Are you still reading books nowadays? How often?

Posts0Likes0Joined10/7/2018LocationBinan City / PH
Native
Tagalog
Other English

A book lover here since my childhood days. I remembered visiting different libraries just to read books when I was in high school and college. I even have earned units in Bachelor of Science in Library Science after I graduated in college because of that passion. 

But due to the presence of the net and other gadgets i can't remember when was the last time i sat down on a chair and read a book from page one till the end. My being married and having two cute babies is also a factor.

How about you, when is the last time you read a book? ...and if ever i could find time to read, what book (fiction only) would you suggest?

Edzky-18

Edited 
Posts1630Likes1092Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

I converted to kindle a couple years ago, so 2 years unless you count textbooks. I suggest this book

In Thailand now. Next up Tanzania and Philippines.

Posted 
Native
Tagalog
Other English

leosmith wrote:

I converted to kindle a couple years ago, so 2 years unless you count textbooks. I suggest this book.

Thanks! :)

Edzky-18

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined8/7/2018Location
Native
English
Learning Spanish
Other French, German

I converted to kindle a few years back, you can get e-readers apps on your phone now too. But I read sci-fi and fantasy mainly, I would reccomend Terry Pratchett as they're pretty mainstream fantasy or Tom Holt for a bit more surreal writing.

Posted 
Native
Tagalog
Other English

Greg.Jones wrote:

I converted to kindle a few years back, you can get e-readers apps on your phone now too. But I read sci-fi and fantasy mainly, I

would reccomend Terry Pratchett as they're pretty mainstream fantasy or Tom Holt for a bit more surreal writing.

Thanks... will try to check that this weekend. :)

Edzky-18

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined9/7/2018LocationUS
Native
English
Learning Spanish
Other French

I forced myself into the habit of reading at least 20 minutes a day. I usually ready before 6am to get it out of the way. I read non fiction books.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined11/7/2018LocationManila / PH
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, Korean

Eden.Conde wrote:
A book lover here since my childhood days. I remembered visiting different libraries just to read books when I was in high school and college. I even have earned units in Bachelor of Science in Library Science after I graduated in college because of that passion.
But due to the presence of the net and other gadgets i can't remember when was the last time i sat down on a chair and read a book from page one till the end. My being married and having two cute babies is also a factor.
How about you, when is the last time you read a book? ...and if ever i could find time to read, what book (fiction only) would you suggest?

Our house is filled with books because both my husband and I are avid readers. :) Here are my recommendations for each genre.

Murder books - Lawrence Sanders. James Patterson's books are more popular but I prefer Lawrence Sanders' because his books focus on the "why" instead of the "how". You might want to start with his Deadly Sins series of the Commandments series.

Fantasy Romance - This is my guilty pleasure. My husband once browsed through some of my books from this genre and said "Hmmm, this trash is entertaining." Hahahahaha! I highly recommend Richelle Mead. She writes romance and young adult novels but her characters are fully fleshed out. Start with her Georgina Kincaid Series. Or Dark Swan. :)

Fantasy/Magical books - I love Garth Nix's Abhorsen series and Keys to the Kingdom. Also a big fan of GRRM's ASOIAF but that may be too....big to start with.

Self-help books - Road Less Travelled by M Scott Peck. I loved a Girl and My Beautiful Feeling by Walter Trobisch.

Cry your eye out - A child called it

Never sleep again - Anything written by Poppy Z Brite

--

ikay

Edited 
Native
Tagalog
Other English

Wow! Thanks IkayMoreno for the suggestions!

The authors Patterson, Sanders and Mead are familiar. I think I have already read some of their works. I like stories about espionage. I have read the series of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes even before it was put into a movie.:)

Edzky-18

Posted 
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, Korean

Spy books...maybe Len Deighton? My mom liked his stuff and she loves spy stuff. I liked Hunt for Red October by Tom Clancy but that's the only book I've read from him. Eric van Lustbader is also worth checking out. :)

--

ikay

Edited 
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, Korean

Also, if you liked Doyle, you'd probably enjoy Agatha Christie. :) And Loves Music, Loves to Dance by.Mary Higgins Clark.

--

ikay

Posted 
Native
Tagalog
Other English

ikaymoreno wrote:

Spy books...maybe Len Deighton? My mom liked his stuff and she loves spy stuff. I liked Hunt for Red October by Tom Clancy but

that's the only book I've read from him. Eric van Lustbader is also worth checking out. :)

I think I have seen the movie version of that book "Hunt for red october". It's about a sunken ship, if I'm not mistaken.

Edzky-18

Posted 
Native
Tagalog
Other English

I've checked the net, I really have seen that one...hehe..though my memory failed me, Red October is a submarine manned by a defector.

Edzky-18

Posted 
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, Korean

Submarine. :) The movie was all right but the book was just fantastic. :)

--

ikay

Posted 
Native
English
Learning Spanish
Other French, German

I hate to suggest him as I think his writing is sometimes awful, but Stephen King has hundreds of stories published, you're bound to find a few you think are good.

Some of his better ones have been turned into films too; for example the Shawshank redemption, and stand by me are based on his short stories, and It is both a film and a TV series now

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined12/7/2018LocationPH
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, Spanish

I envy the people who loves to read books. The only books I have read, were the ones required when I was in college. 

Posted 
Native
Tagalog
Other English

Greg.Jones wrote:

I hate to suggest him as I think his writing is sometimes awful, but Stephen King has hundreds of stories published, you're bound

to find a few you think are good.

Some of his better ones have been turned into films too; for example the Shawshank redemption, and stand by me are based on his short stories, and It is both a film and a TV series now

I have only seen his work turned into movie entitled "Children of the Corn"...and i agree with you, Iam also not into his writings.:) Happened to browse on some of his writings too. 

Edzky-18

Edited 
Native
Tagalog
Other English

Frederick.Dizon wrote:

I envy the people who loves to read books. The only books I have read, were the ones required when I was in college.

Maybe it just so happened that my mom bought me books instead of toys when I was young. :)...and because I'm the youngest, I was usually left alone in the house while my siblings went to school. Since we don't have television then, my attention and interest were diverted to books. 

Edzky-18

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined12/7/2018LocationPH
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, Spanish

edz.conde wrote:

Maybe it just so happened that my mom bought me books instead of toys when I was young. :)...and because I'm the youngest, I was usually left alone in the house while my siblings went to school. Since we don't have television then, my attention and interest were diverted to books.

In my case, TV was my besfriend when I was growing up. :)

Posted 
Native
English
Learning Spanish
Other French, German

My mum was a librarian. 'Nuff said

Posted 
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, Korean

Greg.Jones wrote:
I hate to suggest him as I think his writing is sometimes awful, but Stephen King has hundreds of stories published, you're bound to find a few you think are good.

I loved Nightmares and Dreamscapes. :) My husband has a bunch of his books but I can't finish one. Something always comes up and I end up having to start over again, or just decide to check out a different one.

--

ikay

Posted 
    Feedback