"B" and "V"

Posts0Likes0Joined4/9/2018LocationCaracas / VE
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

Do you think that "B" or "V" might disappear in a distant future? Maybe as "J" replaced "X" in old spanish. Even though their pronunciation may vary, they share similarities. What do you think?

Posted 
Posts230Likes123Joined16/9/2018Location
Native
Spanish
Other English, Italian

I don't think so, at least not in the near future. But that is a very interesting thought.

-Ari-

Posted 
Posts1630Likes1092Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

Jess.PWinkler wrote:
"J" replaced "X" in old spanish

Like in "Mejico"?

In Thailand now. Next up Tanzania and Philippines.

Posted 
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

leosmith wrote:
Jess.PWinkler wrote:

Like in "Mejico"?

Yes, but there are other examples, there are names that were like "Ximena" and are now "Jimena"... Other cases are more conservative and keep the "X", like "Xavi Alonso" from Spain Footbal club, it's hard to find a "Xavier" and a lot more easier to find a "Javier". I was thinking that maybe due their similarities, something similar could happen with the "V" and "B"

Posted 
Posts230Likes123Joined16/9/2018Location
Native
Spanish
Other English, Italian

I think that doesn't applies for names. I have a friend named Ximena and the pronunciation is different.

-Ari-

Posted 
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English
"In Old Spanish, words like "caja", "bajo", and "jarabe" were originally spelled with an "x", and pronounced as "sh" (voiceless palato-alveolar sibilant).
In the 1815 the spellings were officially changed from an "x" to a "j" by the RAE, including words like "Méjico" and "Tejas". By this time, the "j" was pronounced the same as "x" (previously it was pronounced like a French "j" (voiced palato-alveolar sibilant)). Over time, some words (like "Méjico", "Tejas", "Oajaca", and "Javier") reverted back to the "x" spelling, but retained their "j" pronunciation. And the letter "j" took on the "h" pronunciation that we know today."

https://spanish.stackexchange.com/questions/245/why-is-the-x-in-m%C3%A9xico-or-texas-pronunced-as-the-letter-j-por-qu%C3%A9-la

Posted 
Posts1630Likes1092Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

Jess.PWinkler wrote:
leosmith wrote:
Jess.PWinkler wrote:

Like in "Mejico"?

Yes, but there are other examples, there are names that were like "Ximena" and are now "Jimena"... Other cases are more conservative and keep the "X", like "Xavi Alonso" from Spain Footbal club, it's hard to find a "Xavier" and a lot more easier to find a "Javier". I was thinking that maybe due their similarities, something similar could happen with the "V" and "B"

I was just joking actually - Mexicans really don't like to see it spelled with a j. But the reason B and V will never merge in English is that these sounds are very distinct. In Spanish the V is somewhere between the English B and V, but in English, you should be pronouncing these letters quite differently.

In Thailand now. Next up Tanzania and Philippines.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined15/9/2018LocationSkopje / MK
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

This is a bery interesting thread :D

Hmm...honestly...I don't think it will happen any time soon (or at all), but I never thought of this..

I guess letters "disappearing" over time is a thing that happens...hmm..

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined4/10/2018Location
Native
Chinese - Mandarin, English, Chinese - Cantonese
Other French, Indonesian, Russian, Thai, Vietnamese

Hmm... never really thought about it - not familiar enough with Spanish to weigh in. But I'm guessing these letters have a function, even if it's simply historical? Otherwise, we probably can get rid of stuff like Y in English, because it can be spelled "i" or "ie" like kids do these days? 

Posted 
    Feedback