American accent

Posts0Likes0Joined19/9/2019LocationSão Paulo / BR
Native
Portuguese
Learning English, French, Italian, Spanish

Which accent, in America, is considered standard? In Brazil it's the southeast accent, actually comprising Rio de Janeiro and São Paulo's, although "cleansing" them from strong traits... does something similar happen to American standard accent?

Posted 
Posts1630Likes1092Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

I believe there is no agreed upon answer, but I would guess that west coast/Hollywood is the most global.

In Thailand now. Next up Tanzania and Philippines.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined23/9/2019LocationNovi Sad / RS
Native
Serbian
Learning Danish, English, Russian
I believe there is no agreed upon answer, but I would guess that west coast/Hollywood is the most global.

Yeah, I think so as well. There kind of is a General American or Standard American accent, or "broadcast English/news reader English" as some people call it, which is mostly based on the West Coast and Midlands accents. As I've read, the unwritten rule in American TV is that you're not really supposed to sound like you're from anywhere (aka have a strong regional accent).

The Hollywood accent is probably dominant due to the overwhelming popularity of Hollywood movies, shows made and set in California and the general influence of California on the rest of the US and the world.

JEG KAN IKKE FORSTÅ

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined19/9/2019LocationSão Paulo / BR
Native
Portuguese
Learning English, French, Italian, Spanish

Kosta.Cirkovic wrote:
Yeah, I think so as well. There kind of is a General American or Standard American accent, or "broadcast English/news reader English" as some people call it, which is mostly based on the West Coast and Midlands accents. As I've read, the unwritten rule in American TV is that you're not really supposed to sound like you're from anywhere (aka have a strong regional accent).
The Hollywood accent is probably dominant due to the overwhelming popularity of Hollywood movies, shows made and set in California and the general influence of California on the rest of the US and the world.
Yes, exactly the same in Brazil with Portuguese.

Edited 
    Feedback