Writing habit for improving a language

Posts0Likes0Joined17/9/2019LocationMexico City / MX
Native
Spanish
Learning English, German

So I was hearing my usual German podcast and I came across a very useful tip.

"If you are learning a language, write at least 100 words in said language a day. Then have someone correct it."

Things they mentioned it was great for, and that I also thought about:

-->It's a very easy task doable in like 10 min, so it's a habit that you can commit to easily.

-->Writing every day and correcting your text will give you great awareness of your mistakes and will help you improve a lot. Consistency > quantity

-->It is also not a huge commitment for anyone who is correcting and you can do it for free. It is fun and helpful to interact with a native speaker or a teacher in this kind of "active language ability", you will learn a lot of things.

-->Writing is great! It helps you reflect on many things and also yourself.

What I also find cool about this is that we have here a very handy tool for essay correction that beats that exact purpose. I am very active in the blog and can always help you correct your texts in Spanish :)

Language shapes our view of the world.

Posted 
Posts1630Likes1092Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

I agree it's a good idea to practice all skills in a language. Writing is probably the most neglected, but it certainly helps.

In Thailand now. Next up Tanzania and Philippines.

Posted 
Native
Spanish
Learning English, German

I agree. I think it does help a lot because you have to think and construct things yourself, instead of just complying with a "passive" role, when listening for example. When I listen to someone talk I know I don't notice, but my brain is filling in the gaps of unknown words with context. You can't do that when writing. It's great and should indeed be less neglected. 

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined26/9/2019LocationKR
Native
Korean

It is such a great idea to practice new language through writing.

Especially, it is very important that there should be someone who helps you to fix your grammar and mistakes, otherwise, you're learning it incorrectly.

However, in these days, it is hard to make a friend from another country. For this reason, I think this Languagetool is good for us to learn new languages! :)

Posted 
Native
Spanish
Learning English, German

An update to this topic. Not really relevant to the forum, but I just got back my German test with a 5/5 writing score. I have been working a lot on it and I am very happy it paid off. If anyone is feeling lazy, take it as a reminder that practice does work :)

Posted 
Posts1630Likes1092Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

ZairaI.Uranga wrote:
I just got back my German test with a 5/5 writing score

Congratulations! 

In Thailand now. Next up Tanzania and Philippines.

Posted 
Native
Spanish
Learning English, German

leosmith wrote:
ZairaI.Uranga wrote:
I just got back my German test with a 5/5 writing score

Congratulations!

Thanks! :)

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined19/9/2019LocationSão Paulo / BR
Native
Portuguese
Learning English, French, Italian, Spanish

ZairaI.Uranga wrote:
I agree. I think it does help a lot because you have to think and construct things yourself, instead of just complying with a "passive" role, when listening for example. When I listen to someone talk I know I don't notice, but my brain is filling in the gaps of unknown words with context. You can't do that when writing. It's great and should indeed be less neglected.
That's it! The "passive role" you've mentioned is the most difficult one to overcome, because you get frustrated. If only people were patient with themselves and insisted on writing until it becomes "natural"! Because it gets better and better indeed, and what you learn from a written mistake belongs to you forever, it's consolidated. I guess I'll copy and paste this comment of yours and send to my students!

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined19/9/2019LocationSão Paulo / BR
Native
Portuguese
Learning English, French, Italian, Spanish

ZairaI.Uranga wrote:
An update to this topic. Not really relevant to the forum, but I just got back my German test with a 5/5 writing score. I have been working a lot on it and I am very happy it paid off. If anyone is feeling lazy, take it as a reminder that practice does work :)
Congrats! Communication is always relevant! Through this comment, for example, I've remembered an expression I was trying to use yesterday but couldn't find: pay off. "It worths it" keeps coming to my mind, but I've already learned somewhere in this forun that it's old fashioned.

Posted 
Native
Spanish
Learning English, German

Valeria.Fontes wrote:
That's it! The "passive role" you've mentioned is the most difficult one to overcome, because you get frustrated. If only people were patient with themselves and insisted on writing until it becomes "natural"! Because it gets better and better indeed, and what you learn from a written mistake belongs to you forever, it's consolidated. I guess I'll copy and paste this comment of yours and send to my students!

Hey thanks! I am really flattered you chose to show what I wrote to your students. I truly believe that making mistakes it's a very important part of the learning process. I am glad you encourage them to do that! 

Posted 
Native
Spanish
Learning English, German

Valeria.Fontes wrote:
Congrats! Communication is always relevant! Through this comment, for example, I've remembered an expression I was trying to use yesterday but couldn't find: pay off. "It worths it" keeps coming to my mind, but I've already learned somewhere in this forun that it's old fashioned.

Thanks! I actually hadn't heard of said expression. Anyway, glad my comments help you one way or another :)

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined11/7/2020LocationBR
Native
Portuguese
Learning English

This topic is very important. I believe that as we live in a world where we use the mobile to communicate each other and one of the functionalities of it is correct our typos, and in that way, we do not memorize that correct way to write some especifics words.

Other day, a person told me that when we traine the writing, we are training in the same way our hability to think and speak in other language, but without talk to someone.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined6/8/2019LocationPH
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, Korean

ZairaI.Uranga wrote:

Congratulations! Truly, practice makes perfect. 

Your supermom,

Apple

Posted 
    Feedback