Does watching movies help?

Posts0Likes0Joined3/9/2018LocationLagos / NG
Native
English
Learning French

Do you think watching movies of different languages help in learning?

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined3/7/2018LocationSpringbok / ZA
Native
Afrikaans, English
Learning Spanish, Zulu

Yes and No. But I lean strong into "No" knowing what I know now and having watch hundreds of hours of Spanish media. 

I don't have anything against movies, as a matter of fact I love Spanish and Latin American film, but I prefer to watch a series. Why? There is enough time to get used to the actors voices, their vocabulary, the plot, etc. that a movie can't give you. I'd watch a movie strictly for enjoyment and a series for learning, if that makes sense. 

¡Hagámoslo ya!

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined3/9/2018LocationLagos / NG
Native
English
Learning French

Jeremi.Kress wrote:

Yes and No. But I lean strong into "No" knowing what I know now and having watch hundreds of hours of Spanish media.

I don't have anything against movies, as a matter of fact I love Spanish and Latin American film, but I prefer to watch a series. Why? There is enough time to get used to the actors voices, their vocabulary, the plot, etc. that a movie can't give you. I'd watch a movie strictly for enjoyment and a series for learning, if that makes sense.

This actually makes sense.. series give more time :ok_hand:

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined4/9/2018LocationCaracas / VE
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

I think you could re-watch movies/series you have already seen in your mother language and try to watch them in your target languages just to see how it goes.

Posted 
Posts1630Likes1092Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

TemitopeAkinyede wrote:
Do you think watching movies of different languages help in learning?

Absolutely. They are great for listening practice, once you've reached an intermediate level.

In Thailand now. Next up Tanzania and Philippines.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined4/9/2018LocationChicago, Illinois / US
Native
English
Other Indonesian, Spanish

I think movies are great tools. I taught English at a university in Indonesia, and none of the Indonesians I met who were fluent in English had learned in a classroom - they'd picked up the language from American movies and TV shows. 

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined3/9/2018LocationBuenos Aires / AR
Native
English, Spanish

yes, watching movies helps a lot as you are exposed to a certain accent, vocabulary and also you can pick up cultural nuances and knowledge

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined5/9/2018LocationLisbon / PT
Native
Portuguese
Other English, Spanish

For sure. Even if you understand the language, I always use subtitles because you will learn something new. You can always learn some new accents, vocabulary, etc.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined5/9/2018Locationmaryland / US
Native
Urdu
Learning Arabic - Gulf

yes i believe so

Mariam Irshad

Posted 
    Feedback