Cheers!

Posts0Likes0Joined19/9/2019LocationSão Paulo / BR
Native
Portuguese
Learning English, French, Italian, Spanish

Hello native speakers! Can I reply "cheers", instead of "you're welcome", to any thank you situation? Is it exclusively British?

Posted 
Posts1630Likes1092Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

It's British, but becoming more global imo. I sometimes use it to say "goodbye", but I don't know if it's ok to use for "thank you".

In Thailand now. Next up Tanzania and Philippines.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined19/9/2019LocationSão Paulo / BR
Native
Portuguese
Learning English, French, Italian, Spanish

leosmith, I first heard it in London, when I thanked a man for holding a shop door for me to enter. After that, I started paying attention to it, and realised a certain frequency.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined23/9/2019LocationNovi Sad / RS
Native
Serbian
Learning Danish, English, Russian

I have an Australian friend who uses "cheers" all the time, as "thank you", "goodbye", and of course in its traditional purpose, when drinking. After a few weeks of talking to him every day, I started using the word a lot, it was tough to get rid of the habit haha.

JEG KAN IKKE FORSTÅ

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined26/9/2019LocationKR
Native
Korean

This was what I was wondering for whole time while I was watching "Bodyguard" on Netfilx. It is based on UK and those actors and actresses keep saying like "Cheers," every time when they have to say "Excuse me," they instead say, "Cheers."

I think they mostly enjoy using a word, "Cheers." 

It was a bit weird, because in America, you say "Cheers," when you drink... :)

Posted 
    Feedback