Fixed - Profile languages

Posts54Likes59Joined4/9/2019LocationCórdoba / AR
Native
Spanish
Learning French, German
Other English

Hi there!

Here are some observations I had regarding the language settings and displayed languages.

First, I noticed that languages are divided in different ways in the settings screen (native vs known+learning) and the chat screen (spoken vs learning). So there’s a bit of an overlap between what I consider to be three distinct categories: native languages, languages you speak (non-natively) and languages you are learning. If we were to group them I would rather group the first two (languages you already know).

Furthermore, the native language is automatically set as default for translations in reading mode (it can be switched in the term edit window, but not for hover-over translations). This is a nuisance for me because my native language is Spanish but I prefer to study from English given that there are more resources available and it’s closer to my target language (German). That’s why I had to list English as a native language, which is not the case and could confuse people when looking for chat partners.

Last but not least, I noticed that the chat window displays native languages in both categories (speaks AND is learning). I actually think this division is the right approach, I would just take the spoken languages out of the second column and highlight the native language somehow in the first column (in a different color).

Hope you find this useful!

Edited 
Posts1630Likes1092Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

Good suggestions! We're going to discuss these and your other requests...

In Thailand now. Next up Tanzania and Philippines.

Edited 
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

markoSSS wrote:
First, I noticed that languages are divided in different ways in the settings screen (native vs known+learning) and the chat screen (spoken vs learning). So there’s a bit of an overlap between what I consider to be three distinct categories: native languages, languages you speak (non-natively) and languages you are learning. If we were to group them I would rather group the first two (languages you already know).

Although under profile we only call out 2 groups, native and know/learning, we collect information on level and checkbox for studying/not studying which allows us to appropriately group them depending which tool is being used. A 1 to 1 mapping isn't possible, so changing this wouldn't be desirable. 

Ticket written - clarify meaning of check box.

wrote:
the native language is automatically set as default for translations in reading mode (it can be switched in the term edit window, but not for hover-over translations)

Ticket written

wrote:
Last but not least, I noticed that the chat window displays native languages in both categories (speaks AND is learning)

Ticket written

Posted 
Native
English
Learning German

leosmith wrote:
Ticket written - clarify meaning of check box.

wrote:
the native language is automatically set as default for translations in reading mode (it can be switched in the term edit window, but not for hover-over translations)

Ticket written
wrote:
Last but not least, I noticed that the chat window displays native languages in both categories (speaks AND is learning)
Ticket written

The last 2 are done; still working on the first one.

Posted 
Native
Spanish
Learning French, German
Other English

I’ve just tested this. It’s working great!

Posted 
Native
English
Learning German

Glad to hear it. Could you please confirm this one in the other thread?

Posted 
Native
Spanish
Learning French, German
Other English

Hi, leo. I’ve just added an update to the other thread you mentioned.

Regarding the chat language description, it’s definitely much clearer than before. However, and although admittedly nitpicking at this point, I still think the native language should be highlighted somehow. As of now, it’s not clear whether my native language is Spanish or English.

One could argue that it’s clear because I’m located in Argentina, but I’ve already seen some users who are expats living in a foreign country. I think this could be solved simply by placing an asterisk next to the word Native in the header and next to the corresponding language. Another way would be to use a different background color for the native language or just place it on a third category (like in the forum user descriptions).

Posted 
Native
English
Learning German

You're right - I missed that. Writing a ticket...  

Posted 
Native
English
Learning German

Ok, these are all done now. There's a note explaining the checked boxes besides the languages, and we put an asterix* beside native language in chat. 

Posted 
    Feedback