LC.Support's recent posts

Posts78Likes27Joined22/3/2019LocationUS
Native
English
Learning German

What browsers do you support?

Language Crush supports the latest 2 versions of all major web browsers including Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Safari, Edge and Opera.

Language Crush does not support browsers which are no longer in active development, such as Microsoft Internet Explorer. If you are using Internet Explorer you may experience difficulties with some of the features on our site.

For the optimal experience on Language Crush we recommend keeping your operating system and browser up-to-date.

Edited

Language Crush Support Team

Native
English
Learning German

What is your language learning philosophy?

Language Crush has no fixed method to sell. We provide a variety of tools to help you find your own rhythm, and a community to help you feel at home.

Edited

Native
English
Learning German

Which languages does Language Crush support?

We support all Google Translate languages and beta languages, which numbered over 140 at the time of this post. They are:

Afrikaans (afr)

Albanian (sql)

Amharic (amh)

Apache (apa)

Arabic - Egyptian (arz)

Arabic - Gulf (afb)

Arabic - other (axx)

Arabic - Standard (arb)

Armenian (arm)

Aymara (aym)

Azerbaijani (aze)

Basque (eus)

Belarusian (bel)

Bengali (ben)

Berber (ber)

Bosnian (bos)

Bulgarian (bul)

Burmese (bur)

Catalan (cat)

Cebuano (ceb)

Chechen (che)

Cherokee (chr)

Chewa (nya)

Chinese - Cantonese (yue)

Chinese - Mandarin (cmn)

Chinese - other (zhx)

Corsican (cor)

Creole - Haitian (hat)

Creole - other (cre)

Croatian (hrv)

Czech (cze)

Danish (dan)

Dutch (dut)

English (eng)

Esperanto (epo)

Estonian (est)

Finnish (fin)

French (fre)

Frisian (fry)

Fulah (ful)

Gaelic (gla)

Galician (glg)

Georgian (geo)

German (ger)

Greek - Ancient (grc)

Greek - Modern (gre)

Guarani (grn)

Gujarati (guj)

Hausa (hau)

Hawaiian (haw)

Hebrew (heb)

Hindi (hin)

Hmong (hmn)

Hungarian (hun)

Icelandic (ice)

Igbo (ibo)

Indonesian (ind)

Irish (gle)

Italian (ita)

Japanese (jpx)

Javanese (jav)

Kannada (kan)

Kazakh (kaz)

Khmer (khm)

Kinyarwanda (kin)

Korean (kor)

Kurdish (kur)

Kyrgyz (kir)

Lao (lao)

Latin (lat)

Latvian (lav)

Lithuanian (lit)

Luxembourgish (ltz)

Maasai (maa)

Macedonian (mac)

Malagasy (mlg)

Malay (may)

Malayalam (mal)

Maltese (mlt)

Manx (glv)

Maori (mri)

Marathi (mar)

Mayan (myn)

Mongolian (mon)

Montenegrin (cnr)

Nahuatl (nah)

Navajo (nav)

Neapolitan (nap)

Nepali (nep)

Nheengatu (yrl)

Norwegian (nor)

Oromo (orm)

Other (oth)

Pashto (pus)

Persian (per)

Polish (pol)

Portuguese (por)

Punjabi (pun)

Quechua (que)

Romanian (rum)

Russian (rus)

Samoan (smo)

Sanskrit (san)

Serbian (srp)

Sesotho (sot)

Shambaa (sha)

Shona (sna)

Sicilian (scn)

Sign Language - ASL (asl)

Sign Language - other (sgn)

Sindhi (snd)

Sinhala (sin)

Sioux (sio)

Slovak (slo)

Slovenian (slv)

Somali (som)

Spanish (spa)

Sudanese (arp)

Swahili (swa)

Swedish (swe)

Swiss German (gsw)

Tagalog (tgl)

Tajik (tgk)

Tamil (tam)

Tatar (tat)

Telugu (tel)

Thai (tha)

Tibetan (tib)

Toki Pona (tok)

Turkish (tur)

Turkmen (tuk)

Ukrainian (ukr)

Urdu (urd)

Uyghur (uig)

Uzbek (uzb)

Vietnamese (vie)

Welsh (wel)

Xhosa (xho)

Yiddish (yid)

Yoruba (yor)

Zulu (zul)

Edited

Native
English
Learning German

I am no longer using Language Crush. How can I deactivate my account?

We'll be sorry to see you go! To deactivate your account please go to settings and select "I want to deactivate my account". Optional: if you don’t mind, please let us know why you’re leaving. 

Edited

Native
English
Learning German

Language Crush on IOS

If you want to use Language Crush on the go without waiting, you can install the Language Tools web app, which will give you access to all your favorite features, without your browser coming in the way, exactly like in a real app. 

To install the Language Crush web app on your iPhone or iPad, follow these steps:

1. Open Safari

2. Go to https://languagecrush.com and log in to your account

3. Tap the Share button at the bottom of the page

4. Select the option Add to Home Screen

5. Name the web app Language Crush and tap Add

6. You're done!

You can now launch the Language Crush web app from the Home Screen by tapping its icon and continue learning.

Edited

Native
English
Learning German

How do I use Language Crush on my mobile device?

We recommend you download and use our free app for the best possible mobile experience.

For Android, go here.

For iOS (iPhone or iPad), go here.

Edited

Native
English
Learning German

Is registration required?

You may browse the site without an account, but in order to use the tools, you must complete registration. Registration is free. 

Edited

Native
English
Learning German

Can I change the display language of the site?

Unfortunately, not at this time.  

Edited

Native
English
Learning German

Here is a list of the points required to Level UP:

Posted

Native
English
Learning German

Copywrite - when is it ok to share, or make a passage public?

It is always ok to make private passages. To share passages in public, you cannot violate copywrite. If they state specifically that it is ok to repost, or if it is in public domain, then you can share it here. If not, you can ask them for permission and wait for approval to share it. Otherwise, you must keep it private.

Edited

Native
English
Learning German

Where do reading tool translations come from?

The original translation comes from Google Translate, but there are many user definitions in the system too. You may add your own definitions. The most popular definition comes to the top of the list, unless you have toggled one to "used". There are also external dictionaries conveniently linked to the reading tool, so you can choose a definition from them if you prefer. If you would like us to add an external dictionary, please post it here.

Posted

Native
English
Learning German

How do I get paid?

From the dashboard click Teacher Wallet> withdraw funds> enter Paypal email and amount> hit Withdraw (you must have at least $10 in your account to withdraw). You will then be sent an email, and you have to open it and hit "confirm". Your Paypal account will be credited within 3 days. 

Edited

Native
English
Learning German

Do you have an app?

Yes we do, for both Android and iOS. You can find out more here!

Edited

Native
English
Learning German

How do students book an instant lesson from me?

When you are logged in students will see you offering instant lessons on the dashboard (homepage) and at the top of the find a teacher list. They will select the Instant Lesson button to book the lesson. To verify that this is working, when you are logged in look for yourself on the dashboard.

Posted

Native
English
Learning German

How do I activate instant lessons?

Click your avatar in the upr rh corner. Select 'edit profile' from the dropdown. Select 'classes' from the tabs along the top of the screen. Scroll down to instant lessons. Key in a price. Select 'Instant lesson requests enabled' button, then hit 'update'. 

Posted

Native
English
Learning German

How do I change availability on a specific date?

Click your avatar in the upr rh corner. Select 'edit profile' from the dropdown. Select 'schedule' from the tabs along the top of the screen. You will now see 2 tabs - weekly schedule and calendar. Select calendar, and go to the date you want to modify by hitting 'next' if needed. Make your changes and hit 'save'. 

Posted

Native
English
Learning German

Will my schedule shift to match daylight savings time?

For example, if I have 8am – 9am shaded in my schedule before daylight savings, will it stay 8am- 9am during daylight savings, or will it shift to 9am-10am?

The system stores time and date relative to UTC, so it will shift to 9am-10am.  

Posted

Native
English
Learning German

When I receive a request it is in my local time or the student time?

Generally speaking it's in your local time. But if you don't change your computer time when you travel, meaning if you keep it locked in your home country's time, then it won't be in your local time.

Posted

Native
English
Learning German

How do I change my lesson price?

Click your avatar in the upr rh corner. Select 'edit profile' from the dropdown. Select 'classes' from the tabs along the top of the screen. You should see a list of any classes you created there. If you look carefully, on the rh side of each class listed you will see a little edit symbol (a pen) and a little delete symbol (trashcan). Select edit, scroll a down a bit and you'll see the price per lesson. Key in your new price and hit confirm. 

Edited

Native
English
Learning German

Is there any way to turn all the Chinese characters in a passage directly into jyutping (pinyin/kana) and display it?

No there isn't, but as a work-around you could add your own "translation" to a passage, which could contain full jyutping. To do this with someone else’s passage, first copy it (edit>copy), copy and paste the passage text into a Chinese Character to jyutping converter and convert it, select “full translation” in the passage, select language (doesn’t matter what you choose) paste your jyutping in, save and open, select full translation on the rh side. This will give you the full text visible in Jutping which may solve your problem, but it’s just text – you won’t be able to click on jyutping words to get definitions and such.

Posted

Native
English
Learning German

Can I add translations to a passage in different languages?

Yes. We have added the ability to add "full translations" when you create or edit a passage in any language you want. You can add as many as you want. The way to access them is when you read the passage you will see the "full text translation" button on the RH side. You can choose the available translations in the dropdown, and the entire RH side will display the translation. Selecting a word on the LH side will toggle it back to normal mode. To go back to full translation mode, just hit the button again.

Posted

Native
English
Learning German

Why are display names restricted to characters to a-z, 0-9 and?

Display names are unique to prevent abuse. For example, if they weren’t unique someone could join, call themselves leosmith, and make malicious posts. We also restricted the characters to a-z, 0-9 and . (this is the same thing facebook does). We did this because many people might not notice the difference if there is a small accent mark over a character or something, so they might think it’s the same person. 

Edited

Native
English
Learning German

aseem wrote:
Could you please add Linguee for German.

Added

Posted

Native
English
Learning German

How do I change the state of a word, add a definition, look it up in the dictionary, split, join, etc?

Select a word by double tapping, or touch the word and you will see a “select” button. Selecting will take you to the definition window where you will be able to change the state of the word, add a definition, look it up in the dictionary, split, join, etc. When you want to go back to the reading window, just swipe left.

Posted

Native
English
Learning German

How do I select a phrase?

Click the first word of the phrase, then click/hold the last word.

Posted

Native
English
Learning German

Can I import subtitles from YouTube videos?

Yes! If you want to import subtitles, make sure your video has closed captions in your desired language (look for the Closed caption icon in the YouTube frame). Some auto-generated and auto-translated subtitles will not import. If the subtitles don't import, the video will still be embedded.

Edited

Native
English
Learning German

Do I have to mark a lesson complete at the end of each lesson?

When the lesson is over you will get a pop-up asking if it was completed or not. If it was completed, you should select "yes" and leave feedback. If not, you should select "no", leave a reason, and the lesson will go into inquiry. If you don't do anything with the pop-up, the lesson will automatically be marked complete 72 hrs after the end of the scheduled lesson time, and the teacher will be paid.

Edited

Native
English
Learning German

What is your cancellation policy for lessons?

Lessons can be canceled by the student or the teacher up to 24 hours before the start of the lesson.

Lessons will be cancelled automatically by the system if:

a) the teacher hasn't accepted the lesson within 48 hours from when the request was made

OR

b) in cases where the lesson was requested less than 48 hours prior to start time, the lesson will be cancelled at the start time if the teacher hasn't accepted the lesson

Edited

Native
English
Learning German

How do I create a video that attracts students?

• First off, make sure you include all the requirement elements, listed here.
  • Be natural, as if you are speaking directly to the student; avoid reading a script
  • Touch on your experience, your approach and your teaching philosophy. Enthusiasm for teaching will make your students feel more welcome.
  • Be creative – show your personality! Students will be looking for someone who stands out.
  • Adding extras like subtitles, music or simple editing can help your video stand out even more
  • Keep it short and direct; we recommend 1-4 minutes but we find that 2 is usually plenty

Edited

Native
English
Learning German

Regarding PayPal - where do I add information for withdrawals? Is payment automatic?

You'll be prompted for your PayPal email when you elect to make a withdrawal from your Teacher Wallet. Payment is not automatic; you may request payment at any time as long as the balance in your Teacher Wallet is above $10. We process payment requests in 3 days or less. 

Edited

Native
English
Learning German

What is your cancellation policy for lessons?

Lessons can be cancelled by the student or the teacher up to 24 hours before the start of the lesson. 

Lessons will be cancelled automatically by the system if: 

a) the teacher hasn't accepted the lesson within 48 hours from when the request was made 

OR 

b) in cases where the lesson was requested less than 48 hours prior to start time, the lesson will be cancelled at the start time if the teacher hasn't accepted the lesson

Edited

Native
English
Learning German

What is the process for accepting lessons?

Once a lesson is requested by a student, you may accept it. Accepting a lesson is a confirmation that you'll teach the lesson at the designated time. You'll receive an email notification as well as a system notification on the dashboard, and you'll need to click "accept." Please respond as soon as you are able. A lack of response on the part of the teacher can lead to lesson being cancelled by the system. See "What is your cancellation policy for lessons?" for details. 

Edited

Native
English
Learning German

You provided a quick tour of Language Tools when I first joined. Can I see that again?

You bet! When logged in, you can view the onboarding tour here.  

Posted

Native
English
Learning German

What advice do you have for teachers?

Here are a few best practices for teachers to attract and retain students: 

• Being an active and engaged member of the LT community is one of the best ways to attract students: write and respond to forum posts, join chat rooms and correct essays. Not only will this help you become a more visible community members, but your activity is also summarized on your teacher profile 
  • Follow the guidelines for creating an effective profile and video
  • Try to be as responsive as possible to messages and lesson requests
  • Before you start working with a student, try to get a good understanding of their background and goals – they will appreciate it and the lesson will go more smoothly
  • At the end of the session, summarize the lesson and discuss areas of focus and possible next steps. If you offer a package of lesson for a discounted rate, tell them!
  • Follow up with your student after the lesson to ask for their feedback, and encourage them to take another lesson – do everything you can to improve your star rating
  • Offer a trial lesson – students like the option to shop around. This is great way to start a relationship and see if you are a good fit. 

Edited

Native
English
Learning German

How do I write a profile that attracts students?

• Make sure all the information on your profile is up-to-date and accurate so students searching for your experience and qualifications will find you
  • Be sure you add all your qualifications like years teaching, language certificates, and awards 
  • Add some personal tags that showcase not only your teaching style but also share some of your interests or personality
  • Present a unique class offering–perhaps you can offer a class that has a focus that other teachers in your language don’t offer

Posted

Native
English
Learning German

We’re excited to announce a new look for Language Tools! ⭐️⭐️⭐️

Our primary goal with this design update was to more clearly explain the benefits of Language Tools to both prospective users and existing members. We also wanted to brighten up the site with more colors, and create an even more user-friendly browsing experience for our students and teachers. We’ve also added a “My Lessons” tab to the dashboard that gives a quick view of the status of all your lessons, and we've expanded our FAQ section.

But we’re not done yet! Over the coming weeks and months, we will continue to iterate and improve the site to bring an even better language learning environment to our community. And because you’re part of that community, we want to hear from you! Send your feedback, thoughts, and questions to support@languagetools.io. 

We look forward to hearing from you!

Posted

Native
English
Learning German

Do I have to take lessons in order to use the free tools?

Lessons are not required. They are encouraged as a way to boost your language learning if you choose to do so. Costs for lessons vary depending on the teacher. You can browse our teachers and rates on our Find a Teacher page. 

Edited

Native
English
Learning German

Can I change my notification settings?

Of course! Go to Account Settings, scroll down and you will find Notification Settings.

Posted

Native
English
Learning German

I see other users have personalized their profile with signatures and personal tags. How can I do that?

Click "Edit Profile" and then find the tab labeled "Profile." Scroll down and you will find signature and tags. If you don't see the personal tag you are looking for, you can create it!

Posted

Native
English
Learning German

I'd like to change my display name; how can I do that?

Updates to the display name are handled by the Language Tools support team. Contact our support team with this request. 

Edited

Native
English
Learning German

My email address changed, how can I update it?

No problem. Simply log on to Language Tools and go to Account Settings. Under "Change Details" you can update your email. 

Posted

Native
English
Learning German

During an inquiry about my lesson, my teacher and I disagreed about something. How will this get resolved?

The lesson will go into dispute. Language Tools will review any evidence and submitted materials pertaining to the dispute and make a final, binding ruling. 

Posted

Native
English
Learning German

My teacher missed the lesson. What happens next?

After a lesson there will be a pop-up asking if the lesson was completed successfully. In this case, you would respond “no” and provide “Teacher was absent” as the reason. If the teacher agrees, we'll send your refund. If the teacher disagrees, the lesson goes into dispute.

Posted

Native
English
Learning German

I missed my lesson – how can I reschedule?

You may contact the teacher to reschedule. Although certain teachers may be willing to reschedule or work something out, if you missed the lesson the teacher is entitled to be paid for the time they held for the lesson. 

Posted

Native
English
Learning German

My schedule changed. Can I change my lesson time?

You can request a schedule change if it is more than 24 hours from the scheduled start time of the lesson. 

If it's within 24 hours of the lesson start time, the schedule is locked and the teacher is entitled to be paid, though some teachers may be willing to work something out with you. 

Posted

Native
English
Learning German

What's the inquiry process?

After a lesson, the student is asked if it was completed successfully. If the answer is "no", the lesson enters the inquiry process. The lesson is said to be "in inquiry" while LT inquires of both the student and teacher why the lesson wasn't completed as expected.

Posted

Native
English
Learning German

I found a teacher I'd like to work with. How do I schedule a lesson?

Great! Simply click "Book a Lesson" for that teacher. Provide your contact information, select the language and lesson you want, select a time, and then complete the purchase. Please note that in order to purchase a lesson you'll need to have enough funds in your student wallet to cover the cost of the lesson.  

Posted

Native
English
Learning German

How can I find the right teacher?

Our teacher search tool makes it easy to find the right fit: you can specify language, skills, times and dates, and rates. Many teachers offer a trial lesson which is a good way to meet them and see if it's a good fit. 

Edited

Native
English
Learning German

I want to take some lessons. How does payment work?

Language Tools has a secure, built-in payment tool that makes purchasing lessons a breeze. Simply add some funds to your Student Wallet using a credit card or PayPal account. Your Student Wallet will need to have enough funds to cover the lessons you'd like to purchase.

Posted

Native
English
Learning German

How does color coding vocabulary work?

The Reading Tool includes a mouse-over dictionary that allows you to highlight words and show their definition. As you read, select words to toggle from unknown to learning to known, or add/edit definitions. The words will be color-coded and this information will be saved for future lessons. 

Posted

Native
English
Learning German

Can I upload an audio file?

Yes, and that is a great way to combine reading with listening.

Posted

Native
English
Learning German

Are there reading passages I can work on, or do I need to add my own?

Both! We have a searchable library of publicly available passages. You can also upload your own passages. If you have the rights to share your passage, you can add it to the library for others to access. 

Posted

Native
English
Learning German

Is there a standardized way to correct an essay?

Our platform uses auto-tracking so corrections are consistent and clear.

Posted

Native
English
Learning German

Can an essay be corrected multiple times?

Yes. All corrections for a given essay will appear beneath the original essay. 

Posted

Native
English
Learning German

Can I keep my writing private?

No. Since the Write & Correct feature is a community driven tool, all essays and writing samples you add will appear under "Community Essays" which is visible to all members. 

Posted

Native
English
Learning German

I'd like to practice writing and get corrections. Who corrects essays on Language Tools?

We rely on our community of native speakers, teachers and language enthusiasts to correct essays. We encourage you to give back and correct an essay in your native language if you are able.

Posted

Native
English
Learning German

The same member keeps inviting me to chat, and I'm not interested. What can I do?

Any member of Language Tools can ignore another member. Simply find their profile page and click "ignore" and any messages they send to you won't go through. 

Posted

Native
English
Learning German

What if I don't feel like chatting now?

You can simply decline chat requests, or if you want to turn chat off completely, go to chat, select settings and toggle chat enabled to chat disabled.

Posted

Native
English
Learning German

I see you have a voice chat feature. How does that work?

Go to Chat, select a member from the list of available members and send them a chat request. At this point you can select "call" for voice chat, but we recommend you exchange some introductory text messages first, out of courtesy.

Posted

Native
English
Learning German

Is the chat a private chat or a group chat?

Both! For 1-1 chat, online members specify which language they are available to chat in. You can sort the online members list by language spoken, language learning, gender and location. Select a member and invite them to chat with you. For group conversation, join a language-specific room.

Posted

Native
English
Learning German

What language is the forum in?

The forum is in English, but we have an "Other than English" category where you can practice other languages. 

Edited

Native
English
Learning German

Are certain topics off limit?

Yes. We have a common goal: language acquisition with the support and encouragement of one another in that pursuit. Please review our Community Policy and be respectful at all times. 

Edited

Native
English
Learning German

What kinds of conversations happen on the LT Community Forum?

All kinds! Because this a language learning website, most topics revolve around language acquisition and related topics. We also have an “Off topic” thread for other conversations and a lot of interesting conversations happen there. 

Posted

Native
English
Learning German

Do I need to offer a trial lesson?

Offering trials lessons is optional but encouraged. It’s 30 min, and it’s meant to be an inexpensive way for the teacher and student to see if they are right for each other. The trial class price is independent of normal class price. The content of the trial class is up to the teacher. 

Posted

Native
English
Learning German

Do you provide materials for lessons?

The actual teaching, lesson plans, etc are entirely up to the teacher and student. Our job is to bring the two together and manage the time and fees.

Posted

Native
English
Learning German

My video is done. How can I add it to my profile?

Simply upload the video to YouTube, Vimeo or Youku and then add the link in your teacher application. 

Posted

Native
English
Learning German

What are the teacher video requirements?

-Record the video in a horizontal format

-Record your video in an environment with good lighting and limited background noise

-Your video should be between 1 and 4 minutes long

-Include a brief statement about your experience and qualifications, and why you enjoy teaching languages

-Please show yourself actually speaking all languages you will teach

-Please don’t include any personal contact information – interested students will contact you through the platform

Posted

Native
English
Learning German

What language level do I need to be able to teach?

Normally we only accept native speakers, although occasionally we accept advanced non-natives provided their video and writing shows they are truly advanced. 

Posted

Native
English
Learning German

What are the requirements to become a teacher?

To become a teacher, submit an application. The key components are your language level (you need to be a native speaker, or at a very high level, in the language you want to teach). You'll also be required to submit a video which will be part of your profile and demonstrates your ability to speak all languages you want to teach.

Posted

Feedback