Mountain Climbing Experience

Posts0Likes0Joined7/10/2018LocationNairobi / KE
Native
English, Swahili
Other German

I love being out door most of my weekends as much as i can. A few months ago, i went on a hiking and mountain climbing the second largest mountain in Africa, Mt.Kenya. The experience was thrilling, great, tiresome and even life threatening. Covered 82 kms and went from 1700 altitude to 4950 altitude high in 5 days. Temperatures ranging from -2 degrees - 5 degrees. sometime a bit sunny for a few hours

High altitude sickness almost cost me, lack of oxygen is real and the experience is one of a life time. Mt Kenya area is covered forest, bare land , large rocks and home to Elephants, Buffaloes, antelopes and many more animals.

I would stay in a cabin in a middle of a forest anytime :)  

Edited 
Posts0Likes0Joined12/7/2018LocationPH
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, Spanish

Nice. I like to experience doing this but I am afraid I wont make it to the top. :grin::grin::grinning:

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined8/7/2018LocationAlmeria / ES
Native
English
Other Arabic - Egyptian, French, German, Spanish

Amazing x I am not fit enough for this we walk a lit we are about 850 up and the range we are on nearby is only around 14/15000

Posted 
Native
English, Swahili
Other German

Frederick.Dizon wrote:
Nice. I like to experience doing this but I am afraid I wont make it to the top. :grin::grin::grinning:

Summiting is the most challenging i must say. That is like on the forth day and you are tired and the altitude is getting and higher. Once you are on top, it is worth it :)

You have to be mentally prepared

Posted 
Native
English, Swahili
Other German

Jade.Xuereb wrote:
Amazing x I am not fit enough for this we walk a lit we are about 850 up and the range we are on nearby is only around 14/15000

For mountain climbing is more of mental and physical preparation. But you can do it :)

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined8/10/2018LocationManila / PH
Other English, Japanese, Korean

Cool!!! I also used to climb mountains. The highest I've been to was Mt.Pulag in the Philippines at 2922 MASL, we took the Akiki Trail and it took us 2 days to the summit! There were three trails but it's the hardest one. It also has the most beautiful and diverse view while hiking. It was really cold at the top. I can't imagine how cold would that be in Mt. Kenya considering the snow and the altitude. Good job!!!

mismei

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined11/7/2018Location
Native
Tagalog
Other English, German, Spanish

The view is breathtaking! This makes me want to climb a frozen mountain! haha

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined11/7/2018Location
Native
Tagalog
Other English, German, Spanish

This is me and my daughter when we climb Tarak Ridge here in the Philippines on her birthday. It took us 11 hours, it hurts so good the next morning.  

Edited 
Posts1630Likes1092Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

Jackiya01 wrote:
i went on a hiking and mountain climbing the second largest mountain in Africa, Mt.Kenya.

I looked down on Mt Kenya from the top of Kilimanjaro:

In Thailand now. Next up Tanzania and Philippines.

Edited 
Posts0Likes0Joined17/9/2018Locationcavite / PH
Native
Tagalog
Other English, Spanish, Urdu

Nice pic leo, maybe 10 years back old? hehehehe....how I wish I can travel also...

nursalyn

Posted 
Native
English, Swahili
Other German

leosmith wrote:
Jackiya01 wrote:
i went on a hiking and mountain climbing the second largest mountain in Africa, Mt.Kenya.

I looked down on Mt Kenya from the top if Kilimanjaro:

Awesome :)

Hopefully my next would be Mt climbing in Kilimanjaro.

Edited 
Native
English, Swahili
Other German

Aileen.Cortes wrote:

This is me and my daughter when we climb Tarak Ridge here in the Philippines on her birthday. It took us 11 hours, it hurts so good the next morning. :joy:

Awwww so lovely that you take care with you on adventures like this.

Posted 

Aileen.Cortes wrote:

This is me and my daughter when we climb Tarak Ridge here in the Philippines on her birthday. It took us 11 hours, it hurts so good the next morning. :joy:

Niceee!! I also wanted to go there but I never had the chance

mismei

Posted 
Posts230Likes123Joined16/9/2018Location
Native
Spanish
Other English, Italian

Wow you guys are awesome! I have never nothing this adventurous. Just wow...

-Ari-

Posted 
Native
Tagalog

yeah Ari awesome! we should try this very exciting,,,,,,mismei we should plan for adventurous even not there even our country that whould be nice... 

nursalyn

Posted 
Posts1630Likes1092Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

Nursalyn wrote:
Nice pic leo, maybe 10 years back old?

18 years ago

In Thailand now. Next up Tanzania and Philippines.

Posted 

Nursalyn wrote:
yeah Ari awesome! we should try this very exciting,,,,,,mismei we should plan for adventurous even not there even our country that whould be nice...:smiley:

Yesssss!! Just the easy fun climbs lol. I'm now retired for difficult major climbs as I now easily get tired after 10 steps while hiking. Oh, I'm getting old  

mismei

Posted 
Native
Tagalog

Same here mismei....heheheh  

nursalyn

Posted 
    Feedback