Importance of learning alphabetical pronounciation

Posts0Likes0Joined8/7/2018LocationAlmeria / ES
Native
English
Other Arabic - Egyptian, French, German, Spanish

Sometimes as an adult learner it is tempting to want to skip learning the alphabet of a new language especially central European languages where we feel we already recognize the letters as opposed to languages like Japanese Arabic where the characters of signifisignifi significantly different

Posted 
Posts1630Likes1092Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

My first step in learning any language is to learn the alphabet along with pronunciation. Super important.

In Thailand now. Next up Tanzania and Philippines.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined8/7/2018LocationAlmeria / ES
Native
English
Other Arabic - Egyptian, French, German, Spanish

surprising how many skip it i run workshops here with adults who have lived in Spain for decades but can't pronounce the names of the towns they live in and they strongly feel it is beneath them to learn an alphabet! It is difficult to teach a new language from scratch without one but you risk being condescending a lot of the time with adult learners. I feel like saying ... give a man a fish he eats for a day teach a man to fish ... applies here!

Posted 
Posts1630Likes1092Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

Haha, very applicable proverb.

In Thailand now. Next up Tanzania and Philippines.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined23/9/2019LocationNovi Sad / RS
Native
Serbian
Learning Danish, English, Russian

I believe it's the most basic thing to get familiar with the alphabet if you want to start learning a language seriously. You need to know what you're dealing with, right? I also think it's incredibly important to know what to expect from each letter in the alphabet and learn how they're pronounced in words when learning a non-phonetic script like English. And also, individual letter names are just mentioned far too often in regular speech, so they're basically just additional words you have to learn. If you don't know which letter an "aytch" (I hope that at least looks like the pronounciation of the letter H haha) is, you're gonna have a hard time talking about spelling or abbreviations. 

JEG KAN IKKE FORSTÅ

Posted 
Posts18Likes12Joined16/10/2019LocationUS
Native
Danish, English
Learning Chinese - Mandarin, French, German, Macedonian, Norwegian, Spanish

I dissagree, you will learn the pronounciation through exposure to words in context, through listening and reading. Get used to the words how they are pronounced and your brain will automatically make sense of it all. Much more powerful. :)

Posted 
    Feedback