Singing and learning

Posts0Likes0Joined4/9/2018LocationCaracas / VE
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

Do you know that you can improve your pronuntiation and intonation by singing? Not just improve your skills by listening to music (and actually understand what you are hearing), as you learn the lyrics you slowly enhance your speaking skills. 

My experience: 15 years ago I was a part of my high school choir, I never thought that this activity would have such an impact in my future. We had a broad repertory filled with songs in spanish, english, german, italian, latin and hebrew (from what I can recall). My teachers were very strict with the pronuntiation of each word and that learning still stays in my head, it is like riding a bicicle!

So, I was thinking. Do you guys have any song(s) from your native language you would like to share? I would have to think one of mine (Spanish) I'm not a fan of latin music haha.

Posted 
Posts1630Likes1092Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

I think it's possible, but you have to be careful too. Spoken language rarely sounds the same as sung language. And it's downright dangerous in tonal languages, where tone are often changed or discarded in songs.

In Thailand now. Next up Tanzania and Philippines.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined3/9/2018LocationLagos / NG
Native
English
Learning French

I think it’s different when you’re singing, pronunciation differs so it’s technically not same as when its spoken, but close.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined4/9/2018LocationOlongapo City / PH
Native
English, Tagalog

In my opinion, yes it can help, because we can easily remember the words but we cannot understand it yet. Music is more on memorizing the lyrics. If the listener is interested about the meaning of the song, then it will be helpful. But, if he/she is not, then it is just a tool to entertain his/herself. 

Regarding about the pronunciation and grammar, some lyrics of the songs are grammatically incorrect and they do not pronounce all the words correctly. 

For example in grammar, the song "On Bended Knees" is not correct.

And for pronunciation, the song of Katy Perry "Unconditionally" is not the real pronunciation of the word. 

But if you really want to learn a certain language or whatever, you can use the rhythm of a song for you to easily remember the things you want to learn. Let's keep learning! :) 

Posted 
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

GailAnn.Antonio wrote:
you can use the rhythm of a song for you to easily remember the things you want to learn.

That's a good point. Songs can really stick in your mind.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined4/9/2018LocationCaracas / VE
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

leosmith wrote:
I think it's possible, but you have to be careful too. Spoken language rarely sounds the same as sung language. And it's downright dangerous in tonal languages, where tone are often changed or discarded in songs.

Actually singers kind of lose their accents and they magically tend to sing with a neutral accent, this can be helpful for people that have issues trying to understand a language with different accents. While people sing syllables are stretched out changing the sound, making it easier to hear.

When I was learning English I used to hate the British accent, I loved how it sounded but couldn't understand it! I'll just leave this link of Adele in Carpool Karaoke: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nck6BZga7TQ . I think it is a lot more easier to learn to hear and learn some pronunciation by listening to her songs than by hearing her talk, but maybe that is just me

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined22/9/2018LocationLagos / NG
Native
English
Other French

I find it easy syncing with a language through songs. When the rhythm is good, I get anxious to know what the lyrics mean.

The words stick really fast and it has been always easy to recall the meaning when I come across such words again.

If I was to choose being an animal, I will like to be an Eagle.

Posted 
Posts114Likes81Joined8/10/2018LocationPH
Native
English, Tagalog
Learning Japanese

I like listening to foreign songs and try to figure out what they mean lol. 

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined8/7/2018LocationAlmeria / ES
Native
English
Other Arabic - Egyptian, French, German, Spanish

I think songs are a good learning tool but if the songs are sung for language learning it is better as others have said pronunciation changes in popular music. I do an infantile class armed with my guitar and they are learning really well and able to re apply words and phrases from songs into other situations. 

They are good for learning chunks of vocab if your only dinky. 

Posted 
Native
English
Learning French

Mel.Palogan wrote:

Just like i’ve seriously Been trying to sing despacito. Lol

Edited 
Posts0Likes0Joined8/7/2018LocationAlmeria / ES
Native
English
Other Arabic - Egyptian, French, German, Spanish

I do despacito in my sets and Havana Spanish version , but I also do some of our English covers with a Spanish chorus in some translate really well and still rhyme etc

Posted 
Native
English
Learning German

TemitopeAkinyede wrote:
Mel.Palogan wrote:

Karaoke is good for this purpose. 

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined5/6/2018LocationLapu-lapu / PH
Native
Cebuano, Tagalog
Other English

wow Mel! That sounds interesting!  

Charlyn Amoin

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined5/6/2018LocationLapu-lapu / PH
Native
Cebuano, Tagalog
Other English

Hi Jade! That is really nice! :)

Charlyn Amoin

Posted 
Native
English
Learning French

leosmith wrote:

TemitopeAkinyede wrote:

Mel.Palogan wrote:

Karaoke is good for this purpose.

Thank youu. This helps alot:smiley:

Posted 
    Feedback