How to say “I don’t know”

Posts0Likes0Joined8/7/2018LocationKarachi / PK
Native
Urdu
Learning Arabic - Standard, English, Japanese, Pashto, Chinese - other

(Note - This article was published on the Provide Support Blog)

How to say “I don’t know”

If you don’t know the answer to the customer’s or Client's question, be frank about it, however, avoid using the too straightforward “I don’t know”. Here’s how you can play it out nice:

“That is a good question, let me find out for you.”

“I’m not sure, but let me find out for you.”

“I’m sorry, I don’t have the information on that. May I put you on hold for a few minutes? I will clarify this with our manager.”

“I’m sorry, I don’t have the information on that. May I have your email/phone number? I will find this out with our accounting department and get back to you shortly.”

“I’m sorry, this question would be out of my expertise, but Daniel from the tech support department will be able to help you. Would you like me to connect you with him?”

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined8/7/2018LocationAlmeria / ES
Native
English
Other Arabic - Egyptian, French, German, Spanish

Those. Are some useful alternatives for the work environment. Here are a few for informal use with friends;

No idea, mate.

I haven't got the foggiest.

Not a clue! 

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined10/7/2018Location

Great examples. I work in a call center and use variations of those phrases every day! Never just say "I don't know". It's the equivalent of shrugging your shoulders and walking away!

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined13/7/2018LocationCA
Native
French, Spanish
Other English, Italian, Portuguese

first one works all the time, its simply perfect and works with anything. of course you're not always thinking it's a good question but hey they don't know (ive worked in a call center several years)

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined11/7/2018Location
Native
Tagalog
Other English, German, Spanish

Love this :D

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined10/7/2018LocationTrece Martires City / PH
Native
Tagalog
Other English

Thanks for this =)