Kosta.Cirkovic's recent topics

Posts0Likes0Joined23/9/2019LocationNovi Sad / RS
Native
Serbian
Learning Danish, English, Russian

So as a resident of the cluster of political nonsense known as the Balkans and a native Serbian speaker, I've spent my whole life talking to Croatians, Bosnians, and Montenegrins, watching their movies and TV shows, reading their books and similar stuff. The catch is, I don't speak Croatian, Bosnian or Montenegrin, or at least I don't think I do. I speak Serbian. I've never learned these languages, but as a Serbian speaker I understand them perfectly, and those people understand me. In fact, as a Serbian speaker from the north, I'm way more likely to understand a Croatian speaker from Zagreb or Slavonia than a fellow Serbian speaker from the deep south! How does that make any sense?!

I've spent all my childhood wondering why these languages are considered separate, when they are nearly exactly the same. Now I understand that in this exact example politics have made irreversible change to the language family, but there is a ton of examples of very intelligible languages being named separately, and some official "dialects" of one language being very tough to understand for standard or different dialect speakers of that same language. For example, why is Venetian a separate language to Italian or Galician to Spanish, but Swiss German and Latin American Spanish are just dialects of German and Spanish? Why are a Moroccan and an Iraqi both native speakers Arabic, if they are likely to have pretty significant difficulties talking to each other due to how different their dialects are?

What do you think? Do you sometimes disagree with the official definitions? To be honest, to me Serbian, Croatian, Bosnian and Montenegrin will always be the same language, even if they are spoken by different nations. Where do you draw the line on what you consider a language or a dialect?

Posted

JEG KAN IKKE FORSTÅ

Native
Serbian

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you my favourite thing in the whole world: a place where you can learn English through watching Pokemon! Literally all episodes of Pokemon ever made are available for free on here, and you can watch them in 12 different languages (so far): English (UK and US), Spanish (European and Latin American), French, German, Russian, Danish, Swedish, Norwegian, Dutch, Italian, Finnish and Brazilian Portuguese. 

For a Pokemon fan like myself it's incredibly cool to be able to improve my Danish through watching one of my favourite shows ever. And since I've caught most of my early English knowledge from cartoons I used to watch as a kid, I'm really happy I can do that with Danish as well.

Also, I thought this could be really useful for anyone teaching children a foreign language, since I doubt any kid would object to being ordered to watch Pokemon as homework :D

Anyway, here's the link, and if anyone wants to talk about Pokemon on here, I'm open to that :D

https://watch.pokemon.com/en-us/

(the language options are at the bottom of the page, you have to scroll all the way down)

Posted

JEG KAN IKKE FORSTÅ

Native
Serbian

As someone who's been on the internet for the majority of my life, it has always been very interesting for me to see how people from different cultures with different mother tongues write online. It's so interesting, actually, that I've actually become quite adept at guessing which country someone comes from based on some niche internet thing only people from there use. :)

How do concensuses (is that the right plural form?) like these happen, though? For example, why does the whole world use a semicolon and a closed parenthesis to form a smiley face, like this :) while Russian speakers use just a closed parenthesis like this ) ? Why is "xD" or "xd" widely used in Europe, and seen as cringe in America? Why do Brits add an x to the end of every text? Why are emojis in general so wildly popular among my Chinese students, to the point that I don't know what most of them mean? haha

Are there any online "quirks" your language has? Serbian people in general like adding the letter Y (or a bunch of them) to the end of a word for some reason, for example. What about you?

Posted

JEG KAN IKKE FORSTÅ

Native
Serbian

Hej allesammen!

Jeg har studeret dansk pa universitetet i et år (jeg har lige begyndt min andet år), og ville altid gerne snakke dansk med nogen :) Det er lige meget om i taler rigtigt godt dansk eller i har lige begyndte med at studere, jeg ville godt gerne høre fra jer :)

Hvordan går det, venner? Hvor er i fra, hvad laver du, hvorfor og hvordan studerer du dansk?

Posted

JEG KAN IKKE FORSTÅ

Feedback