Ari's recent topics

Posts230Likes123Joined16/9/2018Location
Native
Spanish
Other English, Italian

I know there are a lot of people from the Philippines in here and I just want to say congratulations!!!!

Posted

-Ari-

Native
Spanish
Other English, Italian

Today December 8th, we celebrate mother's day in my country Panama. This special day varies per country. In my country is this date because this is the day of immaculate conception virgin. I also know that this day is celebrated on different days around the world.    

In my country they will serenade mom with songs and take her eat somewhere special. It is a day for family reunions and lots of presents for moms.

Can you share with me when do you celebrate mother's day and which are the traditions in your countries?

Edited

-Ari-

Native
Spanish
Other English, Italian

Este video conmemora el mes de la patria de Panamá que es Noviembre. Tiene unos subtítulos en Español, para los que están aprendiendo este bello idioma puedan practicar un poco.

Disfruten, que tengan un lindo día!!!!

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1185628478139697&id=1010197595682787

Posted

-Ari-

Native
Spanish
Other English, Italian

We already talked about the weird foods of your country, no share with me your favorite dish from where you are from.

For me tortillas, these are different from Mexican tortillas. Ours are corn based. They grind the cooked corn and put salt and sometimes cheese and fry them. They are usually eaten for breakfast but you can have them any time of the day.

Here is a pic of different kinds of fritters we eat. They are all my favorites.

https://www.google.com/search?q=panamanian.frituras&client=ms-android-att-us&prmd=isnv&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjT-Iiv6_XeAhVRR6wKHXRlCt4Q_AUoAXoECAwQAQ&biw=412&bih=718&dpr=2.63#imgrc=1HmRuI-ri95AtM

Edited

-Ari-

Native
Spanish
Other English, Italian

Sorry this is kind of a vent, but where I Iive usually when the weather starts to get cold everybody, I mean every single person is sick. I don't remember sickness being so bad when I was growing up in my native country. Is it like this where you live? How do you stay healthy?

Posted

-Ari-

Native
Spanish
Other English, Italian

Estas tres palabras se pronuncian igual, se escriben diferente y se usan diferente. Hasta las personas con un nivel nativo suelen equivocarse al usar estas palabras.

Aquí les comparto un Link que explica cuándo utilizar estas palabras correctamente.

http://www.rae.es/consultas/halla-haya-aya

Posted

-Ari-

Native
Spanish
Other English, Italian

Which old wives tales or traditional folk stories do you still believe?

For me, I never let my kids sleep with wet hair or let them stay cold so they don't catch a cold.

I also believe that if you spot a green cricket it means good luck or good news.

I don't celebrate any birthday earlier, I don't even know why but is a tradition I learned and I haven't stop doing it. Also I don't make important decisions or any procedure close to my birthday.

Posted

-Ari-

Native
Spanish
Other English, Italian

When I was young I wanted to be a professional back up dancer lol, the ones that dance behind an artist. I still love to dance, but I studied Business administration and actually ended up being a stay at home mom.

Posted

-Ari-

Native
Spanish
Other English, Italian

I used to see a language tools blue tab at the left top corner that will direct me to the latest posts. I cannot see it anymore:sob:

Posted

-Ari-

Native
Spanish
Other English, Italian

Yo le hago mucho énfasis la pronunciación de las vocales. En español si te aprendes como suenan las vocales puedes aprender a pronunciar la mayoría de las palabras correctamente ya que el sonido de las vocales nunca cambia como en Inglés. A, E, I, O, U.  

Aquí les dejo un Link sobre fonética. Esta muy bueno para los que están aprendiendo Español.

https://www.hf.uio.no/ilos/tjenester/kunnskap/sprak/nettsprak/spansk/portal/fonetica/index.html

Posted

-Ari-

Native
Spanish
Other English, Italian

What are your favorite activities that you enjoy in your free time besides learning a language.

I love, love, love baking, there is something about working with the dough that fascinates me.  

I love to run, it makes me feel free. The endorphins rush it is just brilliant.

And I tried crocheting, specifically amiguris, and surprisingly I like it, even though I hate sewing I really enjoyed crochet.

Posted

-Ari-

Native
Spanish
Other English, Italian

I am just curious if you invest some time to study a language where you have some fluently, but time passes and you wont use or practice that language. Is there a change to forget what you have learned or your brain will remember when you have the opportunity to use it again.

Posted

-Ari-

Native
Spanish
Other English, Italian

For me, it is like a gift from God. I like it hot or cold, cappuccino or espresso. It needs to be strong, with milk and lots of sugar. It warms my soul and I can not live without it.

How do you like your coffee?

Attached is a picture of the coffee from the flower to your cup.

Edited

-Ari-

Native
Spanish
Other English, Italian

Soy yo la única que le molesta ver las escrituras donde supuestamente debe haber una ñ y usa nia. Como montaña, montania o niño, nimio.

Déjame saber que piensan.   

Posted

-Ari-

Native
Spanish
Other English, Italian

I love to sleep lol. I am not sure why but I like to sleep a lot. I also like to bake any special dessert.

Posted

-Ari-

Native
Spanish
Other English, Italian

I just saw a video about a woman in Colorado harassing 2 women for speaking Spanish to each other at a store. There was this young lady who stepped up for them and called the cops on the harassing woman.

All this made me realized that I am very thankful for this forum where you can find like minded people who love languages and that can understand the importance of them, instead of seeing them as a threat.

Cheers to all of you, I wish you all the best!!!!

Posted

-Ari-

Native
Spanish
Other English, Italian

In my country we have what we call summer or dry season, which starts in December through May, and it is mostly sunny days. We also have a winter or rainy season from May to November which it is characterized by lots and lots of rain. Just 2 seasons and it is always hot. Because of these I am not built for cold weather so I suffer when is winter in the US, even though it is not that cold in my state. Another thing that really affects me in winter is that it would be dark by 5 pm.

Posted

-Ari-

Native
Spanish
Other English, Italian

With Halloween approaching, and Thanksgiving around the corner I am very curious to know if they celebrate this holidays or others in your native country if is not the United States.

For me, I am from Panama, my country is very diverse and super influenced by anything american, we even use the dollar as our currency. We do celebrate Halloween, Easter, Fathers Day, Mothers day but in another date, December 8th, Christmas and New Years are big for party, and now I see more people like having a dinner to give thanks, it is not as big as here but people are still copying this holiday.  

Posted

-Ari-

Native
Spanish
Other English, Italian

I know there are a lot of foreigners in this page. I was debating today with my husband and I will love to hear your input.

When I was a kid growing in Panama we learned in school that there were 5 continents.

America, Asia, Africa, Europa and Oceania, we never divided America as North America and South America, and I believe we learned about Antartica but they were only 5 continents. My husband couldn't believe me that they taught us like that in school. So we decided to Google it and we found out that in several countries they teach this in the same way they do it in mine, well at least when I was in school so many years ago. Maybe they have changed it now but this it what I've recall.

This is no a debate about which is the correct answer, it is most out of curiosity to know if is indeed true that other countries teach this differently than the US.

https://www.saberespractico.com/geografia/cuantos-continentes-hay/

Edited

-Ari-

Native
Spanish
Other English, Italian

Is there an option for editing a post in case it has any errors. I posted something without double checking that my phone auto corrected the word and change it for something else.

I know you can edit when you quote someone but I cannot see an option when you post.

Thanks in advance!!!!

Posted

-Ari-

Native
Spanish
Other English, Italian

I think it would be fun to post if you learned a new word today and what it means.

Today while reading a found the word treatise. 

The meaning is:

a written work dealing formally and systematically with a subject.

synonyms: disquisition, essay, paper, work, exposition, discourse, dissertation, thesis, monograph, opus, oeuvre, study, critique; More

tract, pamphlet, account

Posted

-Ari-

Native
Spanish
Other English, Italian

I don't know if this has been mentioned before but I would love to be able to chat in another pop up window while I am replying on the forum or using the other tools. So far when I have used the chat I have to close what I am doing and go to the chat screen to reply the person I am chatting to. This has been while I am chatting from my mobile.

Attached is a picture of what happened when I was creating this suggestion and tried to go to the chat.

Edited

-Ari-

Native
Spanish
Other English, Italian

I have noticed that at least here in the US they use so many abreviations like asap, DM, IG, DH and more. Even when I studied accounting in English and Spanish I did notice that in English everything was more simplified. Is it that the people in here is more efficient and cut right to the chase. Like when you read a communication in Spanish is usually more adorned but in English is right to the topic. Is it something cultural. What are your thoughts?

Posted

-Ari-

Native
Spanish
Other English, Italian

For some reason I cannot log out from py phone. I have a Samsung S9+. And I am using Chrome.

Posted

-Ari-

Native
Spanish
Other English, Italian

Can you see my profile picture. It is Mars. Is an image I uploaded from my phone but is not in the right direction. I can not see any rotation option to make my image right.

Thanks!

Posted

-Ari-

Native
Spanish
Other English, Italian

Hello, I am very curious to know what have work the best for you to learn a new language. Do you use a tutor, software, a book. Have you been able to learn several languages at the same time. Please share your experiences with me.

For me I have studied English since I was in kindergarten, because my school was a bilingual school. Half of the hours were in Spanish the other half in English. I learned a lot of vocabulary and Spelling but it wasn't until I came to the US that I began to practice speaking and pronunciation. I still struggle with my grammar the most.

Posted

-Ari-

Native
Spanish
Other English, Italian

Hi, I have found that the mobile version of the website is easier to navigate and use than the desktop version. For me, the reading tool doesn't work properly on my desktop. I am not sure if it is certain software requirement that my computer doesn't have.  

Thanks.

Posted

-Ari-

Feedback