Learning Korean

Posts0Likes0Joined6/8/2019LocationPH
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, Korean

It was during my college years that I started to watch Koreanovelas. 

Later in my working days, during my idle hours in the office, I spend my time watching Korean series. 

And since the Korean culture has boomed and been influential especially to the Philippines, it has been a trend to catch up with Koreanovelas and get fond of the "Oppas". (Ji Chang-Wook fan here!) HAHAHA! 

Not to mention the food influence it has made to the Filipinos, too.

Since reading the subtitles can divide the attention to the show itself, I got curious about studying the Korean language. And these are my self routine studies in learning Korean.

1. Google Translate

Whenever I catch something really interesting phrase, I pause the video and try to google translate it to Korean. And then I play it again to get familiar with the phrase. (Though google translate does not always give you the exact translation, but it can be very useful.)

2. I take down notes.

When usual words or phrases come to the script like "Hi!" - "Annyeonghaseyo!" or "Thank you!" - "Gamsahabnida", I put them in my notes. This way, I can always go back and re-read the words. (Since I'm not very good at memorizing words.)

3. Use the words in your everyday conversations and routines.

In order to get more familiar with the words, I practice to use them every day. I use them to speaking with my friends and family. Plus, it also benefits the person I'm conversing with. 

4. Language Tools

And of course, this site is also very useful to learn the language. Aside from this, it's very easy to use, too. 

These are some of my self-study routines in learning the Korean language. How about you? What are your routines in learning a language? Any tips to learn Korean?

Your supermom,

Apple

Edited 
Posts0Likes0Joined20/9/2019LocationAdelaide / AU
Native
Japanese
Learning English

I do almost the same routines except using Google translator which I did not even come up with! I use online dictionaries to search unfamiliar words and phrases. One of my favourite online dictionaries offers unlimited free vocabulary check tests to every user. Making use of this feature, I can check my vocabulary level consistently and maintain my motivation towards vocabulary build-up. Like google translator you mentioned, modern technology helps us a lot with learning languages!

Yuka.C

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined20/9/2019LocationRizal / PH
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, Russian

This is an excellent routing to learn the language you we are studying. I also watched a few Korean shows. I would love to do the same while I'm learning Russian. I just don't seem to see similar shows in Russian that I can watch.

"Не волнуйтесь"

Edited 
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, Korean

Yuka wrote:
I do almost the same routines except using Google translator which I did not even come up with! I use online dictionaries to search unfamiliar words and phrases. One of my favourite online dictionaries offers unlimited free vocabulary check tests to every user. Making use of this feature, I can check my vocabulary level consistently and maintain my motivation towards vocabulary build-up. Like google translator you mentioned, modern technology helps us a lot with learning languages!

Hi Yuka! that's great, too. Do you know any good Korean Dictionary App I can use?

Your supermom,

Apple

Posted 
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, Korean

jpormento wrote:
This is an excellent routing to learn the language you we are studying. I also watched a few Korean shows. I would love to do the same while I'm learning Russian. I just don't seem to see similar shows in Russian that I can watch.

What Korean shows have you watched? :)

Your supermom,

Apple

Posted 
Posts1630Likes1092Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

AppleMae.Soriano wrote:
Any tips to learn Korean?

I learned Korean from zero to upper intermediate in a little over a year, and wrote about it here. It's really long - sorry about that, but you might find something useful there.

In Thailand now. Next up Tanzania and Philippines.

Edited 
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, Korean

leosmith wrote:
AppleMae.Soriano wrote:
Any tips to learn Korean?

I learned Korean from zero to upper intermediate in a little over a year, and wrote about it here. It's really long - sorry about that, but you might find something useful there.

Thanks, Leo! I'll have a good read about it.

Your supermom,

Apple

Edited 
Posts0Likes0Joined26/9/2019LocationKR
Native
Korean

As I'm a native Korean speaker, I say that it is difficult to learn Korean language. However, I recommend not to lose your interest. As you study and learn Korean day by day, you will feel like your Korean language skill gets improved a lot!!!! Do not give up but be cheerful :)

Posted 
    Feedback