem? How did you find someone to talk to?

Posted 
Posts1630Likes1092Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

It's a good question. I hope that our chat will take off, then you can find someone there. Or are you talking about in person?

In Thailand now. Next up Tanzania and Philippines.

Posted 
Native
Tagalog

Chat is wonderful, up to a point. But it lacks a kind of fluidity and a certain quality that comes from talking in person. As introverted as I can be, I sometimes miss talking to people in the same room. :P haha

Posted 
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

Phillip.Laplana wrote:
Chat is wonderful, up to a point. But it lacks a kind of fluidity and a certain quality that comes from talking in person. As introverted as I can be, I sometimes miss talking to people in the same room. :P haha

I completely agree. I take a lot of skype lessons, but eventually I travel to the host country to really get the feel of the language. Have you tried sites like interpals.net? They often have native speakers looking for exchanges in places I visit. Another option is meetup.com - great for meeting people to arrange future conversation, but not always great for practicing in the actual meeting

Edited 
Native
Tagalog

I'm not sure about meetup but interpal looks interesting. I'm going to have to try that one later. I wonder where to start there.

Posted 
Native
English
Learning German

Phillip.Laplana wrote:
I'm not sure about meetup but interpal looks interesting. I'm going to have to try that one later. I wonder where to start there.

I normally just search for people looking for language exchange in my target language, who are in the desired area, and pm them. another site which I use a lot is conversationexchange.com

Posted 
    Feedback