Let's be rich in vocabulary

level
1
Posts29Likes18Joined13/7/2018Location

What five new words did you learn today?


I learned these words today:

1. Nonversation :- A conversation that seems meaningless or ridiculous.

2. Halcyon :- Peaceful, happy

3. Speculate :- Form a theory on something without a firm knowledge

4. Ornery :- Difficult to deal with

5. Bawl :- Weep or Cry noisily

Posted 
3
#1
level
10
Posts459Likes277Joined8/7/2018LocationAlmeria / ES
Native
English
Other Arabic - Egyptian, French, German, Spanish

Halcyon from the Latin word for kingfisher/sea bird is also a mythological bird that was said to calm the seas and winds of winter and bring us into spring and summer :) 

I don't think I learnt five new words today shame on me! but a friend taught me a couple of expressions 

enloquecedor - maddening

Dar papaya - used like " to tempt fate "( literally give papaya) 

Atúquiti - in your face 

Posted 
1
#2
level
10
Posts459Likes277Joined8/7/2018LocationAlmeria / ES
Native
English
Other Arabic - Egyptian, French, German, Spanish

If anyone wants new English vocabulary I am happy to send a few words of the day 

Posted 
0
#3
level
9
Posts409Likes154Joined10/7/2018LocationTrece Martires City / PH
Native
Tagalog
Other English

Soleado : sunny


Nublado: Cloudy


Lluvioso: rainy


Ventoso: windy


Nevado: snowy



hahaha! 

do the right thing even when nobody is watching

Posted 
0
#4
level
31
Posts927Likes581Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

pAtakarAn: rule

kabisadUhin: to memorize

layUnin: goal; objective

sumUko: to give up; surrender

nakatuOn: focused (adj)

I'm reading the Malazan Book of the Fallen.

Edited 
0
#5
level
9
Posts409Likes154Joined10/7/2018LocationTrece Martires City / PH
Native
Tagalog
Other English

magaling! haha

do the right thing even when nobody is watching

Posted 
1
#6
level
6
Posts171Likes89Joined11/7/2018Location
Native
Tagalog
Other English, German, Spanish

leosmith wrote:
pAtakarAn: rule
kabisadUhin: to memorize
layUnin: goal; objective
sumUko: to give up; surrender
nakatuOn: focused (adj)


Magaling!  

Posted 
1
#7
level
6
Posts171Likes89Joined11/7/2018Location
Native
Tagalog
Other English, German, Spanish

Concatenation - a series of interconnected things or events. 


Posted 
1
#8
level
5
Posts76Likes67Joined9/7/2018Location
Native
English
Learning French, Spanish
Other Irish

Sourabh.Kumar wrote:
What five new words did you learn today?
I learned these words today:
1. Nonversation :- A conversation that seems meaningless or ridiculous.
2. Halcyon :- Peaceful, happy
3. Speculate :- Form a theory on something without a firm knowledge
4. Ornery :- Difficult to deal with
5. Bawl :- Weep or Cry noisily


Today I learned that 'nonversation' is an actual word in my native language! 

Posted 
2
#9
level
31
Posts927Likes581Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

James.B wrote:
Sourabh.Kumar wrote:
What five new words did you learn today?
I learned these words today:
1. Nonversation :- A conversation that seems meaningless or ridiculous.
2. Halcyon :- Peaceful, happy
3. Speculate :- Form a theory on something without a firm knowledge
4. Ornery :- Difficult to deal with
5. Bawl :- Weep or Cry noisily

Today I learned that 'nonversation' is an actual word in my native language!

I learned Halcyon, and assumed nonversation was some made-up millennial thing

I'm reading the Malazan Book of the Fallen.

Posted 
1
#10
level
9
Posts409Likes154Joined10/7/2018LocationTrece Martires City / PH
Native
Tagalog
Other English

Ignominious - despicable

do the right thing even when nobody is watching

Posted 
0
#11
level
1
Posts58Likes27Joined8/10/2018LocationManila / PH
Other English, Japanese, Korean

Sourabh.Kumar wrote:
What five new words did you learn today?
I learned these words today:
1. Nonversation :- A conversation that seems meaningless or ridiculous.
2. Halcyon :- Peaceful, happy
3. Speculate :- Form a theory on something without a firm knowledge
4. Ornery :- Difficult to deal with
5. Bawl :- Weep or Cry noisily


How come the word "nonversation" is not popular lol. I could've used it very often  

mismei

Posted 
0
#12
    Feedback