What's your approach to language burnout?

Posts114Likes81Joined8/10/2018LocationPH
Native
English, Tagalog
Learning Japanese

Has it ever happened to you? What steps did you do to get out of the rut?

Personally, I have studied Japanese on and off for years. I've tried going to language academies, I have also tried popular alternatives like SRS and Pimsleur. 

The problem that I noticed when studying regardless of style, is the fact that I always focused too much on getting down X vocab/grammar/kanji in Y months. Having a timeline is fine and has worked for lots of people in school, but for me, I've come to realize that enjoyment should always be my first priority when learning something new. I've been using the same mindset in my MMA classes and I've seen steady progress there too. 

So now my way of studying is to just immerse myself in the language as much as I can. I use fun activities like reading manga and watching Japanese cooking shows. Do I still use SRS and grammar books? Yes, but I'm not as obsessed to it as before.. I used to cram 30 cards in a session but now it's been reduced to 5. Also, if I feel a little bit burned out I back off and get back at it after a couple of days.

I'd like to know how you guys cope with this too. Share away :)

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined3/9/2018LocationSkopje / MK
Native
Macedonian
Other Arabic - Gulf, English, French, Spanish, Serbian

Yeah, definitely continuing while you don't feel like it anymore is not beneficial whatsoever, purpose of life is enjoyment, not burning yourself out for the purpose of reaching someone else's goals. I love languages, but since they are not my priority, I take language learning as a hobby far in the back, so I don't even organise my studying that much, I just take it on when I feel like listening to other languages and changing the focus in my brain, as it does make a switch, and when I need it, I go for studying. Learning languages is so important for the mental capacities and broadening perspectives, as well as re-establishing new mental pathways and hence refreshing your whole aura :))) 

However, I didn't have the opportunity to choose when and how to study at the faculty of phylology, so it's important to incorporate diversity whenever we have to do something repeatedly. At least that is what I do/did. 

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined4/9/2018LocationCaracas / VE
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

I try to learn some words every day and expose to my target languages in a relaxed way, like listening to music or watching movies :)... I've taken an approach to my language learning so I can work and accomplish other things during the day and feel relaxed while I expose myself to other languages. I'm not taking classes (don't have the time to) but I've always wanted to. I've always fought to find the right moment to dedicate time to learn a language, but I think I'm finding my way.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined6/10/2018LocationLagos / NG
Native
English
Other French

The trick for me is not to take myself too seriously. Currently learning french but I'm taking it one day at a time. I set small goals each day and measure progress by my standard. I'm not putting myself under pressure of trying to get fluent at a set time. If I'm not thinking too hard about it, I find myself making progress faster.

Kevwe A.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined4/10/2018Location
Native
Chinese - Mandarin, English, Chinese - Cantonese
Other French, Indonesian, Russian, Thai, Vietnamese

I really applaud your systematic approach to language learning, and probably could learn a thing or two about setting goals, and trying to achieve them. 

I guess I never burned out because I never felt pressured to learn XYZ by certain timeframe, though I do get bored sometimes, and leave something, forgetting about it. 

It is tough to balance enjoyment with discipline, which at some levels, is needed, when learning some things that we might not always be fond of, but is crucial.

Posted 
Posts114Likes81Joined8/10/2018LocationPH
Native
English, Tagalog
Learning Japanese

meifeng wrote:
It is tough to balance enjoyment with discipline, which at some levels, is needed, when learning some things that we might not always be fond of, but is crucial.

Yes, it really is a tough. I think having frequent attainable goals is super important too so that we get to have small victories every so often. 

Edited 
Posts0Likes0Joined3/9/2018LocationLagos / NG
Native
English
Learning French

Don't be too hard on yourself, sometimes when I feel like this, I try to learn through a channel that I love, music..i don't get tired of listening to music so I download some Spanish songs and search for the lyrics and sing along, that way I learn almost everyday. 

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined6/10/2018LocationJonestown / US
Native
English
Learning Italian, Spanish

There are many ways to deal with language burnout. You just need to find the way that works for you to spark your interest again. For me, sometimes I just need a break or to slow down a bit. Sometimes I find it helpful to listen to music in the language I am learning or even putting on a movie I can quote by heart but switching the language is fun sometimes! There are different ways to spark my interest again it just all depends on the day and mood. 

Taylor Fabio

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined10/7/2018LocationBinan City / PH
Native
Tagalog
Other English

Language burnout is very true. Need to rekindle your interest once in a while in order to continue learning. 

Edzky-18

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined8/7/2018LocationAlmeria / ES
Native
English
Other Arabic - Egyptian, French, German, Spanish

Try to find ways to incorporate it into your day to day life instead of setting aside a specific time or place to sit and study. So it feels less of a chore

Edited 
Posts0Likes0Joined5/6/2018LocationLapu-lapu / PH
Native
Cebuano, Tagalog
Other English

I have to realize first what's the most interesting language for me to learn and try to master it. 

Charlyn Amoin

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined11/7/2018LocationManila / PH
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, Korean

I've tried learning French 3 times now. I didn't get burnt out but felt like my progress was too slow and mastery is going to take longer than planned so I stopped.

--

ikay

Posted 
    Feedback