What's your favorite foreign language book?

Posts0Likes0Joined13/7/2018LocationPasig / PH
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, French, Spanish

Le Petit Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry is such a pleasure to read in the original French.

You can find a copy of it online here.

http://gutenberg.net.au/ebooks03/0300771h.html

Gutenberg.org also has a wealth of other books in different languages. It's great for when you are really trying to immerse yourself in the language you love, and it can provide context for some of the things you've already learned.

www.gutenberg.org

Posted 
Posts114Likes81Joined8/10/2018LocationPH
Native
English, Tagalog
Learning Japanese

I study Japanese and I can't read the hard ones yet. But I tried reading some easy mangas like Doraemon. Doreamon is a cool cat and I am a big fan lol.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined4/10/2018Location
Native
Chinese - Mandarin, English, Chinese - Cantonese
Other French, Indonesian, Russian, Thai, Vietnamese

Mel.Palogan wrote:
I study Japanese and I can't read the hard ones yet. But I tried reading some easy mangas like Doraemon. Doreamon is a cool cat and I am a big fan lol.

*cough* Next stop, buy Japanese version of video games, and play it in Japanese. Nothing will hone your Japanese skills faster than trying not to die in a RPG game  

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined4/10/2018Location
Native
Chinese - Mandarin, English, Chinese - Cantonese
Other French, Indonesian, Russian, Thai, Vietnamese

In Indonesian, I like Pramoedya Ananta Toer's Bumi Manusia (This Earth of Mankind), part of the Buru Quartet, also available in English (I read them side-by-side when studying Indonesian). It's critique of colonialism, and also critique of the Suharto regime. 

In Chinese, I like Qiang Zhongshu's Fortress Besieged (围城),which is commentary on Chinese middle class society in the early 20th century. 

In Vietnamese, I like Vu Trong Phung's Dumb Luck (Số Đỏ), which is satire of the late French colonial period. 

@Phillip.Laplana recommended a great site - a lot of great classics available for free on Gutenberg's site! 

Posted 
Posts114Likes81Joined8/10/2018LocationPH
Native
English, Tagalog
Learning Japanese

Nice idea! Pokemon is probably a good start for that :)

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined11/7/2018LocationManila / PH
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, Korean

I would love to read Rizal's Noli Me Tangere in Spanish. 

--

ikay

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined13/7/2018LocationPasig / PH
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, French, Spanish

ikaymoreno wrote:
I would love to read Rizal's Noli Me Tangere in Spanish.

Gutenberg has that too! http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/47584

I used to know a kid in grade school who memorized his Mi Ultimo Pensamiento, word for word, even though the guy didn't know a word of Spanish. Pretty impressive.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy this copy! 

Posted 
    Feedback