LGBT Community

level
1
Posts26Likes12Joined10/7/2018LocationDavao City / PH
Native
Tagalog
Other English, Korean, Spanish

Why Bisexuals feel ignored and insulted?

Posted 
0
#1
level
9
Posts409Likes151Joined10/7/2018LocationTrece Martires City / PH
Native
Tagalog
Other English

Not all of us, coz im not =)

do the right thing even when nobody is watching

Posted 
2
#2
level
1
Posts26Likes12Joined10/7/2018LocationDavao City / PH
Native
Tagalog
Other English, Korean, Spanish

I'm happy to hear that from you. 

Posted 
1
#3
level
27
Posts838Likes505Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

Jeralen.Borja wrote:
Why Bisexuals feel ignored and insulted?

Do you really mean bisexuals here, or the entire LGBT community?

I'm reading the Malazan Book of the Fallen.

Posted 
0
#4
level
1
Posts26Likes12Joined10/7/2018LocationDavao City / PH
Native
Tagalog
Other English, Korean, Spanish

Mostly here in the Philippines. 


Posted 
0
#5
level
1
Posts47Likes16Joined11/7/2018LocationKingston / JM
Native
English
Other Spanish

Jeralen.Borja wrote:
Mostly here in the Philippines.
I think bisexuals whether male or female tend to be very critical of people who are gay. I also think that the insult you speak of is self inflicted. 

Posted 
0
#6
level
27
Posts838Likes505Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

I'm still trying to determine whether this thread is about bisexuals or all LGBT. Bisexuals are a very small group of people. Maybe Filipinos consider all LGBT to be bisexuals?

I'm reading the Malazan Book of the Fallen.

Posted 
0
#7
level
1
Posts164Likes60Joined15/7/2018LocationSanto Domingo / DO
Native
Spanish
Learning Creole - Haitian
Other English, French

Bisexuals sometimes feel that way because in many cultures people don't believe in bisexuality, some straight people believe bisexual people are just closeted gays who are trying to "look better" for society, and many gay people think bisexual people are just confused or not brave enough to be openly gay or there might be jelousy or resentment concerning "straight priviledges" that bi people are perceived to have, when in reality some people just do happen to be bisexual and that's a valid sexual orientation in and of itself. Another thing is that some bisexual people think the community doesn't talk as much about the b than the g or l. There might be other things but those are the ideas i've come in contact with, I don't necessarily agree with these views and i'm not bisexual myself but I do fall under the lgbt umbrella.

Edit: there's also the idea that some people think bisexualityI is just promiscuity, or that they can't be faithful or commit or any other stereotype concerning the orientation.

Edited 
2
#8
level
1
Posts47Likes16Joined11/7/2018LocationKingston / JM
Native
English
Other Spanish

Elso.Martinez wrote:
Bisexuals sometimes feel that way because in many cultures people don't believe in bisexuality, some straight people believe bisexual people are just closeted gays who are trying to "look better" for society, and many gay people think bisexual people are just confused or not brave enough to be openly gay or there might be jelousy or resentment concerning "straight priviledges" that bi people are perceived to have, when in reality some people just do happen to be bisexual and that's a valid sexual orientation in and of itself. Another thing is that some bisexual people think the community doesn't talk as much about the b than the g or l. There might be other things but those are the ideas i've come in contact with, I don't necessarily agree with these views and i'm not bisexual myself but I do fall under the lgbt umbrella.
Edit: there's also the idea that some people think bisexualityI is just promiscuity, or that they can't be faithful or commit or any other stereotype concerning the orientation.

 I do agree with you on some of your sentiments but some aren't entirely true and can be challenged. The majority of bisexual people especially the men (phew, chile) they don't want to be apart of the community or be identified as bisexual, they don't even want to ever disclose. Meanwhile a bisexual woman will disclose it to her partners you'll almost never find a bisexual man doing the same. I so do agree that bisexuality is a valid sexual orientation when the person isn't doing it privileges or to steer away judgement. 

Posted 
0
#9
level
9
Posts385Likes192Joined11/7/2018LocationManila / PH
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, Korean

Jeralen.Borja wrote:
Why Bisexuals feel ignored and insulted?


I'm also from the Philippines and I've worked with a lot of gay/lesbian/bisexual people. I've rarely seen anyone get insulted because of their sexual orientation. If it happens, it's just the same rotten kind of sexism men and women suffer.


Women: Why would she wear a short dress then complain when people harass her?

Men: How can you call yourself a man if you cry over a heartbreak?

Homosexuals: Nobody will love them because they're not a real guy/girl.


If anything, I think we're quite tolerant/accepting of the LGBT as a country. Can we do better? Yes! But is it so rampant that we see people insulted or made fun of in trains or buses? No.

--

ikay

Edited 
1
#10
level
9
Posts385Likes192Joined11/7/2018LocationManila / PH
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, Korean

leosmith wrote:
I'm still trying to determine whether this thread is about bisexuals or all LGBT. Bisexuals are a very small group of people. Maybe Filipinos consider all LGBT to be bisexuals?


As a people, we get the L and G because there's a lot of them and they've been "out" for a while. The "B" and "T", a lot of people are still...trying to wrap their heads around that.


Bisexuality is kind of a hot topic here because it's not something a lot of people understand or even acknowledge to exist. Even people who are actually gay. I heard a gay co-worker say to another colleague who was bisexual, "You're only saying you're bi because you want to be "special". 


What's funny is that when I had the opportunity to ask that bisexual co-worker if he's attracted to both men and women, he said he only likes men but identifies as "bi".


So when you say to someone you're bisexual, most people just assume you're "undecided". If you're a transgender, they still call you gay or lesbian depending on the gender you were born with. They just add modifiers like "He's gay but had surgery or had his pee pee removed."

--

ikay

Posted 
2
#11
level
9
Posts363Likes174Joined10/7/2018LocationBinan City / PH
Native
Tagalog
Other English

Jeralen.Borja wrote:

Why Bisexuals feel ignored and insulted?


Is your question based on the feelings of majority of the bisexuals here in the Philippines or just a perception from a few or one person only? 


 I believe our country is now one of those countries who is actually very open and accomodating to that type of individuals, actually to the LGBT in general. Only some group of very conventional and religious people go against them because of moral preservation and religious beliefs.


If you specifically mean bisexuals being ignored, yes, compared to the other groups in LGBT, they are really not so "famous" here in our country. Maybe because, only a few can declare and accept for themselves that they are bi. The other groups are more open to voice out their true self and identity that's why they are more understood and accepted by many. 


As for insulted, can you please elaborate how bisexuals are insulted here in our country? 

Edzky-18

Edited 
2
#12
level
27
Posts838Likes505Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

edz.conde wrote:
I believe our country is now one of those countries who is actually very open and accomodating to that type of individuals, actually to the LGBT in general.

I agree. The only more accepting place I've been is Thailand.

I'm reading the Malazan Book of the Fallen.

Posted 
0
#13
    Feedback