We use cookies please follow the link for more information

British vs American English

Ranger
Posts220Likes117Joined9/7/2018LocationUS
Native
English
Learning Spanish
Other French

Here's a video on some differences between British vs. American English...




Posted 
1
#1
Ranger
Posts363Likes174Joined10/7/2018LocationBinan City / PH
Native
Tagalog
Other English

This is very informative. Thanks for sharing!... Though I wonder why it is called 1st floor in British instead of 2nd floor. Do you have any idea? 

Edzky-18

Posted 
1
#2
Ranger
Posts409Likes151Joined10/7/2018LocationTrece Martires City / PH
Native
Tagalog
Other English

It should be first floor right? ground floor, then 1st floor. Am I correct?Can someone please enlightened me. lol

do the right thing even when nobody is watching

Posted 
1
#3
Ent
Posts835Likes505Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning Tagalog
Other Swahili, Thai

Imo, sometimes the ground floor isn't the first floor, depending on the building. For example, I often stay in a condo in Thailand. The first 2 floors are for parking, and they are above ground; there are no basement or underground floors. So the inside of the building really starts on the 3rd floor, and they call that the ground floor (there is a G beside the 3 button in the elevator). Confusing.  

I'm reading the Malazan Book of the Fallen.

Posted 
1
#4
Hobbit
Posts21Likes29Joined4/7/2018LocationPhiladelphia / US
Native
English
Other Esperanto, Japanese, Spanish

Michelle.Batan wrote:
It should be first floor right? ground floor, then 1st floor. Am I correct?Can someone please enlightened me. lol


This varies regionally. Where I live, the ground floor and the first floor are the same thing, but in other places, it is as you say :)

Posted 
1
#5
Ranger
Posts347Likes191Joined13/7/2018LocationPasig / PH
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, French, Spanish

Where I'm from, there's a curious mix of British and American terms in infrastructure. Our buildings have a Ground Floor and the first level up is the second floor. But the building plans will indicate water closets instead of toilets or rest rooms. Major roads are called highways or expressways, not motorways, but the means to access them are called flyovers instead of on-ramps or off-ramps. We use elevators, not lifts. We have both car parks *and* parking lots. We almost habitually ignore pedestrian crossings, and never refer to them as crosswalks. We go to movie theaters to watch movies but the theaters are labelled Cinema 1, Cinema 2, and so on. I imagine it can be such a challenge. :)

Posted 
1
#6
Ranger
Posts220Likes117Joined9/7/2018LocationUS
Native
English
Learning Spanish
Other French

Phillip.Laplana wrote:
Where I'm from, there's a curious mix of British and American terms in infrastructure. Our buildings have a Ground Floor and the first level up is the second floor. But the building plans will indicate water closets instead of toilets or rest rooms. Major roads are called highways or expressways, not motorways, but the means to access them are called flyovers instead of on-ramps or off-ramps. We use elevators, not lifts. We have both car parks *and* parking lots. We almost habitually ignore pedestrian crossings, and never refer to them as crosswalks. We go to movie theaters to watch movies but the theaters are labelled Cinema 1, Cinema 2, and so on. I imagine it can be such a challenge. :)
Interesting! Thanks for posting this! I would love to visit there sometime soon. My best friend is from the Philippines. :)


Posted 
1
#7
Ranger
Posts347Likes191Joined13/7/2018LocationPasig / PH
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, French, Spanish

Khadijah.Davis wrote:
Phillip.Laplana wrote:
Where I'm from, there's a curious mix of British and American terms in infrastructure. Our buildings have a Ground Floor and the first level up is the second floor. But the building plans will indicate water closets instead of toilets or rest rooms. Major roads are called highways or expressways, not motorways, but the means to access them are called flyovers instead of on-ramps or off-ramps. We use elevators, not lifts. We have both car parks *and* parking lots. We almost habitually ignore pedestrian crossings, and never refer to them as crosswalks. We go to movie theaters to watch movies but the theaters are labelled Cinema 1, Cinema 2, and so on. I imagine it can be such a challenge. :)
Interesting! Thanks for posting this! I would love to visit there sometime soon. My best friend is from the Philippines. :)


We would be happy to have you here. ^__^

Posted 
1
#8