Quantifiers

Posts0Likes0Joined19/9/2019LocationSão Paulo / BR
Native
Portuguese
Learning English, French, Italian, Spanish

Is it mandatory to use quantifiers in sentences like these:

"Do you have any cofee?", "Can I have some wine?", "I don't have any cats", "Can you speak any other language?". I mean, would it be too weird if I left them out?

Posted 
Posts1630Likes1092Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

Imo all but the last of those sentences would be ok without quantifiers, but it depends on the context. Unfortunately, I don't know the rules that determine when it's acceptable.

In Thailand now. Next up Tanzania and Philippines.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined26/9/2019LocationKR
Native
Korean

I was wondering why they use "some" "any" "others", especially when you ask for something.

I could just say that they sound wrong without those words.

But when you go say those sentences without them, people will still understand. They are not really big words, but just small things supporting sentences.

Posted 
Posts1630Likes1092Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

JaeHong.S wrote:
I could just say that they sound wrong without those words.

In the first 3 sentences it's not wrong to leave them out, it just changes the nuance. For example:

Host: What would you like to drink?

Guest: Do you have coffee?

This is perfectly acceptable and I'd argue just as common as inserting "any" in there. Adding "any" may add the nuance of the guest being concerned that the host might have run out of coffee. Or what about:

Friend 1: I have tea. Do you have coffee?

Friend 2: Yes.

"Any" would be wrong in this case, assuming one friend was inquiring about another friend's drink.

In Thailand now. Next up Tanzania and Philippines.

Posted 
    Feedback