Why is the left hand frowned upon so much?

Posts0Likes0Joined6/10/2018LocationLagos / NG
Native
English
Other French

Yesterday, i went out to buy something from a shop and gave the shop owner money with my left hand. The next thing he says is, "Give me that with your right hand". I didn't do this intentionally, i am left-handed. I was pissed, i asked him what the problem was with my left hand and he says It's disrespectful. It's crazy, i was born this way and i don't need a constant reminder that being left-handed is bad luck. I don't have to explain myself to everyone i meet.

Okay I'm done ranting.

Kevwe A.

Posted 
Posts230Likes123Joined16/9/2018Location
Native
Spanish
Other English, Italian

No worries, think that it is not a bad thing everywhere in the world. I would have never pay close attention to what hand a person is using for anything else but writing, and even that I would never relate it to bad luck. Best wishes!!!!

-Ari-

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined5/6/2018LocationLapu-lapu / PH
Native
Cebuano, Tagalog
Other English

Nothing wrong with being a left-handed. In fact, I find it beautiful and unique. I think there is something wrong the mindset of the shop owner.  

Charlyn Amoin

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined11/7/2018LocationManila / PH
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, Korean

I think it's because that's the hand used to wipe/wash when we poop. :)

--

ikay

Posted 
Native
English
Other French

Ari wrote:
No worries, think that it is not a bad thing everywhere in the world. I would have never pay close attention to what hand a person is using for anything else but writing, and even that I would never relate it to bad luck. Best wishes!!!!

Thanks Ari.

Kevwe A.

Posted 
Native
English
Other French

ikaymoreno wrote:

Really Ikay?

Kevwe A.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined11/7/2018LocationManila / PH
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, Korean

Oghenekevwe wrote:
ikaymoreno wrote:

:laughing: Really Ikay?

Hahahahaha! I remember reading about it somewhere. I found an article talking about it but the one I remember reading was French-related. :)

https://www.justlanded.com/english/Dubai/Forums/Culture/Arabic-culture

--

ikay

Posted 
Posts230Likes123Joined16/9/2018Location
Native
Spanish
Other English, Italian

ikaymoreno wrote:

Not everyone uses that hand for that purpose:joy::joy::joy:. But now that you mention it, I remember that I saw on one of those travel shows, that people in India who eats with their hands find eating with their left hand disrespectful because of what you mentioned.

-Ari-

Posted 
    Feedback