devilyoudont's recent topics

Posts0Likes0Joined4/7/2018LocationPhiladelphia / US
Native
English
Learning Japanese

I use Netflix a lot to try to watch material in my target languages. It can be hard for me to locate material in my target languages, especially because I mainly am uninterested in anime TV shows, but I do enjoy all kinds of animated films.

Previously, I have been trying to locate shows on Netflix based on searching for audio in my target languages

https://www.netflix.com/browse/audio

But, this pulls up a lot of things that are dubbed into my target languages. I find dubs to be somewhat undesirable because I know how unnatural dubs sometimes are in my native language, and I have every reason to think the quality of dubs will be worse in other languages.

By using the secret codes, I can find material that was produced in my target languages originally.

Here is an article at Mashable explaining what the secret categories are: https://mashable.com/article/netflix-search-codes/#uyaD2Hr.rmqC

Basically the URL is:

http://www.netflix.com/browse/genre/###

And ### = the code number

The list at Mashable is not exhaustive. For example: I was able to find Japanese Movies & TV 100385 by clicking around Japanese Movies.

There are some cases where Netflix only has an English dub available for a work originally in one of my target languages.

I took the liberty of going thru the list at Mashable and pulling out any categories that might be useful for language learners.

African Movies: 3761

Anime: 7424

Anime Action: 2653

Anime Comedies: 9302

Anime Dramas: 452

Anime Fantasy: 11146

Anime Features: 3063

Anime Horror: 10695

Anime Sci-Fi: 2729

Anime Series: 6721

Asian Action Movies: 77232

British Movies: 10757

British TV Shows: 52117

Chinese Movies: 3960

Dutch Movies: 10606

Eastern European Movies: 5254

Foreign Action & Adventure: 11828

Foreign Comedies: 4426

Foreign Documentaries: 5161

Foreign Dramas: 2150

Foreign Gay & Lesbian Movies: 8243

Foreign Horror Movies: 8654

Foreign Movies: 7462

Foreign Sci-Fi & Fantasy: 6485

Foreign Thrillers: 10306

French Movies: 58807

German Movies: 58886

Greek Movies: 61115

Indian Movies: 10463

Irish Movies: 58750

Italian Movies: 8221

Japanese Movies: 10398

Korean Movies: 5685

Korean TV Shows: 67879

Latin American Movies: 1613

Latin Music: 10741

Middle Eastern Movies: 5875

Romantic Foreign Movies: 7153

Russian: 11567

Scandinavian Movies: 9292

Southeast Asian Movies: 9196

Spanish Movies: 58741

World Music Concerts: 2856

Posted
Native
English
Learning Japanese

So, I keep a log over on language-learners.org but I decided to also mirror my log over here I study Japanese Sunday to Tuesday, Spanish Wednesday to Friday, and Esperanto on Saturdays. I usually update two or three times a week, noting what I did for each language over the course of the week.

What gets measured gets done!

Spanish Log:

Reading:

El huevo de chocolate

--Las princesas delicadas

Wikipedia

--History of the Spanish Language

Watching:

Netflix (with Spanish audio and Spanish subtitles)

--Juana Inés

Listening:

Podcasts (3hrs 13mins)

--Cienciaes.com

--SpanishLingQ

--Duolingo Spanish

SRS:

Reviewed 148 cards.

Made 26 cards.

Struggles:

Still recovering from end of the month overtime... it seemed like I didn't have energy to do anything this week.

Successes:

I went back and reread Caperucita. I feel like the flashcards generated from this story have really upped my comprehension of the total story.

I read about the history of the spanish language. It is my hope that by understanding sound changes that occurred in spanish, I might recognize cognates between Esperanto and Spanish more easily. Plori and Llorar is one such pair I realized from reading this. 

Esperanto:

Reading:

From Virino ĉe la landlimo

--Iluzio (16 pages)

Listening:

Podcasts (32 mins)

--Kern punkt

--Pola retradio en Esperanto

Writing:

Just chatting with friends again.

Struggles:

I was hoping to do some work on translating a bot to Esperanto or on adding more ice breaker questions in Esperanto to that bot, but I just didn't have energy for that.

Successes:

I enjoyed Iluzio a lot more than I enjoyed the previous short play. Maybe not a surprise because Iluzio isn't a tragedy. There were a few parts where I did laugh a little bit, and I felt like the ending really paid off, which is not something I usually think about such a short work. Also, I was feeling lazy, and didn't look up any literary words I didn't know, but this didn't impede my understanding of the play.

Posted
Native
English
Learning Japanese

Hello! My name is Lily. 

I've always been fascinated by languages. My native language is English. I am currently studying: Esperanto, Japanese, and Spanish. I am high intermediate/advanced in Esperanto, low intermediate in Japanese, and a beginner in Spanish. 

Outside of languages, my main interests are: activism, drawing, reading, playing video games. I would like to learn to play a musical instrument at some point in my life, but I haven't made meaningful progress on that goal yet, lol.

Anyway, I hope we all get along and learn languages together.

Posted
Feedback