Posts0Likes0Joined6/10/2018LocationJonestown / US
Native
English
Learning Italian, Spanish

Hello, my name is Taylor and I have recently discovered this site. I am interested in learning mostly Italian and Spanish. I am Italian and want to learn the language and Spanish is so commonly spoken where I live that I would like to be able to understand as well as communicate with others. Any suggestions on how to go about learning these languages? Thanks for reading.

Taylor

Taylor Fabio

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined22/9/2018LocationLagos / NG
Native
English
Other French

Welcome Taylor. Have fun learning languages and sharing knowledge and opinions!!

If I was to choose being an animal, I will like to be an Eagle.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined4/9/2018LocationCaracas / VE
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

Welcome to the forum! I'm a native Spanish speaker and I'm learning Italian. They are similar languages since both are romance languages, so it should be easier for you to understand one of the languages once you have a good base in one of them. They share a lot of words, however I must warn you that they have words that are written and pronounced the same but have a different meaning, like "burro" ("butter" in Italian and "donkey" in Spanish). I noted that you are a native English speaker, I would recommend that you get used to gender nouns and articles (English is neutral, Spanish and Italian have feminine and masculine, you may know this already). Always try to learn a noun with its article :).

Posted 
Posts1630Likes1092Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

Welcome to LT!

In Thailand now. Next up Tanzania and Philippines.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined4/10/2018Location
Native
Chinese - Mandarin, English, Chinese - Cantonese
Other French, Indonesian, Russian, Thai, Vietnamese

Welcome, Taylor! Moons ago, when I tried learning Italian, I signed up with the Italian Cultural Institute in Singapore. They offer scholarships, too, to people who are interested in learning Italian. You could check if they have one near you. 

Edited 
Posts0Likes0Joined10/7/2018LocationTrece Martires City / PH
Native
Tagalog
Other English

enjoy your stay here Taylor :blush:

do the right thing even when nobody is watching

Posted 
Native
English

Thank you. Still unsure of exactly how to use this site to learn a language but I am going to keep exploring. 

Taylor Fabio

Posted 
Native
English

meifeng wrote:
Welcome, Taylor! Moons ago, when I tried learning Italian, I signed up with the Italian Cultural Institute in Singapore. They offer scholarships, too, to people who are interested in learning Italian. You could check if they have one near you.

Do you have to pay for it? I am just confused as I thought this site was free. 

Taylor Fabio

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined4/10/2018Location
Native
Chinese - Mandarin, English, Chinese - Cantonese
Other French, Indonesian, Russian, Thai, Vietnamese

I believe this site is free. But if you want to set up lessons with language teachers here, they do have an hourly rate. I don't recall seeing an Italian teacher, though.

Posted 
Posts1630Likes1092Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

TaylorFabio wrote:
Thank you. Still unsure of exactly how to use this site to learn a language but I am going to keep exploring.

You might check out the reading tool. It's free. 

In Thailand now. Next up Tanzania and Philippines.

Posted 
Native
English

Okay great. I will check it out. Thank you.

Taylor Fabio

Posted 
    Feedback