Efficiency

Posts0Likes0Joined6/10/2018LocationJonestown / US
Native
English
Learning Italian, Spanish

What are some ways you learn languages that are efficient? 

I like to relax in comfy clothes on my couch. It helps me to be able to concentrate. This is because I am not so distracted by being uncomfortable and am able to better focus. The more comfy I am, the better I learn. 

Taylor Fabio

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined11/7/2018LocationManila / PH
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, Korean

If it's efficiency, I guess learning languages you're exposed to on a regular basis. Like if you enjoy anime and are learning Japanese, that's efficient since you're learning while enjoying what you're watching. 

--

ikay

Posted 
Posts114Likes81Joined8/10/2018LocationPH
Native
English, Tagalog
Learning Japanese

I like listening to short clips of videos that are at my current level. It's a great way of improving your listening skills at a native level speed and also give a good idea on what good phrases to add to your word bank.

Posted 
Posts1630Likes1092Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

I think using a balanced approach, one that hits all 7 facets of language learning, is a good way to make it efficient.

In Thailand now. Next up Tanzania and Philippines.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined6/10/2018LocationIrpin / UA
Native
Russian, Ukrainian
Other Dutch, English, German, Italian, Polish, Spanish

Watching movies/series has helped me a lot. On the one hand, your ear gets used to the real spoken language, and you train your listening skills. You are also able to extend your vocabulary, and observe how the natives actually speak. On the other hand, it is not too difficult and you can relax at the same time. Especially if these are the series for teenagers :) Those are extremely easy to grasp, but they are amazing for a start. For example, "Türkisch für Anfänger" in German, and "Muneca brava" in Spanish.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined8/7/2018LocationAlmeria / ES
Native
English
Other Arabic - Egyptian, French, German, Spanish

Listening to the countries music is a great way to learn passively also find songs you like then you can actively look at the words and learn the meaning the new vocabulary sticks in your head because songs naturally stick in your mind 

Posted 
Native
English

All of these are ways of learning I really never thought of. From movies, to music, to trying to hit all ways of learning. These all sound efficient and I may try to expand the ways I learn by using these thoughtful ideas. 

Taylor Fabio

Posted 
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, Korean

You can also try using putting post its/labels on things around your house written in the language you're trying to learn. :) 

--

ikay

Posted 
Native
English

I actually really love that idea. It gives me an excuse to buy colorful post-its! That is a very good way to learn a language because it is literally posted on every day things. 

Taylor Fabio

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined11/7/2018Location
Native
Tagalog
Other English, German, Spanish

Nice tips from this thread!

Posted 
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, Korean

TaylorFabio wrote:

I actually really love that idea. It gives me an excuse to buy colorful post-its! That is a very good way to learn a language because it is literally posted on every day things.

I'm glad you like it! It actually helps you practice too because you start referring to them using the language you're trying to learn. :)

--

ikay

Posted 
Native
English

Talk out loud to yourself when you are cooking or cleaning in the language you might not be corrects but you will get faster at trying to form your own sentences

Posted 
Native
English

You know what, that sounds great. Oddly, I catch myself talking to myself out loud anyway so then it will not be as weird if I am practicing a new language! :)

Taylor Fabio

Posted 
Native
English

Me too , I have adapted to trying it in spanish you can look up things you stumbled on but it does get you thinking in a second language it can be as simple as first I am going to do this then I need to do that etc 

Posted 
    Feedback