Have you ever wondered why people say "You're Fired?"

Posts0Likes0Joined6/10/2018LocationLagos / NG
Native
English
Other French

I found this really interesting and thought to share...

You're fired..." This is most employees worst fear, and the roots can be traced to the early 1900s at National Cash Register. Legend has it founder John Patterson sent an employee out on a business call and when he was gone put his desk outside and set it on fire to signify that he no longer had a job when he returned.

Kevwe A.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined13/7/2018LocationPasig / PH
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, French, Spanish

Wow. That is a very definitive way to say "you don't work here no more."  

In my country, the phrase would be intimidating but it doesn't inspire as much fear. We're protected by law against instant termination on the spot. If the employer doesn't follow a process, the employee could complain to the Department of Labor and Employment. Then the employer would have to answer "how did you do everything in your power to keep the employee from being fired?" If that's not satisfactorily answered, or if due process wasn't followed by HR, then it would mean a ton of money for the fired employee. And her job back.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined9/10/2018LocationNairobi / KE
Native
English, Swahili
Learning Spanish

What a question! Lol I have never thought about it hahaha. I just know that the phrase sheds tons of fear to employees, but dont have the slightest idea where it came from.

I love my pets.
Posted 
Native
English
Other French

Phillip.Laplana wrote:

Wow. That is a very definitive way to say "you don't work here no more." :hushed:

In my country, the phrase would be intimidating but it doesn't inspire as much fear. We're protected by law against instant termination on the spot. If the employer doesn't follow a process, the employee could complain to the Department of Labor and Employment. Then the employer would have to answer "how did you do everything in your power to keep the employee from being fired?" If that's not satisfactorily answered, or if due process wasn't followed by HR, then it would mean a ton of money for the fired employee. And her job back.

Wow, that's interesting. Where I live,as long as you work for a private firm,you don't have job security,you can be fired as the employer please. But if you work for the government,there's a process to it.

Kevwe A.

Posted 
Native
English
Other French

Ckaranja wrote:

What a question! Lol I have never thought about it hahaha. I just know that the phrase sheds tons of fear to employees, but dont have the slightest idea where it came from.

Well now you do! You're welcome :wink:

Kevwe A.

Posted 
Posts230Likes123Joined16/9/2018Location
Native
Spanish
Other English, Italian

Very interesting! I have never thought about it. In Spanish you say estas despedido, it comes from the verb despedir which means to say goodbye.

-Ari-

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined9/10/2018LocationNairobi / KE
Native
English, Swahili
Learning Spanish

Oghenekevwe wrote:
Ckaranja wrote:

Well now you do! You're welcome :wink:

Sure I do, all thanks to you!

I love my pets.
Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined8/10/2018LocationManila / PH
Other English, Japanese, Korean

Oghenekevwe wrote:
I found this really interesting and thought to share...
You're fired..." This is most employees worst fear, and the roots can be traced to the early 1900s at National Cash Register. Legend has it founder John Patterson sent an employee out on a business call and when he was gone put his desk outside and set it on fire to signify that he no longer had a job when he returned.

And who would've thought there's a story behind this Thank you! That's interesting!

mismei

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined5/6/2018LocationLapu-lapu / PH
Native
Cebuano, Tagalog
Other English

I wish the employer or business owner could have use another set of words rather than using those words.:)

Charlyn Amoin

Posted 
Native
English
Other French

Charlyn wrote:

I wish the employer or business owner could have use another set of words rather than using those words.:)

Yeah me too but most of them don't care about your feelings.

Kevwe A.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined12/7/2018LocationPH
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, Spanish

The could use " you're outta here ". Like how the ise in baseball. :grin::grin::grin:

But intersting story though. 

Posted 
Native
English
Other French

Frederick.Dizon wrote:

The could use " you're outta here ". Like how the ise in baseball. :grin::grin::grin:

But intersting story though.

Or you could say "your services are no longer required"

Kevwe A.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined11/7/2018Location
Native
Tagalog
Other English, German, Spanish

Oh! So that's the history.

Posted 
    Feedback