trivia anyone?

Posts0Likes0Joined4/9/2018LocationOrlando / US
Native
Cebuano, English, Tagalog
Learning Spanish

In the 1980s, Pablo Escobar's Medellin Cartel was spending $2,500 a month on rubber bands just to hold all their cash. :scream:

Sheena

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined15/9/2018LocationSkopje / MK
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

Phillip.Laplana wrote:
Dollar bills are not made of paper. They're made out of a special blend of cotton and linen.

This reminds me of a thing I learned cause of the first Jack Reacher novel (anyone a fan of those books on this forum?) 

The US money (I mean all non-coins obviously) are all the same size no matter their worth.

So the dimensions of the 1 dollar bill are the exact same as the 100USD for example.

Not sure if this is the only country in the world where this is true or not, but I know in most of the countries the lowest money bill is smaller than the ones with bigger worth 

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined4/9/2018LocationCaracas / VE
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

dragonsky wrote:

Phillip.Laplana wrote:

Dollar bills are not made of paper. They're made out of a special blend of cotton and linen.

This reminds me of a thing I learned cause of the first Jack Reacher novel (anyone a fan of those books on this forum?)

The US money (I mean all non-coins obviously) are all the same size no matter their worth.

So the dimensions of the 1 dollar bill are the exact same as the 100USD for example.

Not sure if this is the only country in the world where this is true or not, but I know in most of the countries the lowest money bill is smaller than the ones with bigger worth

In my country the bills are the same size no matter their value too :o

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined17/9/2018LocationCavite / PH
Native
Cebuano, Tagalog
Learning Chinese - Mandarin, German

* Do you know that only Vatican and the Philippines. Has no divorce law

Posted 
Native
Learning Spanish

Doreen.Paurnia wrote:

* Do you know that only Vatican and the Philippines. Has no divorce law

That's true they dont recognize it, because marriage is holy. That's why it's hard to teach sex education in the Philippines as well, which I thought is important.

Sheena

Posted 
Posts1630Likes1092Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

dragonsky wrote:

Yes - I love them but they are extremely formulaic, especially after you've read over 10 of them.  

In Thailand now. Next up Tanzania and Philippines.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined13/7/2018LocationPasig / PH
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, French, Spanish
  • Benjamin Franklin liked to re-write the lyrics to famous songs to turn them into drinking songs.
  • When you kiss someone, their DNA will remain in your mouth for at least an hour.
  • High atmospheric pressure makes the bubbles in your coffee float to the middle. When that happens, expect rain or stormy weather.
Posted 
Native
Tagalog

Gangnam Style nearly broke YouTube.

"We never thought a video would be watched in numbers greater than a 32-bit integer (=2,147,483,647 views), but that was before we met PSY. "Gangnam Style" has been viewed so many times we had to upgrade to a 64-bit integer (9,223,372,036,854,775,808)!" --YouTube

Many computers or software programs measure time by counting the number of seconds that have passed, starting from January, 1970. In 2038, these computers and programs will reach a "numerical overflow" problem. They won't be able to count any higher than 2,147,483,647 kind of like running out of fingers to count with.

Posted 
Native
Learning Spanish

[quote name="Phillip.Laplana"]

Gangnam Style nearly broke Youtube

Lol hate to admit but I love that song!

Sheena

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined3/9/2018LocationBuenos Aires / AR
Native
English, Spanish

that´s very interesting... do you think they will come up with a solution?

Posted 
Native
Tagalog

GonzaloA wrote:
that´s very interesting... do you think they will come up with a solution?

The solution to the numeric overflow was to upgrade the system or software to use 64-bit algorithms instead of 32-bit. That increased the ceiling from 2 billion to 9 quintillion. There may still be old software out there somewhere that still uses 32-bit though. :P

Posted 
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

Lego holds the record for "largest tire manufacturer per annum" of the Guinness World Records, by 2011 they produced 318 million tires and Bridgestone 190 million tires... :o

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined3/9/2018LocationBuenos Aires / AR
Native
English, Spanish

thanks for the explanation

Posted 
Native
Tagalog
  • In 2006, British scientists accidentally discovered the world's oldest living animal, a Ming clam. After they caught the live clam, they were shocked to learn that it was 507 years old, at least until the very moment that they opened it for study. Oops.
  • The SRB (solid rocket booster) of a Space Shuttle is just wide enough to fit on railroad tracks.The exact standard distance between railroad rails in the US is 4 feet, 8.5 inches, which is the exact distance used by the Brits who built the first US railroads, which is the exact distance between old British wagon wheels, which is the exact distance between the wheel ruts in old wagon roads built by ancient Romans, which is the exact distance between ancient Roman chariot wheels, which is the exact width of two warhorses' butts side by side. THEREFORE, a major design feature of mankind's most technologically advanced transportation vehicle was determined two thousand years ago by a horse's ass.
  • It took ten years and 100 billion dollars for the US government to send a man to the moon. It took ten years and 100 billion dollars for the US government to find and kill Osama Bin Laden.
  • The international dialing code (or country code) for Russia is 007.
Posted 
Native
Tagalog
  • The New Mexico Whiptail Lizard is a species of lizard with NO MALES. They are all females. The lizard can lay eggs without needing to be impregnated by a male. This means each offspring is a genetic clone of its mother, but it will never, ever, ever need a male to reproduce ever again. Ever. So this species doesn't even have them anymore.
Posted 
Native
Learning Spanish

A baby can cost new parents 750 hours of sleep in the first year. - My life now :sweat::joy:

Sheena

Posted 
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

Celery has negative calories! It takes more calories to eat a piece of celery than the celery has in it to begin with. It’s the same with apples!

Posted 
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

This freaked me out when I was a child: The toothpaste “Colgate” in Spanish translates to “go hang yourself”

Edited 
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

Sheena wrote:

A baby can cost new parents 750 hours of sleep in the first year. - My life now :sweat::joy:

That's a lot! 2-3 hours per day x.x

Posted 
Native
Tagalog

Jess.PWinkler wrote:
This freaked me out when I was a child: The toothpaste “Colgate” in Spanish translates to “go hang yourself”

I can see how that might be discouraging to kids... o.o

Posted 
    Feedback