Why are you learning?

Posts0Likes0Joined3/9/2018LocationUS
Native
English
Other German, Spanish, Swedish

I was thinking about what it is that makes me want to learn a new language, and although I love to learn my biggest why is because I feel connected. My family came from Germany and Spanish is something I am learning because where I live being able to understand some will better my life. 

So whats your why?

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined4/7/2018LocationPhiladelphia / US
Native
English
Learning Japanese

I have different reasons for each language.

Japanese: I lived in Japan for two years and just totally fell in love with everything about the language. I even love kanji.

Esperanto: I really love the Esperanto community

Spanish: I live in a city where Spanish is spoken by about ten percent of the population

My city is very diverse, and sometimes I feel like I want to start learning Russian, Korean, and Chinese so I can read storefronts that have signs in those languages. I also live near a school for the deaf which makes me want to learn ASL lol. I guess we'll see what happens if I ever get Japanese and Spanish up to my level in Esperanto.

Posted 
Native
English

As a military spouse I run into so many different languages and cultures, I want want to be able to communicate and understand as much as I can. 

Posted 
Posts1630Likes1092Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

English - native

Spanish - I spent 2 years in Ecuador as a child, and later married a Panamanian woman

Swahili - I lived in Tanzania for 3 years

Thai - I traveled there and fell in love with the country

Japanese - My company had Japanese partners

Mandarin - A close friend invited me to his wedding in China

French - My grandmother was French Canadian

Russian - Lots of pretty Russian tourists in Thailand can't speak English or Thai

Korean - Everyone said it was harder than Japanese and Mandarin; it wasn't

Tagalog - I traveled there and fell in love with the country

In Thailand now. Next up Tanzania and Philippines.

Posted 
Native
English

That is amazing! You seem to have traveled a lot I hope one day to travel more.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined3/9/2018LocationLagos / NG
Native
English
Learning French

I’m actually learning because i have always loved how french sounded. I want to be able to understand and identify even when its written. I also want to one day travel to a Paris and communicate properly.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined3/9/2018LocationLagos / NG
Native
English
Learning French

You have really travelled alot. Its really nice. So korean is not as difficult as people think it is?

Posted 
    Feedback