Syntax vs semantics?

Syntax vs Semantics which one is most important?

100%

0%

This poll will run forever.

Posts0Likes0Joined5/9/2018Locationlahore / PK

Syntax vs Semantics which one is most important and should be learnt first in your veiws?

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined3/9/2018LocationSkopje / MK
Native
Macedonian
Other Arabic - Gulf, English, French, Spanish, Serbian

I sometimes see it as quality Vs quantity, it depends on what attracts you most, want you want to focus on and improve. Syntax refers to the grammatical structure and validity, while semantics is concerned with the meaning of the symbols, words etc. So if you want to enrich your vocabulary, you look for synonyms/antonyms, but consequently, I have especially noticed in the English language, since it has such a rich vocabulary (correct me if I'm wrong), the context of the sentence/message matters so much, that you can't avoid semantics even if you wanted to. Because it does give a totally different advanced flavor to the message, when you focus on the semantics. So really it's about how your brain functions and how analytical it is. If it is more analytical/mathematical in a way, go with syntax, if it is more artistic, go with semantics. And the moment you get satisfied, the moment you feel happy with how satisfied your brain is :)) go to the other chapter, the other side, and you will confirm how fun that can be too. 

Both are important to me if you want to acquire a good knowledge of the language, but your personal preferences are another thing. Quality Vs quantity, that's how I see it. I myself can't divide it, because I've seen how good both go together, so as I said both are important to me. But if you struggle, just go with what attracts you most. 

That's what I would say :) 

:pray:

Edited 
Posts0Likes0Joined5/9/2018Locationlahore / PK

yes you are very right and i do believe the same. both of them are equally important but i think syntax is one step ahead from semantics because words are meaningless unless they are correctly used. One must be well aware of different rules of grammar so that right form of verb is used and intended message is conveyed. What if i wanted to refer to past and could not use the right form of the verb so they both go hand to hand and yes one cant express his thoughts until equipped by strong diction. So i will prioritize syntax over semantics as a first stage to language learning. :)

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined3/9/2018LocationSkopje / MK
Native
Macedonian
Other Arabic - Gulf, English, French, Spanish, Serbian

Yeah! Very good point, agree totally 

Posted 
    Feedback