Reading Tool to become a pay tool for members that join after June 1, 2020

Posts1630Likes1092Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

Hello everyone, this is an important announcement so please read. People who join Language Tools on or after June 1, 2020 will have to pay $5/month for a premium membership to use the Reading Tool in its fullest capacity. Current members, and those who join before June 1, will be free premium members for life. So please tell your friends, especially those who have been considering joining, that this is the best time.

Free members who join after June 1 and use the Reading Tool will still be able to read the text, listen to the audio and get click definitions, but won’t be able to download transcripts, import/export vocabulary, edit passages etc. For a full comparison please see the pricing page.

Not only is the reading tool extremely convenient for reading any article you want to upload, but we also have lots of material in the library, and it grows daily. Non-members can now browse the library without having to join: https://languagetools.io/reading

Thanks for being part of Language Tools!

Leo

In Thailand now. Next up Tanzania and Philippines.

Edited 
Do you want to crush your language goals? Sign up here.
Posts0Likes0Joined18/6/2019LocationSan Jose Del Monte / PH
Native
English
Learning Afrikaans, Cebuano, Chinese - Mandarin, Danish, Indonesian, Malay, Norwegian, Spanish, Tagalog
Not only is the reading tool extremely convenient for reading any article you want to upload, but we also have lots of material in the library, and it grows daily. Non-members can now browse the library without having to join: https://languagetools.io/reading

I support all of these changes. The account wall made a lot of potential users angry on reddit and discord, and the 5 USD fee is still a fraction of many language apps! Thanks for growing the library! I hope in the future we get added mobile support! Great work Leo.

Find me on Discord:

https://discord.gg/R4zepcA

Posted 
Posts55Likes44Joined26/12/2019LocationBE
Native
French
Learning Chinese - Mandarin, Dutch, English, German, Japanese, Spanish

I don't use the paid functions but thank you for the free account. 

My thoughts.

People should be able to test the system for free.

An option to freeze payment and account would be great (once a year or for the number of months you paid in the last 12 months).

I don't like the idea to pay forever. Maybe an option to purchase an unlimited account after 50 paid months or something.

Good luck.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined2/5/2020LocationUS
Native
English
Learning German, Norwegian, Spanish

First things first, I'm new to the site. I was confused by the announcement, because it seems that all you need to do is create your account before June 1st, 2020? Is this what is intended by:

So please tell your friends, especially those who have been considering joining, that this is the best time.

Is there more nuance other than creating an account (I guess people just use the tools anonymously?) ?

Posted 
Posts1630Likes1092Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

CA wrote:
First things first, I'm new to the site. I was confused by the announcement, because it seems that all you need to do is create your account before June 1st, 2020?

Welcome CA! Yes, that's all you needed to do - you are free lifetime premium user of the reading tool now. (edit - I added the word "premium" to the first post to clarify)

In Thailand now. Next up Tanzania and Philippines.

Edited 
Want to learn more? See the other blog posts
    Feedback