Cognates

Posts0Likes0Joined8/7/2018LocationAlmeria / ES
Native
English
Other Arabic - Egyptian, French, German, Spanish

One of my big interests in learning different languages or rather learning about different languages (as i probably wont master many) Is finding the similarities and differences and seeing geographically
how they have evolved and developed as we migrated across the globe .I love finding words we share and i don;t mean modern technological additions. I am especially interested in older languages for this reason.words we recognise parts of are referred to as cognates in linguistics .they have "a common etymological originThey do not always have the same meaning but sometimes have a similarity you can trace the root back to .It is like being a detective. I often find i can make a good guess at new vocabulary in a variety of languages from cognative abilty alone. I think perhaps because English is my native language and is such an amalgamation of many other languages and therefore find its roots within many of older languages. this example is from wikipedia to help better explain " For example, the English word dish and the German word Tisch ("table") are cognates because they both come from Latin discus, which relates to their flat surfaces. Cognates may have evolved similar, different or even opposite meanings. But, in most cases, there are some similar letters in the word."

"Cognates also do not need to have similar forms: English father, French père, and Armenian հայր (hayr) all descend directly from Proto-Indo-European *ph₂tḗr."

Posted 
Posts1637Likes1093Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

I took etymology in high school. It was very enlightening. 

In the Philippines now.

Edited 
Posts0Likes0Joined8/7/2018LocationAlmeria / ES
Native
English
Other Arabic - Egyptian, French, German, Spanish

I never finished my a level in Spanish ...life to me to Egypt to sing and dance instead little did I know Spain would be on the cards 9 years later but I wanted to study etymology. 

Posted 
    Feedback