The desire to learn Korean Language (Hangul) and Culture

Posts0Likes0Joined8/7/2018LocationPH
Native
English, Tagalog
Other Japanese, Korean, Spanish

Annyeonghaseyo! 안녕하세요 (Hello)

Due to the popularity of Korea, many people right now are very interested in learning the Korean Language or Hangul. I am guilty though, but I actually started being interested in Korean Language when I was in College. My Korean Teacher(SeonSaengNim) is Lee San Dok.

He is very patient and teaches us how to read and write Hangul even when is struggling to teach Korean using English language. 

If you are addicted to KDrama or Kpop you would know how excited I am to learn Korean.

I even follow Korean Celebrities and groups in Instagram just to be updated.

Let me share with you the basic and popular words in Korea.

Oppa ( 오빠 ) - Used in Korean culture by a female to a male, who is older than her by the boundary of 10 years. Females use this title for their older brother, older male friend, or even in a flirtatious way.

If you are a fan of BTS, Super Junior, EXO and other KPOP male group you call them OPPA!

Unni (언니) - A Korean term that means older/big sister that females call a female relative or a older girl they admire or respect. It is sometimes used as a honorific or to replace a person's name. 

Kamsahamnida ( 감사합니다 )- Polite way to say "thank you" in korean language.

I frequently hear this in every Korean Drama I watched. And I love to say it!

Bangapsumnida ( 반갑습니다 ) - Nice to meet you! So when you meet a Korean friend, tell him/her that. 

Gaja (가자) - Means, let's go! So when you want to treat your friend in a nice restaurant you say, Gaja!

Those are few basic and popular words, I will be happy to share more sometime.

I am still in the process of learning the Language as well.

I hope you can share yours. 

Annyeong!

안녕

Sources:

https://thearrivalstore.com/15-korean-phrases-learn-first/

https://www.dramafever.com/

https://www.urbandictionary.com

Edited 
Posts1630Likes1092Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

Nice post Lorwina. Feel free to read my learning log Korean - from scratch to B2 in one year. It's pretty long, but there might be something in there that you'll find useful.

In Thailand now. Next up Tanzania and Philippines.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined8/7/2018LocationPH
Native
English, Tagalog
Other Japanese, Korean, Spanish

Thank you so much! I will surely read it.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined11/7/2018Location
Native
Tagalog
Other English, German, Spanish

Kamsahamnida :)

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined10/7/2018LocationBinan City / PH
Native
Tagalog
Other English

Count me in!!! That's for the part of 'many who are very interested to learn Hangul'. Actually I started searching the net for related topics, and I'm really enjoying it! 

I have been quite a fan of korean dramas you know...hehe...one of my favorites is "Pinocchio".

Edzky-18

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined10/7/2018LocationPH

Thank you very much for this. It was very informative. Hoping to learn Korean soon.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined19/4/2019LocationUS
Native
English
Learning Korean

감사합니다! <3. I'm starting to learn Korean. Digging into Duolingo (the app I got from apknite). Also, watching Kdramas (currently, welcome to waikiki) and listening to Korean OSTs. Hwaiting!

Posted 
    Feedback